Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, a report from french site MacBidouille claimed that Apple may not be shipping their new iMac until early 2013, despite Apple's official promises that the new iMac models would ship before year's end.

newimac.jpg
9to5Mac now reassures us that Apple's original plans are still intact for the iMac. The new 21.5" iMacs are said to already be shipping to distribution centers, while the 27" iMacs are due in December. Supplies, however, are likely to be very short through the rest of the year.

Apple continues to list November and December availability dates for the new iMacs in their online store. Pre-orders are not yet available but are expected by the end of November.

Article Link: New iMacs Still Expected to Ship in November-December

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
You know, at first I whined a little about the absent optical drive... but then I thought about the last time I used the one I already have. On both my MacBook and iMac, it's been months. I'd be fine with having to pull out a USB optical drive every few months. I just wish they used that space for something better instead of just making it thinner.

Still a sexy machine though.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
This seems to be gathering momentum....I just hope it's right this time. I have two friends waiting for 21.5's....They are growing impatient...It's hard to explain the Apple infrastructure regarding new products to newbies!

iThinkIt

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Florida, USA
You know, at first I whined a little about the absent optical drive... but then I thought about the last time I used the one I already have. On both my MacBook and iMac, it's been months. I'd be fine with having to pull out a USB optical drive every few months. I just wish they used that space for something better instead of just making it thinner.

I haven't used an optical drive on any macbooks in over 4 years... the only optical drive in the house is attached to the mac mini on the entertainment system.

aprofetto8

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010

I used an optical drive once. In 1994.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
And Apple's stock is up $16 so far today. Good Monday wake up to. :)

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
YEAH, Macrumors there is nothing found in ur statement to make it front page post, we can see that on Apple site, it's still November and December.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Good. Not because I'm buying one I'm still waiting to see what the Mac Pro Is gonna be but I won't to see the new iMac in the apple store

wmikulic

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2003
You know, at first I whined a little about the absent optical drive...

My son has been using a first generation Mac mini and needed a new computer. As soon as the "new" iMac was announced with no optical, we went to the nearest Apple store and bought the current iMac. There's just too many school assignments where the product has to be turned in on CD or DVD and I'm a believer the optical should be part of the computer. I've owned iMacs since the original tube screened one, and not once has a desktop's thickness been an issue for me. What a great business model, remove features so people have to buy add-ons. Maybe they should remove the hard drive/SSD so they can charge extra for that too?

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
this would mean an EPIC FAIL for French rumor website Macbidouille :D

LOL. The number of ad pageviews that probably generated? Not likely. More like payday.

Frankly, alot of super loopy mac rumors these days seem to be as much "whoring for page views" as trying to be informative.

[ As far as an inaccurate track record for Macbidouille ... it wouldn't be the first time they were wrong. ]

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
This seems to be gathering momentum....I just hope it's right this time. I have two friends waiting for 21.5's....They are growing impatient...It's hard to explain the Apple infrastructure regarding new products to newbies!

Yes, well stated. Considering the number of new products this year, along with the executive realignment, and changes in the supply chain, it could be worse.

I remember being upset waiting for my Grey iMac 400mhz DV because of a shortage of Optical Drives. This was decades ago.

Try to remember, "Good things come to those who wait". It may seem cavalier, but it's true. :apple:

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
Great news. Need to be able to pick up a 2013 model and the delay would probably hinder that to late 2013. This news could mean updated Haswell versions around July-oct.

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
My son has been using a first generation Mac mini and needed a new computer. As soon as the "new" iMac was announced with no optical, we went to the nearest Apple store and bought the current iMac. There's just too many school assignments where the product has to be turned in on CD or DVD and I'm a believer the optical should be part of the computer. I've owned iMacs since the original tube screened one, and not once has a desktop's thickness been an issue for me. What a great business model, remove features so people have to buy add-ons. Maybe they should remove the hard drive/SSD so they can charge extra for that too?

I agree that depending on your needs, you're not going to want to lose the optical drive. However, is it that bad to just use a USB drive? It's worth sacrificing the built-in drive in order to have the latest chipsets for the exact same amount of money.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Are you referring to unsubstantiated rumors from questionable sites that (unsurprisingly) turn out to be false?

Or that articles are being written about nothing at all. And it's not even a slow news day.

*Piece of advice*
If nothing has changed, you do not need to write an article saying nothing has changed.

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Since they've been announced for so long....I sure hope unlike the rMBP that Apple will actually have a descent amount of supply on launch day...

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
I believe it when I see it.

They may "announce" it (or accept pre-orders) on the last day of november, but maybe just for a small number of countries and small number of iMacs available.

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
I agree that depending on your needs, you're not going to want to lose the optical drive. However, is it that bad to just use a USB drive? It's worth sacrificing the built-in drive in order to have the latest chipsets for the exact same amount of money.

You would have the latest chipset regardless of removing the OD. Apple has been given latest chipset from 2010. Also agree with his statement remove OD then say buy external. Most people will buy Apples external drive meaning more money on a product that the price has already been increased compared to previous years.
Also the point of a AIO is to avoid clutter on your desk as Apple use to say. Now people are willing to disagree with that just because Apple say so. SMDH

I understand some people don't mind being mugged/ripped of but smart people don't. Yes Apple products have a great design and premium but doesn't mean you move like a zombie or sheep defending blatant money making tactics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.