Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
A call? I make calls on speaker phone that are really long and the person on the other side gets very annoyed by the constant buzzing. I tried DND but the phone kept vibrating. Is this functionality really nonexistant?

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
A call? I make calls on speaker phone that are really long and the person on the other side gets very annoyed by the constant buzzing. I tried DND but the phone kept vibrating. Is this functionality really nonexistant?

So basically your telling us you're very rude when you speak on the phone by placing people on speaker phone. Invest in a headset and show your callers some respect.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
So basically your telling us you're very rude when you speak on the phone by placing people on speaker phone. Invest in a headset and show your callers some respect.
Am I being rude to the dust bunnies behind my desk? Because I don't see how placing a call on speakerphone while alone at my home desk is being rude to anyone. And headsets are rude to other people's eyes.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
also DND does not account for people who are in your favorites call list.. so if they call and you have DND on, the phone will still ring

jwlbel

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
It is rude because it sounds like crap and annoying as hell to the person that you are talking to when you are on speaker. I refuse to talk to people on speaker. If they do not have enough respect for our call to put the call up to their ear or use a headset, then I don't really want to talk to them.

coffeemadmanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
United Kingdom
It is rude because it sounds like crap and annoying as hell to the person that you are talking to when you are on speaker. I refuse to talk to people on speaker. If they do not have enough respect for our call to put the call up to their ear or use a headset, then I don't really want to talk to them.

That's your preference, but it doesn't make it rude. There are hundreds of reasons why someone might want to be doing something whilst talking, not least that sometimes it gets annoying holding the phone to your head for an extended period of time.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
That's your preference, but it doesn't make it rude. There are hundreds of reasons why someone might want to be doing something whilst talking, not least that sometimes it gets annoying holding the phone to your head for an extended period of time.

I'm actually doing that right now lol

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012

It sounds like people like you are just snobby little runts that don't like when things aren't perfect, not the other way around.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Am I being rude to the dust bunnies behind my desk? Because I don't see how placing a call on speakerphone while alone at my home desk is being rude to anyone. And headsets are rude to other people's eyes.

It's rude to the person you're talking to. If I'm EVER on speaker phone I ask the other party to please take me off of speaker phone. Of course this is my opinion, you do and treat your callers as you please.

Nail on the head!

Yes, it makes it rude to the person being placed on speaker. Like Jwlbel said, have respect for the person to whom you're speaking.

It sounds like people like you are just snobby little runts that don't like when things aren't perfect, not the other way around.
It's not an issue of things being perfect, it's an issue of respect. Some have it for others, some don't.

makotoisle

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2012
I talk to my partner who lives 500mi away every single night before bed on speaker phone. I lay day and put the phone on the pillow mext to me.

And only three nights ago did it come up and he said, "oh, I'm on speakerphone? I couldn't even tell."

iPhone 5 on Verizon

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Yeah, the quality of the speaker phone on the iPhone 5 is great. Don't get that normal hollow sound. And also surprised how sensitive the mic is. Picks up voice from across the room still.

In regards being rude. It's only rude if you use the speaker phone when there are others in the room. If you're by yourself, WTH do so many of you think this is rude?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.