Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
So back to the June release dates? It's not that big of a deal people, just three months sooner than the last two years. The only unfortunate part for me and all the other iPhone 5 people is that if it's still June when the iPhone 6 comes out our 2-year upgrade won't be due for at least another three months.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
This makes sense to me. If the iPad Mini and iPods are going to be Apple's stronger Christmas products every year, they could make some breathing room by moving the big iPad and the iPhone back to a Summer release.

A summer release for the full sized iPad is far enough past christmas that people won't hold back on buying one, which I think the March schedule sort of lead to. I also doubt that Apple intends for the fairly minor 4th gen iPad revision to last for a whole 12 months. It seems obvious to me that they would move the full sized iPad to the iPad Mini's body style (thinner, flat back) if they could, but they're waiting on the IGZO screen tech to make it happen.

The time of year that they release the phone really doesn't matter because most people buy phones on a 2 year cycle dependent on their contract.

I don't know that Digitimes' report is at all accurate here, but it does make sense, which is better than most stuff from Digitimes.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Killer Hardware? Or Hardware Choices?

So what's Apple up to here?

Are they going to try to keep up with the latest hardware advancements by introducing new stuff twice as fast?

Or are they going to expand the line with whole new series of iStuff? iPhone Nao anyone?

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
We hear this all the time but I do think the Iphone 5S might be put back to August/September if Iphone 5 sales are strong which i expect them to be.

Makes sense for a 5th Ipad sooner as it needs a redesign to make it like Ipad mini.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
Really dislike how Apple releases new stuff in 1 year or in a half year. Because they know people have the "I need the latest and greatest" mindset.

Why? If they do, you dont like them for updating in high speed and if they don't you are going to buy a Samsung because you think they are slow and don't inovate.

There seems no way that Apple can please people anymore :confused:

I think they have no choise as Samsung, Google and Amazon (and the rest) is bringing new phones and tables into the arena on a weekly basis. The one-year cycle is not working anymnore today

Last edited:

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
Really dislike how Apple releases new stuff in 1 year or in a half year. Because they know people have the "I need the latest and greatest" mindset.

This is a problem with people's "I need the latest and greatest" mindset and not a problem with Apple.

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
I want a bigger screen. The GS3's 4.8 inch is awesome. Not everyone has little dainty hands and can't handle it.

If this means the iPhone 6 comes a couple of months faster, I'm all for it. 5s summer 2013. Lets go.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
....the slow dawn of realisation that I will be buying and updating Apple products for the rest of my life....

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
I'd like them to go back to the summer release, I hate getting a new iPhone when the first thing I do is test the camera..... I want to take bright blue sky pictures, not dreary dull British grey sky pictures!

aaronsullivan

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Rochester, NY
Early 2013 = Jan thru April
Middle 2013 = May thru August
Late 2013 = Sept thru Dec

So by my own accounting Apple could release these in late August and that would be "middle of next year."

Exactly my thoughts when I read the article. This is about ramping up, and the suppliers of the parts are the ones that will feel it ahead of the actual release. To me this just sounds like perfect timing for the next releases. We won't be seeing a new iPad in the beginning of 2013, I'd say.

What WILL Apple do in the early part of 2013 with the iPad gap, though? Mac Pros are the only thing promised. Apple TV is still in quagmire due to wheeling and dealing. Should be interesting.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
These are EXTREMELY competitive markets. If Apple were to keep to one update per year, they could not keep up with the competition.

If you are wealthy and have a need to have the absolutely latest and greatest gadget in your hands, enjoy yourself. If you are not wealthy but have the same need, you might want to re-evaluate your priorities.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
The good news is perhaps Apple will bring a truly new, innovative iPhone to market.

They need it for a variety of reasons _not_ related to profit.

Here's but one example of how Apple is being thought of, outside of Apple's "walled garden of happiness"...

"Google's Android is eating Apple's lunch"

"The pace of innovation in Android is faster than Apple," said Gartner vice president of mobile computing Ken Dulaney.

"They are just trying harder; Apple is way behind in that area."

http://goo.gl/KyGbx

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
This is so stupid. Obviously they are going to be making something for middle of next year.

I'm going to go make an article and just write "Apple to come out with new things next year" and see if it makes it on the front page.

fredf

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2008
I still think it's the software that is lagging not the hardware (re: the iPhone). What hardware gains are you folks looking for?

I want to see a number of iOS enhancements. The current hardware is adequate.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
So what's Apple up to here?

Are they going to try to keep up with the latest hardware advancements by introducing new stuff twice as fast?

Or are they going to expand the line with whole new series of iStuff? iPhone Nao anyone?

With the current competition, Apple has come with new stuff in a faster pace, otherwise they will loose marketshare. Just look at RIm and Nokia they have been sleeping for a short while and ............

----------

This is a problem with people's "I need the latest and greatest" mindset and not a problem with Apple.

Correct, I still have a 4 and it works fine for me. I am not going to pay hunderds of dollars just to have the latest gadget.

akatsuki

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
I suspect we are going to see a re-alignment of all releases. Right now things are getting too intense at the end of the year

I could see something like:

end of Q2 - iPhone release (tick-tock releases); full iPad release
end of Q3 - mini iPad for Christmas season; iPod releases

I'd prefer they moved computer releases to a similar schedule

end of Q2 - MB releases for school season (tick-tick-tick-tock?)
end of Q3 - desktop releases

I don't think that level of predictability would hurt them much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.