Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
I was able to benchmark the 512 SSG on my Retina but I just wanted to verify that the 768GB SSD was in the same ballpark. Had to send my back due to a stuck pixel and using an Air for now, but if I ever decide to reorder I may opt for the larger drive.

If someone would be kind enough to run just the default test using the Black Magic Disk Speed Test app from the App Store I'd really appreciate it!

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
We bench-marked these two at work, and they were within just a few percentage points of one another.

I don't have the data in front of me, as I'm in another state traveling. But I can assure you they are as equal as it gets.

Hope that helps you.

Cheers :)

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
My dads benchmarks-
Read: 441mb/s
Write: 421mb/s

I'm just asking, but are those speeds on the MBPr?

I have the M4 on my MBP and my reads are steady at 511 mb/s. I thought the MBPr used the Samsung controller which I thought had faster reads. Are you sure that is correct?

I'm not criticizing, I'm just asking.

-P

AlexBass

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2012

I have the M4 on my MBP and my reads are steady at 511 mb/s. I thought the MBPr used the Samsung controller which I thought had faster reads. Are you sure that is correct?

-P

I thought they would be faster too, but it seems whenever apple uses an ssd in their computers, the speeds are dimmed down significantly. Here is a video of some speeds- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg8C7hIvdCc

My Samsung 830 ssd's in a SATA III computer should reach about 510mb/s read and 160mb/s write. I have them in raid 0 on SATA II though, so you can't get an accurate reading of them individually.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011

-P

The 512 GB Samsung 830's are a tad slower than the 256 GB. Not sure why, but it's common even with aftermarket 830's installed in uMBP's. The 256 GB models are the fastest of the bunch.

JDeezy808

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Agreed

Here my BM Speedtest results, if you are interested for the 768 SSD:
Write: 433.2
Read: 450.1

I'm not sure, but i believe that the bigger the Apple SSD, the higher the data transfer rate. The 256/512s i've seen (factory) are marking between 355-400. Why the difference?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.