Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malman89

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Bit surprised to not see one of these around. College ball tipped off last night with some decent games and some great laughs.

Some highlights (or Not Top 10 candidates):

- Another year, another great event for the troops from Michigan State with a game vs. UConn in the Armed Forces Classic at the Ramstein Air Force Base in Germany, regardless of the outcome for Sparty. There's a lot of moving/young parts for State, combined with an always tough early Izzo schedule, results in the team taking some early lumps.

I fully expect them to grow and challenge Indiana in the B1G. Good showing by UConn beginning their (sort of) post Calhoun era. How odd was that seeing him courtside commentating on the game? I hope he distances himself from the program a bit.

- On the flip side, how about those copycat gimmick carrier matchups all getting cancelled or delayed? 0/3 in 2012, way to go. Sorry, but no one can match the matchup (MSU vs. UNC), day (Veterans Day and 11-11-11), atmosphere and uniqueness of the original last year. FL/G'town had to call it quits after one half and Marquette/OSU didn't even get started. The SDSU/Syracuse carrier game was pushed back to Sunday, but who cares at this point? Time to put this event to bed. No one can top the first and the results this year were pitiful.

- UK slipped by a young and impressive Maryland team last night thanks to a former walk on bench guard, Jarrod Polson. Nerlens Noel looked over-matched.

I know there was a nice set of other games out there last night, but I'll leave things at that.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Damn I just logged on to make this thread.

Oh well. Here's to basketball season!

Amen!

And, of course, I must represent....

416px-Seton_Hall_Pirates_Logo.svg.png

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
It would be nice to see this thread go a whole season and not just March Madness like seems to have been the case the past few years.

Nice surprise win for UConn last night. New coach and nothing to play for wasn't sure what team would show up.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
It would be nice to see this thread go a whole season and not just March Madness like seems to have been the case the past few years.

Nice surprise win for UConn last night. New coach and nothing to play for wasn't sure what team would show up.

Agreed. But UConn should have been ranked anyway. I don't think it's a huge upset or anything.

I was upset that the Ohio State - Marquette Carrier Classic was canceled. Though obviously it makes sense.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Agreed. But UConn should have been ranked anyway. I don't think it's a huge upset or anything.

I was upset that the Ohio State - Marquette Carrier Classic was canceled. Though obviously it makes sense.
UConn wasn't ranked because of the way they collapsed last season.

malman89

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I guess I'll just keep tooting my team's own horn since they're one of the few playing meaningful games this time of year.

Man, what a game between MSU and Kansas. Maybe there won't be growing pains, but just more distinct peaks and valleys with this younger and re-arranged Izzo squad. That looked like March ball in November.

The Duke/UK game looks pretty good right now. I love the idea behind the Champions Classic. No reason good ball can't be played in November.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Nice long fought 2 OT win for UConn against cross state rivals. The Paradise Jam has turned into a nice tournament. Maybe the best early season tourneys.

Now lets see what happens if Maryland and Rutgers move to the Big 12. Does UConn get invited to the ACC as is being rumored.

malman89

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Michigan
TV markets or not, I just don't really enjoy the prospect of getting Maryland and Rutgers to join the Big Ten. Mehh.

Big win for OK State over NC State in their tournament. I knew the ACC wouldn't be a given for them.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
Nice long fought 2 OT win for UConn against cross state rivals. The Paradise Jam has turned into a nice tournament. Maybe the best early season tourneys.

Now lets see what happens if Maryland and Rutgers move to the Big 12. Does UConn get invited to the ACC as is being rumored.

Quinnipiac is a rival now? ;)

I'm surprised UCONN hasn't been invited to the ACC yet. I thought once Syracuse left, Uconn would follow.

Watching the Big East fall apart has been a huge bummer. It's unfortunate that schools like Seton Hall and St. Johns - who don't have football teams - have to sit back & watch this mass exodus.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Quinnipiac is a rival now? ;)

I'm surprised UCONN hasn't been invited to the ACC yet. I thought once Syracuse left, Uconn would follow.

Watching the Big East fall apart has been a huge bummer. It's unfortunate that schools like Seton Hall and St. Johns - who don't have football teams - have to sit back & watch this mass exodus.
They are considered state foes I guess. Although UConn has never ost to a state team in 27 years.:p

The thought was that Rutgers and UConn would go to the ACC, with Rutgers planning to move Big whatever it is now the thought is that the ACC would add UConn. If that happens expect Louisville to bail on the Big East next.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Big Ten - ACC Challenge going on right now.

Guess the Maryland - Northwestern game means the Big Ten wins either way :cool:

So far Big Ten up 2-1 with the Big Ten's loss coming with VA Tech over Iowa

ACC loss Michigan over NC State and Minnesota over Florida State

malman89

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Looks like a 6-5 B1G lead with the toss up being OSU/Duke, which seems to be a great game.

Penn State is getting outclassed in the JV matchup vs. BC.

Illinois pulled away from Ga. Tech in the 2nd half.

Virginia somewhat surprisingly beats Wisconsin. I know Wisconsin is down this year, but still wasn't expecting that.

Purdue gets a quick lead and coasts to a win over Clemson.

And Michigan State lays a dud against Miami. I'll give Miami some credit for being 4-1, but MSU is going to be a very unpredictable and volatile team until they grow, gel, and Harris gets 100%. They barely beat Boise State, didn't look great at times vs. Oakland, and survived a scare vs. UL-Lafayette in their last 3 games - not good results.

---

How about Boise, though? Going into Nebraska and knocking off Creighton. Really impressive stuff. Maybe this plus their tight game vs. MSU shows they're for real. So much for Grantland writing some nonsense about Creighton being the most likely team to go undefeated.

malman89

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Michigan
It's a bit odd going to a university who never received much coverage to get a fair bit in the past 7 days.

A game that should not be forgotten - Mississippi State and Loyola meet Saturday for the first time since historic game.

First a solid game against Michigan State where they lead for over a half and fought back and forth the rest of the way, which really messed me up being a life-long Spartan fan and LUC alumnus, and now the 50 year anniversary match up to celebrate the Game of Change.

Props to ESPN for the coverage, but bit bummed they couldn't even put it on ESPN2 on what is certainly going to be a boring programming night.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
So the Big East is on the verge of collapse as the 7 core basketball only teams are going to vote on whether to leave or disband the conference.

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
Woo hoo! My gf bought us tickets to the Ohio State - Kansas game in Columbus.

Definitely looking to see 2 top ten teams play it out.

That will be a good game. I'm a Purdue fan and I'll never forget the game in the 3rd round of the tournament between Purdue and Kansas last year. I was half-ready to strip all my clothes off and streak to the airport at the end of the game. :D :(

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
So the Big East is on the verge of collapse as the 7 core basketball only teams are going to vote on whether to leave or disband the conference.

I'm actually happy about this, although we don't really know where they will go or how they'll figure everything out.

I'm a Seton Hall alum and frankly I'm glad all of these schools are taking a stand. The Big East historically has been one of the strongest basketball conferences and the fact that they have been so focused on football has been infuriating.

It was a conference built for basketball, and the fact they seem to have forgotten that will be its downfall.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I'm actually happy about this, although we don't really know where they will go or how they'll figure everything out.

I'm a Seton Hall alum and frankly I'm glad all of these schools are taking a stand. The Big East historically has been one of the strongest basketball conferences and the fact that they have been so focused on football has been infuriating.

It was a conference built for basketball, and the fact they seem to have forgotten that will be its downfall.
The thinking is that they form a catholic league and invite Xavier, Saint Louis, Dayton, Creighton, Gonzaga and possibly Saint Mary's. Either disband the Big East and start a new conference or reform the Big East as basketball only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.