Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theaverageidiot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
I've used a Logitech G5 for all of my gaming needs for probably 4 or 5 years now. It's been a fantastic mouse. Thing is, it's only fantastic in Windows. There, it feels perfect, no mouse acceleration of any kind, it's accurate, and I love it. I never used it in Mac because I never gamed in it before, but I've gotten rid of Boot Camp for space now because I can play almost all of the games I would in Windows in OSX now anyways - Diablo, StarCraft, all my Valve games, etc.

But my G5 in OSX feels awful. The acceleration won't go away. It feels very inaccurate - the mouse jumps around for no reason. There are no Logitech drivers, and I've tried literally every third party driver on the planet to try to help (stuff like USB Overdrive, Steermouse, and a ridiculous ton of crappy little ones). Nothing helps. There is always a weird acceleration curve that I can feel, and I lose StarCraft matches all the time because of teeny little mistakes from the mouse (as a Diamond player who micro's a ton, having my mouse move halfway across my screen for no reason and then not being able to get it back quickly because of weird acceleration will kill a game for me).

So my question is, is there any decent mice out on the market that aren't too expensive (I don't want to go over $60 if I can help it, but I will if I have to) and that don't have these issues, with GOOD DRIVER SUPPORT from the manufacturer?

Ace134blue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Razer DeathAdder. Im using this as a 2nd mouse, have had it for 3-4 years now, still going strong.

AlyseM

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
I hate logitech. Every product I buy from them has broken in an earlier than expected fashion. My experiences with mouse lag are out of control. Keyboard lag too. Where I would input a bunch of keys and wait... wait.. some more oh here they come all at once... ****. Their wireless platform isn't really up to par. I think I'll stick with Razr.

bbkr

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
RANT
Mouse acceleration is terrible and Apple simply cannot deal with this issue since 10.5. In 10.7 they also removed API to adjust acceleration curve so everyone have to praise their broken vision of the world filled with Magic Mice and brickwall acceleration. Sad and pathetic. When something is obviously broken you fix it, not call it a feature!
/RANT

Deep breath...

Now I'm using RAT Contagion with this tool http://osxdaily.com/2010/06/02/kill-os-x-mouse-acceleration-from-the-command-line/ and games are playable. I've also tried USB overdrive but above tool you can use atop of any mouse utilities provided by vendor.

theaverageidiot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
I got the Diablo III Steelseries mouse (because I love Diablo and have seen recommendations for Steelseries) and I'm still not happy with mouse function in OSX. It doesn't jump around quite like the Logitech mouse, but there's still a lag and inaccuracy in pointing that I can't fix, even with their ExactMouse and SteelSeries Engine installed in conjunction with MouseFixer from TeamLiquid and USBoverdrive turning acceleration off. Any last-ditch advice?

Cyan007

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
The Razer DeathAdder doesn't resolve any of the mouse acceleration / lag issues in OSX. I've tried it. Configured it every which way.

I've just accepted that I won't be playing any games on my Macbook Pro Retina which require any kind of mouse precision. I play Diablo 3 without an issue, but for my other games I have a Windows 7 Boot Camp setup and everything works flawlessly there. ;)

I work on both a Windows-based PC and my Macbook Pro Retina daily and can definitely notice the mouse difference every time I switch my machine.

Christer

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2008
I don't know if you've tried it yet, but ControllerMate allows you to customize the acceleration curve. I use it instead of installing the pretty terrible drivers from various vendors (I primarily use Logitech and Steelseries devices). It can be a bit tricky to figure out to begin with, but it's the best I've found so far.

It's not entirely free (although you can try it at no cost), but well worth the cost to me.

Sondrix

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
are you running snow leopard? coz there is a known bug for high precision mouse running at a polling rate higher than 128hz to be jumpy. Lion has fixed this.

Also, on my razer imperator, a workaround is to set the tracking speed in the preference pane to 0, as that removes acceleration, and bump up the dpi of the mouse alot (5600dpi) to compensate.

personally i try to play fps on bootcamp, valve or otherwise (if im lazy ill play on mac). Thats because it is naturally more responsive

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I'm using Razer Abyssus. Setting the speed to lowest in System Prefs makes acceleration go away (or at least very minor/unnoticeable), no drivers needed.

Tracking is very precise and smooth, landing those headshots is easy.

It is my favourite mouse of all that I had - Logitech mini optical (also excellent, but for older games only), Logitech MX500, Razer Copperhead, all sorts of Apple mice.

sjz88

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
Mouse Speed on slowest setting? How are you supposed to play anything like that?

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
What? Haven't you seen any Counter Strike, Call of Duty, etc tournaments? Most competitive gamers play with very low sensitivity and have huge mouse pads because it gives more control over the mouse. I'm no progamer, but I prefer it this way as well.

And mine is not actually that slow, you can operate the manual switch on the bottom of the mouse to up/down the DPI instead of OS controls which mess with acceleration curve.

Entopia7

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
I highly suggest this tiny program written by a Starcraft 2 player. It runs on startup and kills mouse acceleration. The only caveat is: you need to adjust your mouse speed from your drivers config and not the system config, or the acceleration will reset. For instance, just use Razer's Synapse, control everything from there, and your acceleration problems will be gone.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=194668

81Steven

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2011
I use a logitech g9 on the mac and i feel bad... i don't know what to do anymore... I used mousefixer and usb overdrive too but I don't feel mouse like in windows/bootcamp environment....
very frustrating

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.