Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Lucky you. I'm still waiting for mine. Has been shipped weeks ago. This is the third week....

Ouch thats not good, have you chased it up with them?

Ok thanks.

Seems I need to stick with the 5400 drive with apple care?! The deal's starting to go downhill. Saying that, how often do they actually break. And if they do, surely someone could fix it for a good price.

Sam.

If it does need a repair you can always remove the SSD before taking it in for repair ;)

sc25893

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2012
If it does need a repair you can always remove the SSD before taking it in for repair ;)

Lol, I don't know if I could handle the stress.

Maybe a silly question but how do you actually set the thing up once it's in to have your files on the HDD and the OS on the SSD?

Can files be moved between drives? I wish I knew somewhere round my neck of the woods that had a mac mini so I could test one out with the SSD.

Sam.

spammerhamster

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
Ouch thats not good, have you chased it up with them?

well... can't blame them for the postal service's incompetence..

and what their mail said

Note: Unfortunately, there is no tracking available for First-Class
Mail International packages.
These shipments usually take 2-3 weeks to arrive, but do occasionally
take longer.
If you have not received your package within 30 days, please contact
us and we'll investigate.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Lol, I don't know if I could handle the stress.

Maybe a silly question but how do you actually set the thing up once it's in to have your files on the HDD and the OS on the SSD?

Can files be moved between drives? I wish I knew somewhere round my neck of the woods that had a mac mini so I could test one out with the SSD.

Sam.

Have a look at THIS POST I put together for setting the drive up. You just run the Internet Restore and Install Mountain Lion on SSD and Wipe original drive to use as storage.

Where abouts are based? Not Apple stores near you? Would imagine they would have the fusion drive model there to play with.

milkmandan

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
Just to be clear. With pulled upward, you mean perpendicular from the circuitboard right? And pulled back=parallel?

The correct way is to "flip" the connector upward? Away from the circuitboard? (a little drawing would be nice) :D
That is correct. Just watch the OWC video and you'll see they moved it up.

sc25893

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2012
Have a look at THIS POST I put together for setting the drive up. You just run the Internet Restore and Install Mountain Lion on SSD and Wipe original drive to use as storage.

Where abouts are based? Not Apple stores near you? Would imagine they would have the fusion drive model there to play with.

Nice post with the instructions, that will be very helpful. The boot up time is awesome, what a difference with the SSD!

Thanks for the guide.

Sam.

trancinchino

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
By the way, if you are looking into Samsung SSD's, the same models are cheaper on Newegg as compared to OWC.

sc25893

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2012
By the way, if you are looking into Samsung SSD's, the same models are cheaper on Newegg as compared to OWC.

I think I will upgrade eventually but not straight away.

Problem is I keep seeing iMac 2011 quad core i5s going on ebay for around £640 which is cheaper than a mini!

Sam.

trancinchino

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
I think I will upgrade eventually but not straight away.

Problem is I keep seeing iMac 2011 quad core i5s going on ebay for around £640 which is cheaper than a mini!

Sam.

Maybe this will help you make up your mind. I did some research with the help of a friend and found the following information.

Turns out the Mac Mini's processor outperforms all the 2011 iMac's, 21.5 in or 27 in. The 2.6ghz quad-core i7 in the new mac mini is the same 2.6ghz processor used in the new macbook pro retinas.

2.6ghz i7 (2012 mac mini/macbookpro)
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-3720QM+%40+2.60GHz&id=895

These are the benchmarks for the three 21.5 in. iMacs (mid 2011):
2.5ghz i5
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-2400S+%40+2.50GHz&id=794
2.7ghz i5
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-2500S+%40+2.70GHz&id=805
2.8ghz i7
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-2600S+%40+2.80GHz&id=869

Here's the benchmarks for the 3.4ghz i7 27 in. iMac (mid 2011):
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-2600+%40+3.40GHz&id=1

You will notice that is significantly out performs all the 21.5 inch imacs. However, the top of the line 27 inch (2011) is quite close in terms of performance. Price-wise, those are still selling for well over 2000 on ebay.

My friend has said that cpubenchmark is quite reliable in terms of gauging performance. While of course I don't know how true that is, if these are indeed accurate, it seems the 2012 mac mini's processor is extremely fast. Couple that with easier accessibility for upgrading, usb 3.0, and hdmi out, and my decision was made.

Don't get me wrong, It was really tough. The iMac just looks so sweet (even the 2011 models), but at the end of the day performance was most important for me so I went with the mini.

Made the purchase for my mini, ram, ssd, and audio interface two nights ago. I'm gonna wait for blackfriday/cyber monday to look for a nice monitor to pair along with it.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Interesting to know! Think I made the right choice with the Mini.

But as you said the iMacs do look very sexy :)

sc25893

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2012
Thanks everyone. I've literally been losing sleep over this.

The downside to me, although the iMacs look nice, a 21.5" glossy monitor is not my idea of a good time. I have a really nice 24" samsung monitor which is equally sexy IMHO!

I will get the mini 2012 i7 2.6GHz and then upgrade later, £682 with student discount from the apple store. Then I can get myself off ebay because it's getting on my nerves, I just made a crappy £370 on my mini 8GB 2.3GHz dual core after £41 seller fees. Cost me £488 two months ago. Total waste of time, cash on collection in the future, gumtree or another method.

I will watch the SSD install videos to see if I'm comfortable with the procedure, if not, I'll get a pro to do it for me.

Thanks.

Sam.

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
I have a shiny new 2012 Mac Mini sitting here (I'm typing this on it) and the OWC kit. The Mini has the standard 1 TB drive, and I have a Samsung 840 Pro 256 gig SSD I want to put in it.

My question is this: If I move the 1TB drive to the second drive connector, can I still boot off of it? I was going to use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the drive onto itself (I split it into two 500 gig partitions), and then boot off either the cloned partition, or the original one, to clone over to the SSD. I kinda gather this is possible but I want to have all my questions asked before I have this thing torn apart and run into issues. :)

Thanks!

Rob

Cave Man

macrumors 604
My question is this: If I move the 1TB drive to the second drive connector, can I still boot off of it? I was going to use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the drive onto itself (I split it into two 500 gig partitions), and then boot off either the cloned partition, or the original one, to clone over to the SSD.

Yes, you can, but it doesn't matter which SATA connector you use. But honestly, if you're going to the trouble to install an SSD with the spinning drive you really should make it a fusion drive. The performance is really remarkable.

MrM

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
California
Just purchased This Kingston HyperX 240gb for 139!!!!! Lighting deal! WOOOT!

Can't wait to install it with the OWC Kit... Thanks to everyone who posted so far in this thread.

PS- Anyone know if OWC is giving have a sale this weekend? $45 bucks isn't bad, but if they want to knock another couple dollars off, I wont complain...

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
Just purchased This Kingston HyperX 240gb for 139!!!!! Lighting deal! WOOOT!

Can't wait to install it with the OWC Kit... Thanks to everyone who posted so far in this thread.

PS- Anyone know if OWC is giving have a sale this weekend? $45 bucks isn't bad, but if they want to knock another couple dollars off, I wont complain...
I purchased 2 of them, home and work Mac Mini. One with tools the other without. I used Amazon checkout which saved me a dollar and free shipping, $82 total.
That's a great deal on the SSD. I purchased the Intel 335 240GB from NewEgg today for $155. Pretty solid scores,
http://techreport.com/review/23887/samsung-840-series-ssd-reviewed/11

nifmus

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
Ok, received my 2nd drive kit from OWC yesterday and installed it in my 2012 mac mini last night. Took a good half hour and was back up and running. Came with a booklet outlining all the steps as well as all the tools necessary.

It's very simple to do and the instructions are pretty straight forward.

120GB SSD Boot and Applications drive.
1TB User directories and sundries on the second drive.

Highly Recommended.

Cheers,
Steve

trancinchino

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
Having trouble with step #20 for OWC kit

I'm having a bit of trouble right now with step #20.

I've followed every single step up until this point, but when I insert the logic board removal tool and pull back, the logic board does not slide out. I've tried it at varying degrees of strength, but it doesn't budge. Is there an extra screw somewhere in the new mac mini which needs to be removed? I'm stuck.. help. =P

----------

I've followed every single step up until this point, but when I insert the logic board removal tool and pull back, the logic board does not slide out. I've tried it at varying degrees of strength, but it doesn't budge. Is there an extra screw somewhere in the new mac mini which needs to be removed? I'm stuck.. help. =P

Ok nevermind.. after a lot of pulling and prodding.. finally got it out.

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA

----------

Ok nevermind.. after a lot of pulling and prodding.. finally got it out.
What was the key to getting it out? Did you have the logic board removal tool all the inserted? I'm doing mine this week, I'd like to know.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
What was the key to getting it out? Did you have the logic board removal tool all the inserted? I'm doing mine this week, I'd like to know.

a second pair of hands to hold the mini still while you pull the board out. really helps. I like to have the mini flat on a table then my wife will hold the mini still.

also a little extra on the left side then a little extra on the right side, by extra I like to move the left side 1/16 of an inch or less then move the right side even to it.

then stop and check every thing. At this board the board has been pulled out about the thickness of a bit less then a dime. believe it or not that is enough to pull the oem drive out. then stop and check everything and then pull the logic board out about 1/4 inch.

then stop and check everything at this point . I have done so many of these that i can pull the board out only 1/2 inch and put in both drives. but that takes practice.

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
a second pair of hands to hold the mini still while you pull the board out. really helps. I like to have the mini flat on a table then my wife will hold the mini still.

also a little extra on the left side then a little extra on the right side, by extra I like to move the left side 1/16 of an inch or less then move the right side even to it.

then stop and check every thing. At this board the board has been pulled out about the thickness of a bit less then a dime. believe it or not that is enough to pull the oem drive out. then stop and check everything and then pull the logic board out about 1/4 inch.

then stop and check everything at this point . I have done so many of these that i can pull the board out only 1/2 inch and put in both drives. but that takes practice.

OWC and ifixit make it look so easy, their videos just show somebody inserting the tool and pulling back. I knew it had to be harder than that.

trancinchino

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
OWC and ifixit make it look so easy, their videos just show somebody inserting the tool and pulling back. I knew it had to be harder than that.

Yea.. it looked much easier in the video.

I ended up doing what phillip mentioned, putting pressure on left then right then left, etc. etc. Pulling it straight out didn't seem to work very well.

Definitely would've been easier with an extra pair of hands.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
the first pull out is hard. if I had to guess the videos you saw were that of machines that had been taken apart 2 or 3 times then put back together 2 or 3 times.

It is similar to taking a car door apart to put in a better speaker. The first time is hard after that it opens much easier.

Pulling left and right works , but we have one member that pulled on one side too much and jammed the gear. He sold it on ebay at about 100-200 dollar loss.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.