Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:23 AM   #1
CalWizrd
macrumors 6502

Love the mini... hate the smart cover

I got my 64GB Verizon mini last Thursday, and have been using it for the last 4 days. As far as the device itself, I love it.

I have no issues with the screen size/resolution, and I have retina devices to comapre it with (iPad 3rd gen and iPhone 5). I like the size and weight, and find it very easy to use holding it in one hand.

The smart cover, on the other hand, is a disappointment.

I assume they went with the different hinge configuration for two reasons... 1) the aluminum hinge would probably scratch and mark up the black version (the one I have), and 2) the new configuration is probably cheaper to manufacture.

The biggest problem I see is that the new hinge mechanism leaves the smart cover way too "floppy" on top of the screen. What I mean is that it can move around on the surface too much... the larger smart cover with the aluminum hinge is much more stable in place.

Just my thoughts.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:26 AM   #2
profets
macrumors 65816

I agree.

I'm a big fan of the smart cover on the iPad, been using one since the iPad 2 launched.

But my wife has an iPad mini with the smart cover and it does sit ok, but feels too loose or floppy when folding it behind while using the device, almost not comfortable to have there at all.
profets is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:35 AM   #3
Guy Mancuso
macrumors 6502a

Agree I'm not crazy about the Smart Cover. Very nice device the mini but the Smart Cover brings the experience down a notch. I ordered a back , cover setup from Hong Kong. See how that will work. New buyers not sure I would get the Smart Cover. I'll hand mine down to my son to get him started for his mini for Christmas.

----------

I ordered this . Hopefully it will be better

http://www.jisoncase.com/product/Cla...iPad-mini.html
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:35 AM   #4
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

True, I returned mine as it was pretty useless! It keeps opening in a bag regardless of how well you place it in there. Why no Smart Case? (Waiting to see if this sells Apple before committing yourself to making a case?)
The stinger is this miniature piece of crap polycrap is priced the same as the full size version when it should be priced at 9.99 for all the use it is!!! iRIPOFF
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:49 AM   #5
Scarpad
macrumors 65816

I won't be getting a mini till after xmas, but I've ordered a plastic backing shell on ebay , I'll use that and probably a Sleeve of somesort to store the mini in when carrying it around.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:54 AM   #6
RenoG
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
True, I returned mine as it was pretty useless! It keeps opening in a bag regardless of how well you place it in there. Why no Smart Case? (Waiting to see if this sells Apple before committing yourself to making a case?)
The stinger is this miniature piece of crap polycrap is priced the same as the full size version when it should be priced at 9.99 for all the use it is!!! iRIPOFF
Wait, what!! its the same price as the full size smart cover!?!?!
RenoG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:56 AM   #7
BrianSoCal
macrumors member

Get one these and thank me later

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00
BrianSoCal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:00 PM   #8
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSoCal View Post
Sorry Cali, I am not really into Leatherette!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:24 PM   #9
AndersOlson
macrumors member

^Agreed, I prefer TPU or a Poly case
64GB iPhone 5
AndersOlson is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:12 PM   #10
davideotape
macrumors 6502

i love the ipad smart cover, but i had the mini smart cover for literally 25 minutes before i walked right back into the apple store and returned it.

the missing extra fold is sloppy, the magnet, while seemingly stronger, doesn't catch as cleanly, the thing feels more cheaply made, and the whole thing just isn't designed well for the new device, feels like an afterthought. and yes, $39, the same price as the full sized version.

for maybe $10-15 less than that I just ordered 3 cases online based on a few suggestions from these threads.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:31 PM   #11
MacDarcy
macrumors 6502a

I am still waiting for my white, 64gig, AT&T iPad mini from Fed Ex to arrive, but I did get a FREE smart cover sent to me when I called up to ask Apple where my iPad mini was. So I will keep it regardless. When my iPad mini does arrive, I will test it out. If I don't like it, it won't matter cause I gots it fo free. Heh heh heh.

I kinda prefer a cover that covers the front and back anyway. Apple makes one for the full sized iPad, but not the mini yet.
MacDarcy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:09 PM   #12
Appl3FTW
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDarcy View Post
I am still waiting for my white, 64gig, AT&T iPad mini from Fed Ex to arrive, but I did get a FREE smart cover sent to me when I called up to ask Apple where my iPad mini was. So I will keep it regardless. When my iPad mini does arrive, I will test it out. If I don't like it, it won't matter cause I gots it fo free. Heh heh heh.

I kinda prefer a cover that covers the front and back anyway. Apple makes one for the full sized iPad, but not the mini yet.
uhm both the smartcovers from apple are front only...
Appl3FTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:23 PM   #13
virginblue4
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appl3FTW View Post
He's talking about the smart case for the regular iPad....

iPhone 5S, gold, iOS 8.1
iPad mini 2, silver, iOS 8.1
Late 2012 27" iMac - 3.4GHz i7, 1TB Fusion, 24GB RAM, 680MX 2GB
virginblue4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:50 PM   #14
MacDarcy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appl3FTW View Post
Not true. Go to an Applestore....they just came out with a smart cover that covers the back as well for the regular sized iPad.

Also, I still have my original black apple iPad cover for my first gen iPad. Thing is tattered, but still does the job. :-)
MacDarcy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:58 PM   #15
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDarcy View Post
Not true. Go to an Applestore....they just came out with a smart cover that covers the back as well for the regular sized iPad.

Also, I still have my original black apple iPad cover for my first gen iPad. Thing is tattered, but still does the job. :-)
Im not sure the smart case would fit Ipad 2, last weekend there was a sale 50% off for smart cover Ipad 2 but it only cover the front so i have to invest on another incipio slim back case anyway. It just seems dumb to have to purchase 2 different case and use at the same time.

Still Smart case dont have very good review as there is possible gap between the back cover and the back of ipad so will see.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:08 PM   #16
trvsglr
macrumors member

I got the red smart cover for my black mini and I really love the way it looks. I too don't like how you cant fold it when you open it like on my iPad 2, and for some reason my mini smart cover does not want to stay down. It just seems to keep lifting itself up which is very irritating. I'll end up keeping it but i think I'll at least exchange it. I'll have to check my slip but I'm pretty sure i paid $50 for mine from Best Buy
trvsglr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:22 PM   #17
LizKat
macrumors 68020

So far I actually like how the smart cover works on my iPad mini. I didn't have an iPad 2 so I don't really have a way of comparing, I guess. I used a Belkin thing around my iPad 1, just something that protected the back and the edges. It was a static arrangement.

Anyway the smart cover so far seems to hold up the device for me just fine on a coffee table for watching video. When I use it to read stuff, I just fold it flat behind. No complaints, so maybe ignorance might be bliss for me in this instance?!

I got the red one. Gotta say I haven't misplaced the device around the house yet, wow! I really like the bright red.
LizKat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:25 PM   #18
EMAN19
macrumors 6502

I quite like the Smart Cover. This is my first iPad and Smart Cover so I haven't experienced the large Smart Cover, but oh well.
EMAN19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:40 PM   #19
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68030

I want a all in one clear case back with a colored front. All of the cases Ive seen so far use a colored back. The device is so pretty why not show it off...
AdonisSMU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:06 AM   #20
EMAN19
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post
I want a all in one clear case back with a colored front. All of the cases Ive seen so far use a colored back. The device is so pretty why not show it off...
That sounds like a good idea, actually. The front part of this device is a beauty.
EMAN19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:09 AM   #21
bizzle
macrumors 6502a

The STM Skinny is pretty decent.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:47 AM   #22
Chocolatemilty
macrumors 6502

I'm not happy with my Smart Cover at all. It's just too flimsy. Does anyone know if the Smart Cover can be returned now under the holiday return policy? It was received after oct. 27th, but I'm unsure if Apple's honoring ipad mini accessories too....
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:49 AM   #23
kodeman53
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolatemilty View Post
Does anyone know if the Smart Cover can be returned now under the holiday return policy?
Apple knows.
kodeman53 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:50 AM   #24
Chocolatemilty
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodeman53 View Post
Apple knows.
Indeed. I shall call them tomorrow.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:21 AM   #25
caligurl
macrumors 65816

i like it well enough..... especially compared to the alternatives which are nothing or a full case..... but i just hate the colors! the pink is washed out... the grey is ugly.... what were they thinking when they didn't do a black one? i wonder if i could buy some fabric paint and paint it black?

nothing worries me that i'll drop something on my mini and break the screen i plan to buy a sleeve (the coach e reader case) for carrying it around... but when i'm using it around the house and just leave it on the coffee table or my desk i like the idea of that little bit of extra protection!

i haven't found any cases that i really like.... that poetic one looks pretty thin... but most i looked at when in best buy just added too much bulk for me...

we got our cases added to our order free... but i think i'm going to see about doing an exchange in the store for something i can use!
caligurl is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad