Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:48 PM   #1
MasterHowl
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to MasterHowl
Really need help finding an application for help with a PhD project

To cut a long story short...

I'm helping out with a PhD project and we're collecting data from planetary satellite images on the sizes of impact craters, and the frequency of different sizes.

This is done by looking at a crater, selecting any three points on the crater rim, taking each of the point's (x,y) co-ordinate (using the pixels), and from that you can compute the size of the crater.

Currently, we use our "favourite graphic software" (I use Pixelmator, others use CS5, others use MS paint...), since they all have coordinate systems. We have to manually record the three coordinates.

We need a piece of software where we can literally just click three points, hit enter, and the coordinates of the three points will be outputted to a text file, where each line in the text file has three coordinates (one for each point).

Is this possible or will we have to write our own program in Linux or something? I know it's a long shot, but thought I'd ask here...
MasterHowl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:52 PM   #2
blackboxideas
macrumors newbie

I'm not sure what size images you are dealing with but this could help?

http://bigwww.epfl.ch/thevenaz/pointpicker/

Edit: just had a quick search MapAnalyst could be what you're after!
http://mapanalyst.org/man/points.html

Last edited by blackboxideas; Nov 19, 2012 at 04:06 PM.
blackboxideas is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store