Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:35 PM   #1
stonyboys
macrumors 6502

Is do-not-disturb not supposed to work during...?

A call? I make calls on speaker phone that are really long and the person on the other side gets very annoyed by the constant buzzing. I tried DND but the phone kept vibrating. Is this functionality really nonexistant?
stonyboys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:40 PM   #2
macingman
macrumors 68020

You have provided very little information. What is causing the vibrating?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:44 PM   #3
scaredpoet
macrumors 601

DND works only when the phone is locked.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:33 AM   #4
stonyboys
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
DND works only when the phone is locked.
Wow that's stupid, luckily you can lock your phone while on a call, thanks.
stonyboys is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:35 AM   #5
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyboys View Post
A call? I make calls on speaker phone that are really long and the person on the other side gets very annoyed by the constant buzzing. I tried DND but the phone kept vibrating. Is this functionality really nonexistant?
So basically your telling us you're very rude when you speak on the phone by placing people on speaker phone. Invest in a headset and show your callers some respect.
AFDoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:27 AM   #6
JerseyDoug
macrumors regular

Turn off vibrate. Problem solved.

Oh, and get a head set.
JerseyDoug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:18 AM   #7
wrkactjob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
So basically your telling us you're very rude when you speak on the phone by placing people on speaker phone. Invest in a headset and show your callers some respect.
Respec' To The Caller Init!
wrkactjob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:42 AM   #8
stonyboys
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Am I being rude to the dust bunnies behind my desk? Because I don't see how placing a call on speakerphone while alone at my home desk is being rude to anyone. And headsets are rude to other people's eyes.
stonyboys is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:55 AM   #9
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

also DND does not account for people who are in your favorites call list.. so if they call and you have DND on, the phone will still ring
pnoyblazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:56 AM   #10
coffeemadmanUK
macrumors regular

Quote:
How is this being rude?!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:03 AM   #11
jwlbel
macrumors newbie

It is rude because it sounds like crap and annoying as hell to the person that you are talking to when you are on speaker. I refuse to talk to people on speaker. If they do not have enough respect for our call to put the call up to their ear or use a headset, then I don't really want to talk to them.
jwlbel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:06 AM   #12
coffeemadmanUK
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwlbel View Post
It is rude because it sounds like crap and annoying as hell to the person that you are talking to when you are on speaker. I refuse to talk to people on speaker. If they do not have enough respect for our call to put the call up to their ear or use a headset, then I don't really want to talk to them.
That's your preference, but it doesn't make it rude. There are hundreds of reasons why someone might want to be doing something whilst talking, not least that sometimes it gets annoying holding the phone to your head for an extended period of time.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:09 AM   #13
Squilly
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemadmanUK View Post
That's your preference, but it doesn't make it rude. There are hundreds of reasons why someone might want to be doing something whilst talking, not least that sometimes it gets annoying holding the phone to your head for an extended period of time.
I'm actually doing that right now lol
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:06 PM   #14
stonyboys
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It sounds like people like you are just snobby little runts that don't like when things aren't perfect, not the other way around.
stonyboys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:56 PM   #15
northernbaldy
macrumors 6502a

I set my phone to only vibrate on scielent anyway! The vibrate irritates me
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:11 PM   #16
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Am I being rude to the dust bunnies behind my desk? Because I don't see how placing a call on speakerphone while alone at my home desk is being rude to anyone. And headsets are rude to other people's eyes.
It's rude to the person you're talking to. If I'm EVER on speaker phone I ask the other party to please take me off of speaker phone. Of course this is my opinion, you do and treat your callers as you please.

Quote:
Nail on the head!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemadmanUK View Post
Yes, it makes it rude to the person being placed on speaker. Like Jwlbel said, have respect for the person to whom you're speaking.

Quote:
It sounds like people like you are just snobby little runts that don't like when things aren't perfect, not the other way around.
It's not an issue of things being perfect, it's an issue of respect. Some have it for others, some don't.
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:15 PM   #17
Shockwave78
macrumors 6502a

If you set an alarm that will still happen if dnd is on right?
Shockwave78 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:18 PM   #18
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave78 View Post
If you set an alarm that will still happen if dnd is on right?
Yes.
DND is for when you're sleeping or you dont want to be disturbed and the phones screen is locked.
It will not work when you are using the phone while on a call either. Even if the screen is dim, if you're on a call it will not block another call.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:20 PM   #19
northernbaldy
macrumors 6502a

Yes

I think it's a great feature
Mine is setup to come on automatically at night
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:37 PM   #20
makotoisle
macrumors regular

I talk to my partner who lives 500mi away every single night before bed on speaker phone. I lay day and put the phone on the pillow mext to me.

And only three nights ago did it come up and he said, "oh, I'm on speakerphone? I couldn't even tell."

iPhone 5 on Verizon
makotoisle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:44 PM   #21
eelw
macrumors regular

Yeah, the quality of the speaker phone on the iPhone 5 is great. Don't get that normal hollow sound. And also surprised how sensitive the mic is. Picks up voice from across the room still.

In regards being rude. It's only rude if you use the speaker phone when there are others in the room. If you're by yourself, WTH do so many of you think this is rude?
eelw is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone