Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:21 AM   #1
kylera
macrumors 6502a

Suitable app for personal database?

For the sake of keeping information related to my various goods on easy reach (serial numbers, receipt scans, warranty lengths, etc.), I would like to create a database. The first app that came to mind was AppleWorks from *insert deity* knows how years ago, but obviously that's just too old now.

I like how Bento has an OS X and iOS equivalent app, but are there any other database apps not necessarily on the Mac App Store that you would like to recommend?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:12 AM   #2
afd
macrumors 6502a

FileMaker works on Mac and Windows and has a free ios app too.
afd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:24 AM   #3
maflynn

Bento is the really the only product I'm aware of for simple database needs. FileMaker Pro which is very powerful, flexible and is cross platform can suit people's needs but it takes more work to set up, where as bento is up in running in minutes.
maflynn is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:22 AM   #4
jojoba
macrumors 65816

I really like DevonThink (it was a bit of a learning curve, though). They have an iPad version, but it's very limited compared to the desktop equivalent.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:30 AM   #5
Efrem
macrumors member

FileMaker Pro is the engine behind Bento. Check out what you can do with Bento and see if it's enough. (I suspect it will be.) You can always go to the full package if you need to do more, want to develop your own database apps from scratch, or are curious about how these things work inside.
Efrem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:36 AM   #6
AndyMoore
macrumors 6502

Wonder if Delicious Library 2 would be suitable for this.
The Blog
AndyMoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:40 AM   #7
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
I really like DevonThink (it was a bit of a learning curve, though). They have an iPad version, but it's very limited compared to the desktop equivalent.
Interesting, I'm going to check them out. I use Bento to keep my karate notes but find it a bit limiting in some areas. One plus is that Bento syncs with its iPad version, but printing in Bento is rather poor.
maflynn is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:05 AM   #8
kylera
macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I think Bento is still the best fit of all the suggestions given so far.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:08 AM   #9
jojoba
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Interesting, I'm going to check them out. I use Bento to keep my karate notes but find it a bit limiting in some areas. One plus is that Bento syncs with its iPad version, but printing in Bento is rather poor.
Yes, sync in DT is a bit cumbersome. I don't really mind because it's one of the few apps that I don't feel a great need to sync to my iPad with my current use pattern. The mac version is really powerful, though, but it might be overkill for some.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:19 AM   #10
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

Search for something called "iData".

Very, very basic, but within its limitations, it's fast and functional.
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:24 AM   #11
jsgreen
macrumors 6502

I use 1Password for saving serial numbers

Evernote would work well as good receipt repository - just snap a picture of it. EN will also OCR the picture and make it searchable, which would come in handy if you have a lot of paperwork to save.

I track warranty periods in Omnifocus; just create an OF task to remind yourself to review warranty-covered items X months before expiration. I guess you could do this in Calendar as well.
jsgreen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:02 AM   #12
jojoba
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgreen View Post

I track warranty periods in Omnifocus; just create an OF task to remind yourself to review warranty-covered items X months before expiration. I guess you could do this in Calendar as well.
That's a great tip, thanks!
jojoba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:01 PM   #13
steveoc
macrumors regular

Consider Tap Forms HD. Very simple and straight forward, but quite flexible. They have versions that work with MacOS and iOS. The syncing between devices works well.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:59 PM   #14
Frosties
macrumors 6502a

For a free full database I would look into Base that is included in open office but I think jsgreen's post above hit the nail when it comes to good programs.

You can also check out some posts on macstories.net on paperless.
Frosties is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:27 PM   #15
BrianBaughn
macrumors 68000

You could set up forms/spreadsheets at Google Docs.
BrianBaughn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:22 PM   #16
MathRulz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylera View Post
For the sake of keeping information related to my various goods on easy reach (serial numbers, receipt scans, warranty lengths, etc.), I would like to create a database.
I use DevonThink for that. No need to create a fancy database, just toss stuff in. Web receipts go in as PDF. Paper receipts are scanned/OCR'd. I put it all in a database called Personal. DT has powerful search capabilities, so no need to do more. I have other DT databases for other topics, e.g., research. I also have the Fujitsu ScanSnap 1500M for scanning, but an all in one printer/scanner works fine to.

FYI--The ScanSnap is amazing. I held off because it's costly, but it is worth every penny if you have lots of paper you want to turn into text-searchable documents, and it works extremely well with DT.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:26 PM   #17
kylera
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgreen View Post
I use 1Password for saving serial numbers

Evernote would work well as good receipt repository - just snap a picture of it. EN will also OCR the picture and make it searchable, which would come in handy if you have a lot of paperwork to save.

I did not realize Omnifocus could be used in that manner...wow.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:17 PM   #18
flynz4
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathRulz View Post
I use DevonThink for that. No need to create a fancy database, just toss stuff in. Web receipts go in as PDF. Paper receipts are scanned/OCR'd. I put it all in a database called Personal. DT has powerful search capabilities, so no need to do more. I have other DT databases for other topics, e.g., research. I also have the Fujitsu ScanSnap 1500M for scanning, but an all in one printer/scanner works fine to.

FYI--The ScanSnap is amazing. I held off because it's costly, but it is worth every penny if you have lots of paper you want to turn into text-searchable documents, and it works extremely well with DT.
+1 for DevonThink. DT + Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500M is a fantastic combination. Every non-structured piece of data (electronic or paper) goes into DevonThink.

We do use other programs for structured data... ex: iTunes for music; Aperture for photos; etc. However... everything unstructured goes into DevonThink.

It is expensive... but probably the very best available.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:37 PM   #19
kgs
macrumors regular

Definitely DevonThink. I'd say it is very much worth it.

An alternative might be Paperless: https://www.marinersoftware.com/products/paperless/

I've not tried Paperless though, so it's strictly a suggestion for you to look at, though I am not recommending it, just saying look.
kgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store