Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage23.png
President Obama met with corporate leaders including Apple CEO Tim Cook, JPMorgan Chase chief Jamie Dimon, and investor Warren Buffett, and others.
"The president reached out to and spoke with each of these business leaders as a part of his continuing conversations and outreach on the need to find a balanced deficit-reduction solution that protects the middle class and continues to move our economy forward," the White House official said.
It's not particularly surprising that Obama reached out to Cook -- Apple has been one of the most valuable companies in the world for a while now -- but it does show how important Apple has become in recent years.

Note: Due to the inevitable political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: President Obama Meets With Tim Cook and Other CEOs to Discuss Fiscal Crisis

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
What is really controversial about the piece? It's pretty matter of fact.

It didn't even as much as hint at what Tim Cook or Obama may have got out of said meeting.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Tim: Mr. President, we would really love for you to lower the corporate tax rate so we can bring a big chunk of our $100 billion back to the USA.

Obama: No! More taxes! We like to spend spend spend!

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Tim: Mr. President, we would really love for you to lower the corporate tax rate so we can bring a big chunk of our $100 billion back to the USA.

Obama: No! More taxes! We like to spend spend spend!

History would like a word with you.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Dear President Obama,

I am a fan of Apple and love their products. However, I am more concerned about the well being of the average person. Please don't sell out the middle class to these oligarchs by taking away programs people have worked hard for their entire lives. All these CEOs want is more money for themselves and their executive teams at the price of the 99%.

-iMikeT

Last edited:

ndpitch

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
Read: "Obama meets with Tim Cook and other CEOs to get advice on the critical state of this country, because Obama has no idea what he's doing."

Obama is such a joke. I still can't believe how ignorant our nation is as a whole to have elected him to a second term.

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
I wonder if capping pay of executives across the board of all US companies would spur more reinvestment in companies hopefully leading to more jobs or if it's better to let the executives make as much as they want and then just tax them heavily for it. The executives could though end up like Buffett and just live off of dividends and get taxed at a lower rate. I guess we should raise taxes on dividends over a certain amount then so no one could theoretically escape then?

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Obama is such a joke. I still can't believe how ignorant our nation is as a whole to have elected him to a second term.

Ah, you must be one of the 1% who would benefit from a Romney administration.

I'm glad Obama is willing to reach out and learn from others. A great leader can't operate in a vacuum.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
I’m Canadian but it makes me mad when companies look for loopholes to avoid taxes.
I don’t like to pay taxes either but I do because it’s the right thing to do. America would be so much better off if there wasn’t so many rich people trying to avoid taxes.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Jamie Dimon??? To discuss the state of the economy? Many o fthese people are the very ones who broke the economy in the first place. Hopefully he is having this discussion in order to do the opposite of what they suggest (though the hope of that is faint).

ndpitch

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
I never said I supported Mitt. Please don't put words in my mouth. I'm a libertarian.

That said, Romney would have run the country more like a business instead of a humanitarian society, which is what needs to happen. This made him the better option. He wasn't the optimal candidate, but I think he understood that the government is too big, and doesn't do a good job at running things.

We're on the highway to Greece people. The government isn't the answer. They're the cause.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Read: "Obama meets with Tim Cook and other CEOs to get advice on the critical state of this country, because Obama has no idea what he's doing."

Funny how the only time Obama isn't on vacation was during the campaign to get re-elected

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.