Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
2cr26g2.jpg

I present to you something definitely considered to be a first. The famous weather widget that's on the iPhone's Notification Center has somehow reached to the iPad Mini. I was stunned at first, but I have a story to explain it.

I have a jailbroken iPad 1, and I did install a tweak that enables the iPhone's weather widget onto the iPad. When I bought a new iPad Mini, I restored from the iPad 1's iCloud backup. Therefore, it restored everything from the old iPad, including the stock weather widget. I know it's not supposed to happen, but for some pretty weird unknown reason, it happened!

It's missing any kind of settings in Notification for moving it or even switching it on or off. So basically it's stuck here forever.

Anyone has any other explanation for this?

wugfi9.jpg

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Hey thats pretty darn cool! I still never understood why Apple feel the need to leave out the Weather app and widgets (and calculator too) on the iPad....it's so strange.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
I know it's pretty cool to have it. But I want to move it above the share widget, but the settings for it is missing.

Davirdv

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
When you back up (jailbroken or not) the backups include certain changes to system settings. When you put the weather widget on, it changed the settings and therefore it was backed up (the changes in settings, not the actual app/widget/tweek) The only way to get rid of it is to set up as new.

Chris Morgan

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2010
I actually had this too. When I setup my mini I restored from a backup of my unjailbroken ipad 3 running iOS 6 and ended up with the weather widget. Unfortunately I didn't get pics before I restored the mini as new to try and eliminate the wifi problems I'm having and now it's gone.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
When you back up (jailbroken or not) the backups include certain changes to system settings. When you put the weather widget on, it changed the settings and therefore it was backed up (the changes in settings, not the actual app/widget/tweek) The only way to get rid of it is to set up as new.

This is a good explanation. I guess I'm going to leave it on for now. :cool:

----------

I actually had this too. When I setup my mini I restored from a backup of my unjailbroken ipad 3 running iOS 6 and ended up with the weather widget. Unfortunately I didn't get pics before I restored the mini as new to try and eliminate the wifi problems I'm having and now it's gone.

unjailbroken? hmmm...I guess that could mean the weather widget may come to the iPad, and this just happens to be a bug. But a good one at that! ;)

bursthead

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Didn't we have to pay for the weather and calculator app for the iPad 1 or iPod Touch? I wonder why we can't keep it or at least transfer those paid apps to the iPad mini and current iPads?

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
I had this too when I restored from a jailbroken iPad 3 to a stock iPad mini... and I kinda liked it!

The only annoying things were (A) no way to customize it and (B) I would often miss the "x" dismissal button on a notification below it, and inadvertently open a Yahoo! weather web page in Safari.

Anyway, with today's release of the "evasi0n" jailbreak, I updated to iOS 6.1 and ran the jailbreak on my iPad mini. Now I see the Weather widget is gone. And, I now have the Weather app on my springboard now (which works fine, albeit as an iPhone app, in 1x/2x mode) -- right next to Cydia.

So, is there any way to bring the weather back to my notification center? I'm guessing now that I'm jailbroken there will be a more straightforward way? (Or will I have to involve LockInfo or Intelliscreen X?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.