Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
now the 3rd gen iPad is launched, a slightly modest upgrade (just IMO), does that old rumor seems to have some grounds? the new iPhone in the summer and the next iPad in October?

A new iphone is certainly possible. The next ipad could be the 7 inch mini-pad that has been rumoured. They certainly won't introduce it so soon after the release of the ipad, perhaps due to concerns it might cannibalise tablet sales. October marks a plausible mid-point date between this and the next ipad refresh. :cool:

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
It's going to be called IPad Pro and connect to a keyboard dock with OSX. It's going to change everything, again.

MacLover4491

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
How can you possibly say this is a modest update?

I think its modest upgrade too. I went to best buy today and looked at both ipads: 2 and 3. I couldn't tell which is which by looking at the screen and the design. Also by trying to see which one is faster but still doesnt work. It took a long to notice that the new one is thicker and heavier, also the screen is a tiny bit clearer. The only upgrade i see is the camera takes a little better picture. Thats very much it. Not worth it for me to upgrade from my ipad 2 to the new one.

Robin4

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
RTD-NC
As long as we are talking speculation, does anyone think we'll ever see a stand-alone iPad in the future? An iPad that only needs iCloud to sync, no need for a computer at any time?

Bensalama21

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
Are digitimes *that* desperate for hits to their site?
Man, do you look like an idiot, or what?
Oh brother..

Here we go again, let's just rehash the whole rumor mill from last year, where iPad 2 was to come out first, then iPad 3 in the fall.

Not. Gonna. Happen.

Also, how the hell are they gonna add a retina display to the iPad WITHOUT upgrading the hardware? Does anyone really think the iPad can run a >1080p screen with the current hardware?
IT. DID. HAPPEN.

Please. Why read rumors when you are just going to bash them, even when they become true??

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Oh brother..

Here we go again, let's just rehash the whole rumor mill from last year, where iPad 2 was to come out first, then iPad 3 in the fall.

Not. Gonna. Happen.

Also, how the hell are they gonna add a retina display to the iPad WITHOUT upgrading the hardware? Does anyone really think the iPad can run a >1080p screen with the current hardware?

OH the comments... the comments.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
So this shows Apple knew all along they were going to release the 4 before the 3 even came out!!!!

WOW.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Actually John Gruber predicted this in 2011. But he was a year too early :D. So everyone in 2012 just laughed at this news and assumed that Apple would stick to the 1 year interval. With such strong competition from Samsung, i.e. the S serious phone in spring and the big ass Note phone in Autumn/Fall, Apple is forced to be reactionary and shorten the product life cycle.

sitsonthefence

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2012
London, UK
So lucky guess or real insight?

Prediction right on the money, but how can one be so right on this and not on others?

But as other posters may say, what the heck do I know!! Just like all the previous doubters. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.