Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:30 AM   #1
seniorchang
macrumors member

Apple TV Views/UI of Shared Media

The only thing about my apple TV bothering me is the fact that the media shared through my iMac does not get the same love UI wise as the stuff you can buy from itunes.

In the tv show or movie seciton you have those wonderful poster views, whereas in the shared media section ("Computer") you only get a list view and seasons of a tv show are not grouped together for example.

Does anybody know if this is likely to change in the future?
Maybe with itunes 11?

Or doesn't apple want this section to look nice b/c they want me to buy everything of their store?
seniorchang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:36 AM   #2
mic j
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorchang View Post
The only thing about my apple TV bothering me is the fact that the media shared through my iMac does not get the same love UI wise as the stuff you can buy from itunes.

In the tv show or movie seciton you have those wonderful poster views, whereas in the shared media section ("Computer") you only get a list view and seasons of a tv show are not grouped together for example.

Maybe with itunes 11?

Or doesn't apple want this section to look nice b/c they want me to buy everything of their store?
I suspect Apple does not want to make the Computer section look too nice. But also, to get that look, the user would have to find and add background image metadata as well as cover art. Can be done, but in my experience, only the most avid users want to go to that trouble. The rest of the "casual" users would be left with a big, probably ugly, generic background. I would be happy with just a larger description field.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:29 AM   #3
X5-599
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorchang View Post

Maybe with itunes 11?

Are you saying on AppleTV I only get a list view? Cause when viewing shared media on my iPad you do see folder art etc.
But that's not to say the UI is what I'd really want. I can't understand for example why in the world is there no other way to display your TV Shows other than Season by Season? If I convert my Friends DVD Box it's going to be a huge pain to navigate.
Why not add a normal View: Show->Season->Episodes

I guess I have to revisit Plex for that...
X5-599 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:23 PM   #4
marc11
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5-599 View Post
Are you saying on AppleTV I only get a list view? Cause when viewing shared media on my iPad you do see folder art etc.
But that's not to say the UI is what I'd really want. I can't understand for example why in the world is there no other way to display your TV Shows other than Season by Season? If I convert my Friends DVD Box it's going to be a huge pain to navigate.
Why not add a normal View: Show->Season->Episodes

I guess I have to revisit Plex for that...
Yep, the UI on Apple TV especially for your shared library is utter crap. Just another half done idea by Apple, I really do not understand what the thinking is when they design things like this. It seems recently at Apple good enough is well good enough.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater