Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CavemanChuck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
We're about to get new phones, and I am fine with the 16GB 4s for $99... my wife, however wants the 5. She is by no means a power user. She does do lots of email, though. And she likes her calendar program. She will take photos, but probably not take video.

So what are all the differences? She can have the 5 if it makes sense, but I don't see why she needs it.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
We're about to get new phones, and I am fine with the 16GB 4s for $99... my wife, however wants the 5. She is by no means a power user. She does do lots of email, though. And she likes her calendar program. She will take photos, but probably not take video.

So what are all the differences? She can have the 5 if it makes sense, but I don't see why she needs it.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/
http://www.gizmag.com/iphone-5-vs-iphone-4s-vs-iphone-4/24351/
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/apple-iphone-5-vs-iphone-4s-spec-showdown/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmTBV9H7dbA

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009

iPhone 5 has a 4 inch screen, so 1/2 inch larger, so more info gets displayed per page
It's noticeably lighter
I think it has worse build quality than the 4S
iPhone 5 has an aluminum back, iphone 4s has a glass back
iPhone 5 is twice as fast as the 4s, which is really nice. It's at least 4 times as fast as the iphone 4. Hugely and instantly noticeable.
battery life seems to be a bit worse on the iphone 5 vs the iphone 4s
iphone 5 is thinner
iphone 5 camera is better in low light situations
iphone 5 speaker is definitely 1-2 notches louder, and it doesn't distort. Loudest and best phone speaker I've ever heard
iphone 5 call quality is very good, best I've ever heard and instantly better than the iphone 4/4s
iphone 5 headphone jack is at the bottom, which is odd to me
iphone 5 front-facing camera is much improved
iphone 5 physical home button seems to be bette engineered so it won't fail like they can on the iphone 4

The iphone 5 is unquestionably better than the iphone 4 and 4s. It's not up for debate. Then again, almost any phone today is better than the one it replaced 1 yr ago, and certainly 2 years ago. It's really a question of how much better is it for you, and for your wallet? There was a certain core set of features that I wanted the iphone to have which it id not yet have. In the iphone 5 I got it.

-- I wanted it to be alot faster, check
--I wanted it to have a 4 inch screen, which is the ideal portability/comfortable viewing size to me, check
--I wanted it to be thinner, check
--I wanted better battery life (jury is still out)

That's it and that's all that I'll want for the foreseeable future. I could see myself using this phone for four years.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
iPhone 5 has a 4 inch screen, so 1/2 inch larger, so more info gets displayed per page
It's noticeably lighter
iPhone 5 is twice as fast as the 4s, which is really nice. It's at least 4 times as fast as the iphone 4. Hugely and instantly noticeable.
iphone 5 is thinner
iphone 5 speaker is definitely 1-2 notches louder, and it doesn't distort. Loudest and best phone speaker I've ever heard
iphone 5 call quality is very good, best I've ever heard and instantly better than the iphone 4/4s
iphone 5 physical home button seems to be bette engineered so it won't fail like they can on the iphone 4

The iphone 5 is unquestionably better than the iphone 4 and 4s. It's not up for debate. Then again, almost any phone today is better than the one it replaced 1 yr ago, and certainly 2 years ago. It's really a question of how much better is it for you, and for your wallet? There was a certain core set of features that I wanted the iphone to have which it id not yet have. In the iphone 5 I got it.

--I wanted it to have a 4 inch screen, which is the ideal portability/comfortable viewing size to me, check

That's it and that's all that I'll want for the foreseeable future. I could see myself using this phone for four years.

almost everything that was in those links lol.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
It's noticeably lighters
iphone 5 is thinner

My battery life is amazing I get through the entire day and still have charge left.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
It's noticeably lighter
iphone 5 is thinner

You're crazy if you actually typed all of that up!

apprunner

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
My battery life is amazing I get through the entire day and still have charge left.

I have 4, 4S, and 5. Battery life on 5 is better than 4 and waaaay better than 4S.

Also, screen quality is much better on 5. Very noticeable to my eyes. Also, LTE is about 4x faster than HSPA+ on AT&T. Closest thing to a desktop browsing experience you can find in Apple :D

jvette

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
I have both and side by side you see the difference but if you are not a power user I don't think you would ever see a difference in speed. I also have to say the screens look about the same when they are side by side. I guess it all depends on what you want to spend. The 4s is a very good phone and I don't think the 5 brings that much to the table other than being a little larger and thinner and a little lighter.

CavemanChuck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Thanks all.... I think the 4s would be fine, but that glass abck kinda has me worried, even for myself.... that said, I am so not a power user, that I can't see me paying more than $99 for a phone. I have a droid razr that is coming off contract, and I have always wanted an iPhone..... though both my wife and are staring at the Galaxy S3 and drooling.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
What about nearly world wide LTE which is the best feature imo. Anyway i say definitely get the iphone 5. Its looks and feel so much better. I remember the first time i lifted one up i just couldn't believe how light it was. The S3 is old now days and the S4 is rumoured to come out in a few months so that wouldn't be the best decision. Also Iphone 5 is much so much faster than the 4S and also faster than the S3. Up to you though, OS is a big thing as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.