Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:23 AM   #1
CalWizrd
macrumors 6502

Love the mini... hate the smart cover

I got my 64GB Verizon mini last Thursday, and have been using it for the last 4 days. As far as the device itself, I love it.

I have no issues with the screen size/resolution, and I have retina devices to comapre it with (iPad 3rd gen and iPhone 5). I like the size and weight, and find it very easy to use holding it in one hand.

The smart cover, on the other hand, is a disappointment.

I assume they went with the different hinge configuration for two reasons... 1) the aluminum hinge would probably scratch and mark up the black version (the one I have), and 2) the new configuration is probably cheaper to manufacture.

The biggest problem I see is that the new hinge mechanism leaves the smart cover way too "floppy" on top of the screen. What I mean is that it can move around on the surface too much... the larger smart cover with the aluminum hinge is much more stable in place.

Just my thoughts.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad