Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

just2wikid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
Hey everybody,

New to the forum here and pretty much new to iMacs as well.

Just a quick question for you all. I ordered myself a refurbished 27" 2.7GHz i5 iMac on Friday and I'm super pumped to get it.

What I've noticed now is that this particular refurbished iMac is always available on the apple store. Is there a reason for that? Did I just buy the worst computer apple makes and I just didn't know?

I'm just questioning now if I had made the right choice. I plan on upgrading the memory when I get it but is it the i5 that makes it weak or is the graphics card just not that good either? I won't be gaming on this at all and will just be using it for day to day use as well as some light photo and video editing.

Did I screw up by buying this one?

Thanks your help guys

robastewart

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2011
Tejas
You Will Love It

You will love your refurbed 27" i5 iMac. I have the 27" i5 IMac at 3.1Ghz. It came with 4GB RAM, and I added 8 a few months after purchase. It is a beautiful piece of work for every purpose I can throw at it, short of high-end computations or graphics, which I haven't tried but think would process just fine. While I bought mine new, people I know who buy the refurbs say they would never see a difference between refurb and factory new. Maybe more i5's appear in the refurb store because the better equipped models move faster at the refurb prices.

patricem

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2005
Last years model as new

When Apple releases a new machine, they sell off last years model as refurbished. Chances are you will be getting a brand new last years model machine. Great choice and great decision, you will love it. No worries.

just2wikid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
Thanks guys. I was just hoping that I didn't order a terrible machine. Can't wait to get it! Hopefully I hit the refurb lottery and it comes with some upgrades as I have seen some people get.

mlh324

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
I've come close to pulling the trigger on the same model. I'm interested in some of the forum expertise opinions on this....If I'm going be using the 27" 2.7 i5 for photos, creating imovies, watching netflix, etc., then what will the new 27" 2.9 ivy bridge i5 do for me that this one won't? If I opted for the 3.1 i5, would it be closer in spec/performance of the new 2.9 i5? There's only $100 difference in price b/c I'd get the edu discount on the new iMac.

just2wikid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
Got it today

Just got my refurbed 27" today and this thing is in brand new condition. Other than the box, it's perfect. No other upgrades included with it though but that's no problem cause I just went and bought 8 more gigs of RAM. These iMacs are sure fine looking machines too!

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
Just got my refurbed 27" today and this thing is in brand new condition. Other than the box, it's perfect. No other upgrades included with it though but that's no problem cause I just went and bought 8 more gigs of RAM. These iMacs are sure fine looking machines too!

Congratulations! Enjoy it!

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
Aside from not getting the latest and greatest, the 2011 refurb iMacs offer great value for the money. Congrats and enjoy :)

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Hey everybody,

New to the forum here and pretty much new to iMacs as well.

Just a quick question for you all. I ordered myself a refurbished 27" 2.7GHz i5 iMac on Friday and I'm super pumped to get it.

What I've noticed now is that this particular refurbished iMac is always available on the apple store. Is there a reason for that? Did I just buy the worst computer apple makes and I just didn't know?

I'm just questioning now if I had made the right choice. I plan on upgrading the memory when I get it but is it the i5 that makes it weak or is the graphics card just not that good either? I won't be gaming on this at all and will just be using it for day to day use as well as some light photo and video editing.

Did I screw up by buying this one?

Thanks your help guys

I just got one of these about a week or so ago, this is my 4th Mac and second iMac. Great machine, mine came with 8GB of RAM which I upgraded to 24GB for $64 (including shipping) and the thing is fast compared to my old 24" 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo with 6GB of RAM. Because my use don't require a high powered GPU and the CPU speed is plenty quick I went for it.

henryonapple

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2012

great choice! I was debating whether to get a refurb from the Apple store or try Craigslist. ending up finding an 3.4 i7 for 1,200, but didn't come with the keyboard or mouse (i suspect it's been stolen)

MsDalfo

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
great choice! I was debating whether to get a refurb from the Apple store or try Craigslist. ending up finding an 3.4 i7 for 1,200, but didn't come with the keyboard or mouse (i suspect it's been stolen)

Aren't you concerned about it having some sort of warranty?

MsDalfo

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
not really as I have had generally good luck with Apple Products. do iMacs fail often?

Oh, no, I wasn't asking for that reason.

When I started shopping for my new iMac, I briefly looked on eBay etc. But then I realized a local 3rd party dealer or an Apple refurb would offer some sort of warranty in case the used computer turned out to be a dud after a few months, and decided to only buy my computer from one of those two places. I just like to have that peace of mind, is all... especially since it is a used product.

mcpix

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2005
Congratulations on your new machine! I picked up a 27" refurb earlier this year and love it.

just2wikid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
Absolutely loving this iMac! What the heck was I doing with windows all these years? I would definitely not hesitate to get myself another refurbished iMac in the future!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.