Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:14 AM   #1
MareLuce
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
iOS 6 bugs with Lightning cable connected

I'm seeing 3 bugs, very repeatable, with my iPhone6 [ correction: iPhone5, running iOS6 ] with Lightning cable connected

1) When charging with Lightning cable connected, swipe does not work to get to the passcode prompt

Either it completely doesn't work, or it takes multiple swipes, similar to this person's situation.


2) When charging with Lightning cable connected, using the iPhone as a remote for my Roku XS ormy Panasonic BluRay player causes strange behavior on those devices. ex: It will pause or forward when I did not press those buttons.

If I pull out the lightning cable, it stops doing that.

It's like the lightning cable is sending extra signals.

3) When charging with Lightning cable connected, typing into any app is much less reliable.

I have tried re-starting my iPhone.

Workaround: Remember to disconnect and re-connect Lightning connector to my iPhone if I want to use it while charging.

Last edited by MareLuce; Nov 19, 2012 at 09:18 PM.
MareLuce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:39 AM   #2
pooleman
macrumors 65816
 
pooleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Eastern CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MareLuce View Post
I'm seeing 3 bugs, very repeatable, with my iPhone6 with Lightning cable connected

1) When charging with Lightning cable connected, swipe does not work to get to the passcode prompt

Either it completely doesn't work, or it takes multiple swipes, similar to this person's situation.


2) When charging with Lightning cable connected, using the iPhone as a remote for my Roku XS ormy Panasonic BluRay player causes strange behavior on those devices. ex: It will pause or forward when I did not press those buttons.

If I pull out the lightning cable, it stops doing that.

It's like the lightning cable is sending extra signals.

3) When charging with Lightning cable connected, typing into any app is much less reliable.

I have tried re-starting my iPhone.

Workaround: Remember to disconnect and re-connect Lightning connector to my iPhone if I want to use it while charging.

When exactly did the iPhone 6 come out? I just got my iPhone 5 less than 2 months ago. The technology really moves fast these days.
__________________
Mac Mini (latest model), iBook G4, Mac Mini (mid 2007), iPhone, iPhone 4, iPhone 5 AT&T 32 GB JB'ed unlimited data, ATV3, iPad 2, iPad Mini, iPad Air.
pooleman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:50 PM   #3
mKTank
macrumors 65816
 
mKTank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleman View Post
When exactly did the iPhone 6 come out? I just got my iPhone 5 less than 2 months ago. The technology really moves fast these days.
You really have nothing better to do?

OP, I think I noticed the typing whilst plugged in issue. I think it's interference.
__________________
MBP(Q411)i7 - Mavericks | 16GB RAM | Samsung 840 Pro SSD
iPad Air (WiFi16GB) - iOS 7.1
iPhone 3G/S > Nexus S > iPhone 4/5 > Optimus G > S4 > One > Lumia 920 > Moto X > Note 2/3 > iPhone 5s > G2
mKTank is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:33 PM   #4
pooleman
macrumors 65816
 
pooleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Eastern CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mKTank View Post
You really have nothing better to do?

OP, I think I noticed the typing whilst plugged in issue. I think it's interference.
I really have nothing better to do than what? Spend time on an Apple forum and leave comments? Apparently we both don't have anything better to do.
pooleman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:17 PM   #5
dhlizard
macrumors G3
 
dhlizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Jailbreak Community
Quote:
Originally Posted by MareLuce View Post
I'm seeing 3 bugs, very repeatable, with my iPhone6 with Lightning cable connected.
Hummmm..
__________________
Two iPhone 5S
iPad 4 iPad Air AppleTV 2
MacBook Pro Two iMacs

Look for me here Jailbreak/Unlock Chart
dhlizard is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:24 PM   #6
iapplelove
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Coast USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleman View Post
I really have nothing better to do than what? Spend time on an Apple forum and leave comments? Apparently we both don't have anything better to do.
lol

op i have zero issues when plugged in even tried a few different tests as u described with zero issues
iapplelove is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:19 PM   #7
MareLuce
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleman View Post
When exactly did the iPhone 6 come out? I just got my iPhone 5 less than 2 months ago. The technology really moves fast these days.
My apologies. I meant to say iPhone 5, running iOS 6.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhlizard View Post
Hummmm..
My apologies. I meant to say iPhone 5, running iOS 6.
MareLuce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:22 PM   #8
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MareLuce View Post
I'm seeing 3 bugs, very repeatable, with my iPhone6 [ correction: iPhone5, running iOS6 ] with Lightning cable connected

1) When charging with Lightning cable connected, swipe does not work to get to the passcode prompt

Either it completely doesn't work, or it takes multiple swipes, similar to this person's situation.


2) When charging with Lightning cable connected, using the iPhone as a remote for my Roku XS ormy Panasonic BluRay player causes strange behavior on those devices. ex: It will pause or forward when I did not press those buttons.

If I pull out the lightning cable, it stops doing that.

It's like the lightning cable is sending extra signals.

3) When charging with Lightning cable connected, typing into any app is much less reliable.

I have tried re-starting my iPhone.

Workaround: Remember to disconnect and re-connect Lightning connector to my iPhone if I want to use it while charging.
Sounds like a bad cable to me, buy/genius bar to get a new one.
spyguy10709 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:44 PM   #9
MareLuce
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleman View Post
I really have nothing better to do than what? Spend time on an Apple forum and leave comments? Apparently we both don't have anything better to do.
The key difference is: mkTank contributed something helpful, as did iapplelove.

Your reply reminds me a TripAdvisor reply when I asked:
"What was the best iPhone app that knows both Tubes and Trains in London?"
One guy's response:
"Before iphones were invented (and subsequently), people simply looked at the timetable on the platform while they waited for their train into London, and checked when the last train back was."

Instead of just not replying because
- he did not know
- he had nothing new to contribute
, he chose to spend his time replying with something sarcastic instead of helpful. However, maybe it made him feel better.

Similarly, instead of replying with something helpful (ex: whether it does or does not affect you), you chose to spend your time only pointing out an obvious typo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy10709 View Post
Sounds like a bad cable to me, buy/genius bar to get a new one.
Good point!

2 other possible causes:
I might be using the Lightning cable that came with the new Nano. Should that matter?

I am definitely using the Apple USB power adapter that came with my iPhone 4. Does that matter?

Testing the Apple USB power adapter that came with my iPhone 5 is actually not easy to do soon. It's at work, I won't be for 2 weeks.

Last edited by MareLuce; Nov 19, 2012 at 10:56 PM.
MareLuce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 05:01 AM   #10
MareLuce
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
It was the power adapter

The problem was not in the Lightning cable. The problem was in the power adapter that came with my iPhone5.

I returned it to the Apple Store when I returned my iPad Mini (because both the Mini and my iPhone would get me lost when on next trip - puts my hotel on the wrong side of the Vltava River). Yes, I did make it clear that the adapter was defective

Decided to get a Galaxy Note 2. Google Maps w/ Satellite view are truly beautiful on it, and it can my find my hotel and everything else.
MareLuce is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC