Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tim100

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 25, 2009
any ipad 3rd gen owners upgrade to the 4? what do you think?

Last edited:

kalt

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
I did, mainly because I wanted 64gb and my ipad 3 was 32gb. I'd regretted not getting the 64gb iPad 3 for a while now. If I had, I would not have upgraded to the iPad 4.

But now that I have the iPad 4, I love it - it's definitely faster than the 3, wifi seems to go faster too.

tim100

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 25, 2009
how many think the ipad 5 will have a same design as the ipad mini/iphone 5 but bigger?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Yep. :)

For me the "rental" cost of $140 for 8 months use of my 3rd gen was reasonable, and the updates present in the 4th gen were just what I wanted and fixed a few deficiencies.

Will be adding a Mini to the iPads here at the World HQ for Christmas too.

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
I did earlier today (store had lots of big iPads but no minis), the wife will get the 3. (Though she, likely, will get a mini)

Haven't yet unbowed it, waiting till kids go to bed.

Tezcatlipoca

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
Cambridge, UK
I almost made an impulse buy on the first day of pre-ordering, but the launch allocation was sold out.

I'm still tempted, but have "calmed down" a bit regarding my "need" to have the latest version.

I was originally intending to buy an iPad 4 assuming that it was released a year after the iPad 3... But given that it has been released "early", I may just skip a generation and wait for the iPad 5 (which hopefully will have a redesign to make it thinner and give it an IGZO display).

One thing that does still tempt me is that if I do wait another year, the resale value of my iPad 3 will be even lower than it already is now.

tim100

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 25, 2009
i wonder if the ipad will get a redesign next year to look like the mini and iPhone

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
i wonder if the ipad will get a redesign next year to look like the mini and iPhone

It should.. the hardware is still ahead of the software. No need for more processing power but a thinner, sleeker looking, more battery efficient iPad 5 would sell very well. Okay scrap the battery thing, they'll keep it at 10-12 hours so when they bump up the processing power next time, we won't complain.

tim100

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 25, 2009
I almost made an impulse buy on the first day of pre-ordering, but the launch allocation was sold out.

I'm still tempted, but have "calmed down" a bit regarding my "need" to have the latest version.

I was originally intending to buy an iPad 4 assuming that it was released a year after the iPad 3... But given that it has been released "early", I may just skip a generation and wait for the iPad 5 (which hopefully will have a redesign to make it thinner and give it an IGZO display).

One thing that does still tempt me is that if I do wait another year, the resale value of my iPad 3 will be even lower than it already is now.

i am thinking about waiting to the ipad 5 too.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007

Yeah, it makes sense. I have the 2 and will probably wait till the 5 comes out before thinking of upgrading.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
My iPad 4 is a bit faster & smoother than my 3.

Unless one has an original or iPad 2, I cannot in good faith suggest the 4. It's not enough of an "upgrade" over the 3.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
i used to have an iPad 3, which i bought for full price on October 3. apple allowed me to return it and pre-order the iPad 4, which i did. i got the iPad 4 and in all honesty the difference was not very significant. app folders opened up a split second more quickly and web pages loaded maybe 1-2 seconds more quickly. games played exactly the same (Metal Storm) and despite the A6X being twice as fast as the A5X, the A5 on a non-retina display still plays Metal Storm more fluidly. that Retina screen truly is a beast and i still feel that the A6X isn't fully adequate for the Retina. but i digress...that's a topic of discussion for another forum.

i saw that the iPad 3 refurbs substantially dropped in price right when the iPad 4 was announced. the iPad 3/4 64GB LTE that originally was $829 brand new was now $679... talk about a steep price drop ($150). i returned the iPad 4 and bought the iPad 3 version for $679. before i did this though, i thought about what my intentions were with this iPad 3. was i intending to hold onto it for 3 years or am i buying it to use for a year and then flip when the redesigned iPad 5 comes out? most likely it will be the latter. thus i concluded that going with the iPad 3 was the better way to go. an analogy to this situation would be trying to decide to buy a used car or a brand new car if you knew you would be selling it soon. most logical people would buy the used vehicle since after 1 year of ownership it will not have depreciated from the purchase price as much as the brand new one. going back to the iPad, the $679 iPad 3 64GB LTE iPad a year from now when the iPad 5 comes out, will probably have a resale dip to $600. the iPad 4 64GB LTE on the other hand, will likely drop from $829 down to the $679 price that the refurb iPad 3 used to be at due to downward pricing pressure from Apple.com iPad 4 refurbs. in my situation, after doing the simple math, the iPad 3 is the better way to go. however, not everyone's situation is the same as mine as they might not be planning to upgrade to the iPad 5. this scenario also doesn't end up being as extreme if you are comparing base model 16GB wifi models and you throw in Black Friday pricing too. that gap ends up being more narrow and then i might say just go with the iPad 4.

moving onto the other new features of the iPad 4. i have an iPhone 4S and i've owned iPods since 2005 so to be honest i won't miss the Lightning port - i'm too entrenched in 30-pin cables and accessories for the benefits of the new port (reversible) to negate the inconveniences. i have about a dozen 30-pin cables - several throughout the house, car, office, several at the lake house, briefcase, backpack, etc just to name a few. while wifi sync is great, it's not ideal for transferring 15GB of Season 2 of Game of Thrones to my iPad. i know eventually the Lightning cables will be generic, but they're not now and they won't be $0.99 probably for 2 more years. again like i said above, i am thinking about the now and for the next year.

not having a Facetime HD camera in the iPad 3 is OK - it's not like 720p will make my face more attractive. if anything it'll make it uglier lol. my girlfriend has the Mini so i at least get to see her in 720p when we occasionally Facetime which is maybe once every 2 months when i am on a business trip. if i was in a long distance relationship though, then i could see the 720p Facetime HD camera being a must.

so yeah, that's pretty much my reasoning why i went from and iPad 3, to and iPad 4, back to and iPad 3. i'm sure many will disagree with my logic and that's OK - that's why we're consumers...we each have our own opinion

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Here's the problem with upgrading to an iPad 4. The problem is you get iOS 6 and iOS 6 is a huge step down.

Getting Do Not Disturb, VIP Mail, Facebook integration, a clock app, and Apple Maps is not worth losing the YouTube App, Google Maps w/Street View, and the Home Sharing feature (which is broken in iOS 6) over.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I mainly upgraded to the iPad 4 as I want to gift my iPad 3 to someone. I'm surprised to find that I actually prefer the "warmer" screen I got on the iPad 4, but screens vary on the iPads and this was luck of the draw. It is a little faster but for web browsing which I primarily use it for that isn't a deal breaker. It also charges faster with the lightening connector and the battery seems to last longer (subjective as I haven't timed it). I love my iPad 4, but if I didn't want to give my iPad 3 to a friend's grandson I probably would have been happy to keep it and pass on this upgrade.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
There'd be no point in upgrading from 3 to 4. I'd even churn out one more generational use for iPad 2. I think upgrading from iPad 1 to iPad 4 is justifiable, though.

In my case -- I went from no iPad to iPad 4 - and I'm very satisfied with my purchase. I plan on using this thing for at least a good three years before I'd consider upgrading!

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
There'd be no point in upgrading from 3 to 4. I'd even churn out one more generational use for iPad 2. I think upgrading from iPad 1 to iPad 4 is justifiable, though.

In my case -- I went from no iPad to iPad 4 - and I'm very satisfied with my purchase. I plan on using this thing for at least a good three years before I'd consider upgrading!

Agreed. They are becoming like laptops. No one buys a new laptop every year. Happy with my 3, my gf still has the 1!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.