Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tgreena

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
I have three drives, one SSD and two HDDs. The SSD and one of the HDD are in my MBP and the third is my time capsule router.

Effectively what I want to happen is this: I've partitioned the 1TB HDD in my pro to have a 140GB partition so my SSD will backup to that 140GB all the time because it is inside the same computer. The rest of the 1TB I want to use as media and storage on my pro. And what I want to go to my time capsule is the whole 1TB HDD without the SSD (because the SSD will be backed up onto that 1TB HDD).

So basically I would need two time machines running, one would be all the time backing up my SSD to my HDD in my pro. One would back up when I am on my network from my HDD in my pro to my time capsule.

Is this possible?
I am on Mountain Lion

Last edited:

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I don't believe you can run 2 instances of Time Machine.

You could use CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) to do a scheduled clone update of the SSD to the hard disk, then use Time Machine to do the standard backup of the hard disk and exclude the SSD drive.

Not quite sure why you want to lose part of your internal hard drive with the SSD backup instead of simply using TM to back up both drives??

The link above is to Time Machine backup to 2 destination drives, not what you are asking for. I have been doing that for some time on my Mac Pro and the hourly backups alternate between a external RAID-5 directly connected drive and a NAS drive down in the basement. That works great!

-howard

tgreena

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Not quite sure why you want to lose part of your internal hard drive with the SSD backup instead of simply using TM to back up both drives??

The reason why I would like to do it this way is because the time capsule is 1TB and the internal HDD in my laptop is 1TB, and the SSD is 120. So to back up both the SSD and the Internal HDD I would need a time capsule slightly larger than 1TB. Instead of buying a larger time capsule, I opted to have 120 gigs less on that internal 1TB and I just want to back up the internal 1TB to the time capsule.

So effectively I will have 3 copies of my OS (one on the ssd, one on the internal hdd, and one on the time capsule) and 2 copies of my internal HDD (internal hdd and time capsule).

I am going to try CCC and I will let you know how that works. I am just worried through this technique, I won't be able to restore my OS from a time machine backup in a worst case scenario.

I am still open for suggestions, thanks!

tgreena

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
The other solution I wanted was to have my MBP completely back up to a spare drive in my Windows 7 Server instead of using the time capsule.

I had that working with Lion, but upgrading to ML broke that. In ML, you can't view unsupported drives even when using the terminal command
Code:
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1
but ML broke this feature for some reason.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Ok ... I understand your reasoning. :)

One comment on your Time Capsule and capacity.

Time Machine keeps a historical-backup of file changes such that if you want to go back to a previous version of a document (or your entire system), you can do so by date. This requires more space on your backup volume than on your working volume if you want to preserve any history at all (older versions will be deleted when the disk gets full, leaving the current version). I believe Apple recommends somewhere having a backup volume 1.5 to 2 times the size of your working volumes. However, you can do with less if you are not approaching the size limits of your working volumes (i.e. you only have 400GB actually used on your 1000GB drive).

tgreena

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
I knew time machine was for a running history of the computer but I didn't know that Apple recommends a drive that is 1.5 to 2x the size, that is interesting.

I think I am more interested in its use as a running backup of my current work, rather than a history of the work. Having it be a running history would be great, but I am going to need a bigger HDD for my time capsule or get the Windows 7 backup working...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.