Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:22 AM   #1
drenfro87
macrumors newbie

Giving out serial number of Mac server

does this pose a security risk for my server?
drenfro87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:33 AM   #2
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by drenfro87 View Post
does this pose a security risk for my server?
Yes, partially. Only Apple Authorized Service Providers (AASPs) and Apple need your serial number for certain tasks.

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:42 AM   #3
drenfro87
macrumors newbie

ok i have an x employee that says he needs it to recover his apple id from apple security. how does it put me at risk?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:08 AM   #4
switon
macrumors 6502a

RE: server SN...

Quote:
ok i have an x employee that says he needs it to recover his apple id from apple security. how does it put me at risk?
If I were you, I would check this out with Apple first before giving the SN to an ex-employee (unless he/she was a family member). I would think that there would be other ways for someone to recover an Apple ID besides requiring the SN of a Mac server. Worst case scenario for the ex-employee, he/she abandons the Apple ID and gets a new one. Why was this Apple ID tied to your server in the first place? Maybe you need it for software updates at the Mac App Store?

Regards,
Switon
switon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:10 AM   #5
drenfro87
macrumors newbie

he says that was the last place that he logged on to the apple id with. i though it sounded a little fishy.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:19 AM   #6
switon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
he says that was the last place that he logged on to the apple id with. i though it sounded a little fishy.
I think your ex-employee can recover his Apple ID by other means...it might take him a phone call, but if he ever used his Apple ID, say for the Mac App Store or iTunes or to purchase equipment, then Apple has his credit card and billing information on file. He should be able to recover his Apple ID from Apple by verifying this information, not by giving the SN of your server, supposedly the last machine that he used his Apple ID on.

Once again, why is his Apple ID tied to your server? Was he purchasing equipment/software with his Apple ID? Was he setting up iCloud with his Apple ID? Any of these reasons you would probably want to correct --- say he setup your server's iCloud account using his Apple ID, then if he recovers his Apple ID he will have full access to your iCloud, meaning all files, multimedia, documents, contacts, calendar events, e-mail, that get automatically "stored" in the iCloud. Personally, I would worry about this if I were you.

I take it that he was not a family member and that he left on what perhaps might be described as slightly unfriendly terms. Be careful!

Regards,
Switon
switon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:22 AM   #7
drenfro87
macrumors newbie

no he did setup anyone of that with his apple id i have checked. Thanks for your help folks i believe he is pulling the wool over our eyes so to speak. I wont be giving him the information.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:49 AM   #8
adam9c1
macrumors 6502

If you are an admin and have the machine within your iCloud you can wipe it via iCloud.
adam9c1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:04 PM   #9
Les Kern
macrumors 68030

Shouldn't be ana issue really. Sounds like a swell guy.
While you're at it, can you send me your Visa card number including the security code. I want to see if it's similar to mine. Can't be too careful.
Les Kern is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking