Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
So I need to redirect a folder.

My setup is that I have a 120gb SSD and a 1TB HDD and theres a folder on my 120gb SSD that is located at: MyComputer/HDName/Users/UserName/Library/Application Support

So my issue here is my folder in there is constantly being filled up with screenshots (Screen recording method) and I'd much rather redirect it to: MyComputer/HDName/Screenshots (this is on the 1TB HDD)

Because it's a real annoyance to have to go into that file all the time copy them from the SSD to the HDD and then delete them from the SSD again. I've only been able to find resources on how to redirect things such as the "Downloads" or "Documents" folders.

Thanks.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
So this is a folder named "(folder name)" inside the MyComputer/HDName/Users/UserName/Library/Application Support folder?

What application is creating the files?

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Was hoping to remain discrete on that... But I'm part of a very small game development team and our game engine allows us to record in game footage by the means of screenshots.

Which is then compiled at the proper frame rate (that at which it was taken) inside premier pro then we add sound etc.

As for 3rd party recording software (Screenflow, iShowU, etc.) It diminishes the quality far to much. And as it stands we can't just change the location those screenshots are written to (would be way to complicated to do that)

So is there a way to make anything written to that folder on the 120GB SSD instead be redirected to the folder on my 1TB HDD???

Thanks.

CJS7070

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
Yup. You want a symbolic link. What that basically means is that whenever the file system tries to hit a file, it's seamlessly redirected to a different location by the operating system - since it's done at the OS level, it'll work nicely with applications using those files. Specifically, you'll want to symlink the directory on your local volume to one on your external volume.

Here's some more information on symlinks: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=2001110610290643

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Works perfectly I have a feeling this will become very useful in the future.

Thanks!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.