Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:00 PM   #1
Tzuten
macrumors regular

My iPhone 5 upgrade

Little underwhelming coming from a iPhone 4. Speed difference is negligible so far. LTE is more annoying than its worth in my area as it constantly drops to 3G/"4G" causing my web browsing to pause and stutter as it switches. The 4G is worse than my iPhone 4's 3G.

Granted I've only been using it for a few hours. Maybe I got caught up in the hype and my expectations were too high. Nonetheless my 4 was starting to die so the upgrade was needed anyways.
Tzuten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:29 PM   #2
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

You have obviously been smoking something if you're saying the 4 and 5 are the same speed. If you mean data connection that has more to do connection than the phone. Show vid of side by side speed test, otherwise I call bunk. Not saying the 5 should be faster, saying it won't be significantly slower on any given test. Of course unless your on the band of N that the 4 doesn't pick up.
AFDoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:34 PM   #3
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
You have obviously been smoking something if you're saying the 4 and 5 are the same speed. If you mean data connection that has more to do connection than the phone. Show vid of side by side speed test, otherwise I call bunk. Not saying the 5 should be faster, saying it won't be significantly slower on any given test.
funny you should talk about smoking when your state just legalized marijuana
all jokes aside, OP are you serious?
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:18 PM   #4
Tzuten
macrumors regular

Maybe its the constant switching between cellular data and pausing my apps that rely on data that has given me this impression. I was excited by LTE and when I have a good signal it rocks but its so unreliable for me. I jump from LTE to 4g 5-6 times during a 3 minute session. Each time I lag.

Apps are snappier but the 4 wasn't a slouch either. I'm home now so ill put both through its paces without the cell data as a factor. I do like Siri and the form factor of the 5.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:38 PM   #5
forcetactic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
You have obviously been smoking something if you're saying the 4 and 5 are the same speed. If you mean data connection that has more to do connection than the phone. Show vid of side by side speed test, otherwise I call bunk. Not saying the 5 should be faster, saying it won't be significantly slower on any given test. Of course unless your on the band of N that the 4 doesn't pick up.
For the average cellphone user, they don't care about speed as long as it's fast enough to do texting, light browsing, etc. And iPhone 4 is definitely fast enough to do just that.

For cell phone junkies like me, speed is definitely noticeable
forcetactic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:56 PM   #6
jvette
macrumors regular

I still say bull to a noticeable speed difference. I have both 4s and 5 and they seem about he same to me. Pretty much waste of money to upgrade.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:09 PM   #7
Booji
macrumors regular

I went from 4 to 5 and the difference was massive, especially with LTE.

From 4S to 5, however, the gap is much less.
Booji is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:27 AM   #8
Tzuten
macrumors regular

Ok I should follow up now a day with the phone.

Remember my initial impressions were from the instability of LTE in my area causing lag for apps that rely on Internet.

On my home network the speed difference is substantial in every way. It loads web pages 75-100% faster. Games run a lot more fluid. Apps open quicker. Big improvement.

The 4 served me well for over 2 years and was quite rugged despite what others have said. The phone had been naked for 90% of the time and dropped on a few occasions. It has held up cosmetically very well with only a few slight blemishes. My initial hunch is the 5 may not endure the test of time as well. Been reading that even some cases are causing substantial scuffing on the beautiful yet delicate finish.

All in all I'm very satisfied I just wish I had gone 32 gig. Cheers!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone