Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScottRwn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Kansas City, MO
I'm currently at an editing job that is ALL PC based (except for the graphics department, as they are all on Macs). The company purchased a NexGen 30TB fiber storage system and says we will be able to edit directly from the server.

Question is, I'm trying to push them to purchase a MacPro, as I've edited on a Mac for the last 9 years (CS6 now) and they are worried Apple might stop hardware support on MacPros. They think the Fiber storage will reject the Macintosh and have constant network connection drops.

Should I accept PC? Or should I push the argument for a Macintosh? And they won't do a Hackintosh (or custom PC builds at that).

Thoughts?

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
I'm currently at an editing job that is ALL PC based (except for the graphics department, as they are all on Macs). The company purchased a NexGen 30TB fiber storage system and says we will be able to edit directly from the server.

Question is, I'm trying to push them to purchase a MacPro, as I've edited on a Mac for the last 9 years (CS6 now) and they are worried Apple might stop hardware support on MacPros. They think the Fiber storage will reject the Macintosh and have constant network connection drops.

Should I accept PC? Or should I push the argument for a Macintosh? And they won't do a Hackintosh (or custom PC builds at that).

Thoughts?

CS6 actually runs faster on Windows. Seems to be because of better drivers.

Actually a high-end iMac should do also fine, you could also ask for some of them.

I don't see any reason why Fiber-storage wouldn't work on OS X...

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
CS6 is the same on Windows as OSX.

You won't notice any difference using it apart from the fact that it will be quicker on Windows as others have said.

ScottRwn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Kansas City, MO
The reason for the MacPro is I'm using a G-Speed RAID10 with a PCIe 4x controller on my HP desktop.

IT doesn't like Macs really, which is what I think it boils down to. Their argument is that Apple might stop supporting it's hardware down the road and their OS (Mountain Loin). I'm trying to make a solid argument with facts before I ask for a MacPro. :)

Major Reeves

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
EUSSR
Obvious choice, Windows.
Why? Windows is the lead platform for Adobe and that translates in increased reliability and performance of the apps you're running, not to mention Windows's much better drivers and the more wide, up to date, graphics card selection (CS6 has apps that leverage CUDA).
As for the Mac Pro, it's EOL, end of the storyline.

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
No point in getting a Mac if it will have troubles with current system. Also Mac Pro has old processors and ancient GPU.

pyzon

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
usual crap thrown out by most large IT departments, MAC are evil, won't work with this, won't work with that where as the actual truth is these windows / mickeysoft systems engineers have no training/knowledge/skill in MAC and just won't entertain them or bother learn them, also they are mostly too busy, fixing all the windows/pc issues to have time to learn.

Stand up for your right to MAC!

not sure what they mean by 'fibre storage will reject the MAC' ? it's not an ATM card you are working with??? you most likely are just connecting to various shares and storing files on it....?

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
usual crap thrown out by most large IT departments, MAC are evil, won't work with this, won't work with that where as the actual truth is these windows / mickeysoft systems engineers have no training/knowledge/skill in MAC and just won't entertain them or bother learn them, also they are mostly too busy, fixing all the windows/pc issues to have time to learn.

Stand up for your right to MAC!

not sure what they mean by 'fibre storage will reject the MAC' ? it's not an ATM card you are working with??? you most likely are just connecting to various shares and storing files on it....?

Wow dude. Understanding the issue at hand is fairly key to a helpful post. You need to learn the technology spoken of before fan-spasing out. We are all Apple users. Apple sucks at lots of things. One of which is enterprise choice.

ScottRwn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Kansas City, MO
That's kinda my thoughts too. The NexGen storage system, from what I was told and thought was that it's never been test on a Mac system, only Windows.

The whole "dropping" network thing is strange. Basically on a PC, a letter drive represents a server. On a Mac it's the //server or //backup etc. From what I've heard, Mac users have "dropped network" problems where the network drive becomes "disconnected."

And what I mean by rejecting...the fiber card is installed on my PC and they aren't sure if the fiber card will work on a Mac (I know it will) and would the server storage work on a Mac since all of the drivers are PC based. I would think since it's a "network" it would just connected like a normal network configuration.

My point is to make a valid argument. :)

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Apple sucks at lots of things. One of which is enterprise choice.

Depends what you call "enterprise" use.

OS X is harder to "administer" by Sys Admins than Windows, absolutely.
Wintel hardware also makes it easier for IT departments to plan their purchases and keep and support images.

So, in the "classic" sense of enterprise use (i.e. the IT department buys and controls the IT devices) the Mac is trouble.
But, in the sense of Bring Your Own Device (i.e. the user buys and controls the IT device) the Mac is easy.

IMHO, the "classic" use of IT administered devices has had its day. More and more enterprises switch to the BYOD way of life.

ScottRwn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Kansas City, MO
I actually thought about bringing in my own system (Hackintosh 3930k processor) for my composite needs, but IT said no. They are a locked down company with hardly any access to their domain.

I'm so used to OSX and the drag-and-drop ability for designers that it's so hard to switch to Windows. Don't get me wrong, Windows is much more powerful as I've build Windows systems for gaming, but I prefer Mac for designing and editing video (and sound mixing).

I'm trying to make a case as to why IT should buy a Mac vs they just don't want to (as it's hard to admin).

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Depends what you call "enterprise" use.

OS X is harder to "administer" by Sys Admins than Windows, absolutely.
Wintel hardware also makes it easier for IT departments to plan their purchases and keep and support images.

So, in the "classic" sense of enterprise use (i.e. the IT department buys and controls the IT devices) the Mac is trouble.
But, in the sense of Bring Your Own Device (i.e. the user buys and controls the IT device) the Mac is easy.

IMHO, the "classic" use of IT administered devices has had its day. More and more enterprises switch to the BYOD way of life.

I said "choice". Not Use. My job is to use it in the enterprise I am fully aware of the benefits and shortcomings. Choice is just not something you get if you can only buy 2 out of 300 RAID cards and 3 out of 1000's of GPU's etc...
BYOD is nice but if you are large enough the lawyers step in. It is a good idea for phones. Not computers. Sorry. You are not admin on your company machine. Period. For a contractor not a big deal. BYOD and the Cloud. 2 Ideas that will be very hard if impossible to implement if security and IP are a concern for your business. No one wants to take on the liability.

Phrygian

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2011

Thoughts?

why on earth would they not allow custom pc builds...

Anyway, accept the PC is my two cents. Not worth the fuss at your place of business.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
The IT department has a point regarding support. All of us are disappointed that Apple is leaving the professional market, but it seems to be the case. Windows 7 x64 is a rock solid OS and will do your work just fine IMO. I use Windows all day for work but use OS X at home for home office and work, and I like both.

It would be hard to go wrong with a good HP or Dell Precision Workstation with Windows 7 (avoid 8).

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
All of us are disappointed that Apple is leaving the professional market, but it seems to be the case.

These are facts? with a new Mac pro coming out next year that has to be heresay.

Windows 7 x64 is a rock solid OS and will do your work just fine IMO. I use Windows all day for work but use OS X at home for home office and work, and I like both.

So true. It's just a shame Windows Cleartype is so horrid. I can't stand the skinny fonts.

It would be hard to go wrong with a good HP or Dell Precision Workstation with Windows 7 (avoid 8).

Can't say I trust OEM generic power supplies. What are Dell like? as I only trust what I build, which is just personal preference.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
These are facts? with a new Mac pro coming out next year that has to be heresay.

It still is hearsay, but with the way they did the iMac this year and needlessly removed functionality and serviceability, if they do come out with a Mac Pro, how slimmed down will it be? What will they remove because we don't "need" it? No optical drives, no optical bays is what I predict. Perhaps 2.5" drive bays as well. Who knows.

Can't say I trust OEM generic power supplies. What are Dell like? as I only trust what I build, which is just personal preference.

I haven't had any issues with them personally, but they do have good warranty service on site if one does encounter issues.

ScottRwn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Kansas City, MO
Yes, the IT department won't allow custom builds just to avoid service issues with individual hardware pieces vs a complete box. I agree Windows 7 is solid but I have 8 years of OSX shortcuts under my belt that I can't let go of! :(

My first argument was telling IT "Imagine placing all of accounting on Macs, they'd freak out!"

I might just accept Windows 7 as my lord and savior at work. The CMD and CTRL keys swaps I'll just get used to.

I wish we knew more about Apple's pro-market. But I think toys are more fun to sell and have more profit. It's too bad because I really felt like Apple was taking over the market.

On the other hand, AVID does the same crap. They make you update hardware for major upgrades.

ADOBE FTW!:D

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I would get a PC.

Faster platform for Adobe, better driver support, cheaper upgrade paths.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
If your workplace uses Windows, then you should too.

I should probably clarify that you should use Windows; using a PC or a Mac would be up to you, as long as you can use the hardware they need. Macs and PCs are the same thing, and the Mac Pro gets the extra benefit of third-party cards. As long as you run Windows on your (theoretical) Mac Pro, it won't know the difference when it comes to the cards, when there could be troubles using OS X.

ScottRwn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Kansas City, MO
The workplace uses Windows on their servers. The editors are on PCs and the graphics department (3 times as big as the video department) are all on Macs. My boss is even on a Mac. Normally they ask the new hires on platform of choice, but I was given the old editors PC, which was a MESS!!

The only thing that's holding them back from getting a Mac is convincing higher ups. They don't know the difference between the two. Hints why I asked the future of Apple.

The upgrade paths do not matter. If the processor is slow, then they wait out the life cycle of the computer and just replace the box once it's 3 years old, I assume.

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
It still is hearsay, but with the way they did the iMac this year and needlessly removed functionality and serviceability, if they do come out with a Mac Pro, how slimmed down will it be? What will they remove because we don't "need" it? No optical drives, no optical bays is what I predict. Perhaps 2.5" drive bays as well. Who knows.

Whats so bad with hooking up external optical drives? I do that with my PC. You can even get slim versions.

I agree Windows 7 is solid but I have 8 years of OSX shortcuts under my belt that I can't let go of! :(

My first argument was telling IT "Imagine placing all of accounting on Macs, they'd freak out!"

I might just accept Windows 7 as my lord and savior at work. The CMD and CTRL keys swaps I'll just get used to.

I have to admit I end up pressing alt all the time on Windows keyboards. Oh and some of the Adobe buttons are around the wrong way which is annoying. The dialogs.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Whats so bad with hooking up external optical drives? I do that with my PC. You can even get slim versions.

Clutter and cords. I don't understand the concept of streamlining hardware when you have to hang so many accessories off of it and on top of your desk. I use one often enough where I prefer to have it in the CPU.

juanml82

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2011
The OS is something to use to get to the stuff you actually use to get stuff done. Since the stuff you use get stuff done is available in both Mac and PC, and it runs better in a PC than a Mac, then a PC is the better choice.
Is there an argument for the Mac or is it just brand loyalty/wanting to have the same the other guys have?

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
If you....

want the better hardware, better integration with the current infraestructure in your work and no complaints/refusing of service from the IT guys, go with a PC. Other arguments have been poured: Better graphics, CS6 more speedier and so on. The thing is, you are the only user of that computer, right? So you have to had a choice that works for you. But then, the enterprise have persons making decissions over your level.

No important to me to discuss EOL things. Nobody knows for sure about Mac Pros in EOL. Only there are educated guesses/opinions.

So, being a Mac Pro user, based in your post, I advice you to stick with a PC

:):apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.