Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fxscreamer

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2008
I've written two novels on an iPad 2 and Clamcase. It's an amazing experience, to be honest. The touchscreen works for 500-1,000 words, but beyond that gets frustrating. Firstly, you're not looking directly at the screen (and can get some strange glare). Secondly, your hands are slightly more cramped than with a keyboard (which is as wide as the iPad with bezel). Thirdly, you can't see as much of your document because the keyboard takes up half the screen.

Why not use a laptop? Well, there are things the iPad can do that laptops can't (mostly gaming, but also simply the ease and comfort of browsing on the couch). So you buy an iPad for $500 (for its strengths) and then a laptop for $1000 (for the keyboard)? Or just an iPad for $500 and $100 for a keyboard? You end up getting the best of both worlds (unless you want OS X, which is another story completely).

Or you could see it as the glass half empty. I suppose you're saying that an iPad is better for gaming than a laptop, assuming you're buying things like Angry Birds on the app store. However, this to me is an apple and oranges comparison. Tablet games are completely their own market compared to the traditional hardcore and even casual game market. That's like comparing motorcycles to automobiles. Both are transportation, but completely different. An iPad feels like a watered down laptop experience with a limited OS. Granted, it's nice to "lounge" on the couch and browse without a hot laptop on you, but I still can't personally justify a $500 couch machine. I know a few people that bought iPads and have found they hardly use them (everyone is different I know).

My point is, trying to convince someone that an iPad is a laptop replacement for all your office and gaming needs is simply laughable. An iPad is a convenience gadget, but not a workhorse. For the first time in my life, I would actually admit a Windows 8 Surface could potentially be more office friendly, mainly due to it's FULL OS potential, and the built in keyboard. There's no watering down that I have found obvious. However, I'd always take the laptop first.

ANALOGY
The comparison is kind of like deciding between a Point n Shoot camera or an SLR. Then you have the budget SLR's like a Canon Powershot S5 (old I know) that's a point n shoot, but also has SLR-like properties. Many would think this is the "best of both worlds". I would disagree, saying it is weaknesses of both. A point n shoot is truly portable, and an SLR takes unbelievable pictures. The mid-range is neither portable, nor takes pictures as well as an SLR, or even has as many options. I say go with the camera with the main strength you prefer and embrace it, not try to fill in a void.

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
It's so awkward the way she's interacting with it. The ad would actually look quite slick if it weren't for those fumbles

Sorry to hi-jack this part of the thread, but I also pretty much wrote both of my eBooks in Pages on my iPad. This was done over the course of a number of months - mainly while sitting in the car waiting for my kids to come out of dance/drama classes, etc.

I eventually tidied it up and finished it off in Word, but the bulk of the work was done in Pages - without an external keyboard!

RTP.

Very nice. So it's possible

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
The iPad Mini Mod thing is not a steal. It comes from the same company that makes those cardboard cracker Lightning docks out of China. It may look better than the Belkin unit, but it'll be in your trash can inside of a week.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Different strokes for different folks, I guess - but if I needed to type all the time on a portable device, I'd get a laptop.

Which is what I did. :D

On a bit of a side note - I just got my Mini this morning, and a big part of its appeal is its slimness and lightness! Permanently adding a case that would increase that by 2x or more would defeat the purpose of having it... for me anyway.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
The iPad Mini Mod thing is not a steal. It comes from the same company that makes those cardboard cracker Lightning docks out of China. It may look better than the Belkin unit, but it'll be in your trash can inside of a week.

Good to know.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
I just love the Logitec keyboard on my iPad3. It works without all the extra fold-up cover stuff. I hope they make a similar one for the mini.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
if you pair an apple blutooth keyboard with an iphone (i'm unsure if this is the case with an ipad), you are unable to use enter/return to 'send' messages if you're using messages. its inconvenience of having to select 'send' on the phone makes the convenience of having an available keyboard for lengthier messages, well, not so convenient.. it would be such a simple fix

There are several jailbreak tools that let for this. (Too bad nothing for non-JB'n devices.)

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
TBH I've never really understood keyboard cases on tablets. They make the tablet significantly more bulky, hindering it's portability, and aren't as good for using on the lap as laptops... So why not just use a laptop? 11" MBA anyone?

11" MBA = about 2 -2/12 hours of usable battery life, for my tasks at least. it's also a disconnected device, which is another reason the battery drains faster, dongles!

Most of the time I just use the onboard keyboard, but if I want to type something more lengthily and have access to a table, then I'll use a physical keyboard. The difference for me 44-50wpm or circa 80wpm. Sure I'm not the fastest touch typist in the world, but its just significantly quicker to type on a physical keybaord.

The form factor of the MacBook air, and the lack of battery life and connectivity make it a no go for me. I do have a 13" MBA, and occasionally carry both. I'm sure that will baffle you now! There are occasions where a Tablet just doesn't have the full functionality you need in your working day

It's for people that WANT to have a tablet, because it's cool, but don't understand WHY tablets are great. Like most of the people in business that are using iPads. Some of the full pad iPad setups literally are bigger than MBAs

Kind of like the people who buy the thinnest lightest phone and the biggest bulkiest case to keep it "safe" (or any case for that matter)

I work in business, I use my iPad regularly, maybe you just don't work in a business area that benefits from the use of one. i don't play games on my iPad and seldom use it as a consumer device.

Just to give you a hint at why business people use iPads/ tablets.

1/ Battery life
2/ Productivity, time literally is money and there isn't always enough hours in the day
3/ Apps. i can access my vpn, get onto my CRM database, e mail, calendar, use my iPad as a GPS to find clients, navigate the London underground with it, find a near by coffee shop or restaurant for meetings, calculator, Goto meetings for collaboration/ product updates, product information, presentations (keynote onto an OHP), viewing spreadsheets, PDF viewer, and journey planning/ time management.

Those are just the things off the top of my head, without looking at my iPad to see what I've got on it.

Looks like maybe its you who doesn't understand why tablets are cool ;)

All joking aside, we all use tablets for different things, and that will often change depending on where we are in our lives or daily activities.

p.s. I don't have a case on my iPhone and only a smart cover on my iPad. I like how thin they both are, even if that does mean a few scuffs here and there :)

paulloewen

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2011
rofl nice

Or the on/off switch move she did. Without audio on, the ad looks like a joke

----------

What app did you use to write a novel in?
Pages, primarily. I used to use Evernote until iCloud worked well to sync documents to my primary computer (MBP).

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
bla...

Why not use a laptop? Well, there are things the iPad can do that laptops can't (mostly gaming, but also simply the ease and comfort of browsing on the couch). So you buy an iPad for $500 (for its strengths) and then a laptop for $1000 (for the keyboard)? Or just an iPad for $500 and $100 for a keyboard? You end up getting the best of both worlds (unless you want OS X, which is another story completely).

Are you suggesting an iPad will run Games better then a Laptop? My 100GB Steam library begs to differ. Even the "crappy" HD4000 integrated graphic card in my 13" rMBP runs circles around any ARM processor and will probably do so for the next years to come...

Photics

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2011
I wish I could just find an iPad Mini in stock somewhere!

If you're near NYC, checking the Grand Central Station Apple Store might help...
http://www.apple.com/retail/grandcentral/

are you being sarcastic?

I was actually surprised with the dictation feature. I was using it in a noisy Apple Store and it was fairly accurate. It makes me wonder if I even need a keyboard. Although, I think the dictation feature requires Internet Access, so I have been thinking of getting a keyboard/case for my iPad Mini.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
I've written two novels on an iPad 2 and Clamcase. It's an amazing experience, to be honest. The touchscreen works for 500-1,000 words, but beyond that gets frustrating. Firstly, you're not looking directly at the screen (and can get some strange glare). Secondly, your hands are slightly more cramped than with a keyboard (which is as wide as the iPad with bezel). Thirdly, you can't see as much of your document because the keyboard takes up half the screen.

It's people like you that make me concerned for the future of Mac computers. Not that there's anything wrong with you or your opinions (I'm sure you're a great person, let's be friends!) but if enough people start sharing this attitude, Apple will give up on actual computers more than they already have.

iPads are fun to play around with, but real work and even real casual internet browsing, at least for me, has to be done on a computer.

paulloewen

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2011
Or you could see it as the glass half empty. I suppose you're saying that an iPad is better for gaming than a laptop, assuming you're buying things like Angry Birds on the app store. However, this to me is an apple and oranges comparison. Tablet games are completely their own market compared to the traditional hardcore and even casual game market. That's like comparing motorcycles to automobiles. Both are transportation, but completely different. An iPad feels like a watered down laptop experience with a limited OS. Granted, it's nice to "lounge" on the couch and browse without a hot laptop on you, but I still can't personally justify a $500 couch machine. I know a few people that bought iPads and have found they hardly use them (everyone is different I know).

My point is, trying to convince someone that an iPad is a laptop replacement for all your office and gaming needs is simply laughable. An iPad is a convenience gadget, but not a workhorse. For the first time in my life, I would actually admit a Windows 8 Surface could potentially be more office friendly, mainly due to it's FULL OS potential, and the built in keyboard. There's no watering down that I have found obvious. However, I'd always take the laptop first.

ANALOGY
The comparison is kind of like deciding between a Point n Shoot camera or an SLR. Then you have the budget SLR's like a Canon Powershot S5 (old I know) that's a point n shoot, but also has SLR-like properties. Many would think this is the "best of both worlds". I would disagree, saying it is weaknesses of both. A point n shoot is truly portable, and an SLR takes unbelievable pictures. The mid-range is neither portable, nor takes pictures as well as an SLR, or even has as many options. I say go with the camera with the main strength you prefer and embrace it, not try to fill in a void.

I don't have time to sit down and play a computer game for an hour at a time. As such, games you can play for 3-5 minutes and have fun are perfect (plus, a lot cheaper). The turn-based gaming with friends is also more prevalent on the mobile platform.

Absolutely the iPad/keyboard is not a workhorse. I never said it was. But the iPad has a phenomenal battery life and a lot of fun strengths. I would never suggest an iPad replace a full-blown computer. I use it as a second device that's more portable than my laptop.

----------

Are you suggesting an iPad will run Games better then a Laptop? My 100GB Steam library begs to differ. Even the "crappy" HD4000 integrated graphic card in my 13" rMBP runs circles around any ARM processor and will probably do so for the next years to come...

I don't have time to sit down for hours at a time to game. Quick, easy games are the only thing I would have time for.

----------

It's people like you that make me concerned for the future of Mac computers. Not that there's anything wrong with you or your opinions (I'm sure you're a great person, let's be friends!) but if enough people start sharing this attitude, Apple will give up on actual computers more than they already have.

iPads are fun to play around with, but real work and even real casual internet browsing, at least for me, has to be done on a computer.

I still use a MBP all the time. But for on the go (and on the couch), the iPad is wonderful.

rodriguise

macrumors regular
May 6, 2011
Sparks, NV
Finally a setup for this guy.

BK_s_Tiny_Hands_Commercial_2.jpeg

Alan / Falcon

macrumors newbie
Writing a novel on iPad

Pages, primarily. I used to use Evernote until iCloud worked well to sync documents to my primary computer (MBP)

I wrote my first novel on my iMac using nothing but Mail. Yup, the built in mail program in OS X. People used to write with pens and paper, after all, so there's no real need for frills and without them I focus more on writing.

Now my circumstances have changed and my iMac isn't ideally suited for concentrating on writing, so I use a bluetooth keyboard with my original iPad and an easel stand for writing, still using Mail, just this time on the iPad. Mail is great because it's one of the most stable apps, it automatically saves drafts, I can hit "send" at any time to save/preserve/backup a draft of my current chapter. And with the iPad, it's a distraction-free environment since there's no real multi-tasking available. A laptop would be the ideal for me, but since I don't own one but do own the iPad, this works great and is a heck of a lot cheaper.

Alan :apple: Falcon

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.