Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:45 PM   #176
Mactendo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by katewes View Post
I'd say, if you study corporate history of the rise and fall of corporations, I'd give Apple about 12 years. In that time, it could go from media star to total has-been.
Let's hope they won't screw everything up for at least 5 years, just as many as Steve Jobs prepared product plans for.
Mactendo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:46 PM   #177
filippaulsen
macrumors newbie

No wonder my > 2000 rMBP performs so sluggishly when Apples top priority is to release a new OS every year, and stress to make all these "cool" new features... operational?
filippaulsen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:52 PM   #178
The Bulge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
How could anyone not see the benefit of an Apple mapping solution for OS X.

http://www.houdah.com/houdahGeo/screenshots.html (note the Bing maps)

How about Places in iPhoto ?

Just about any Geo application needs maps and flexible ones at that.

How about journals in iOS. If Apple's maps are server side they could be called from shared photos (assuming a internet connection)

Lot's of reason why and frankly the promise of Placebase pushpin technology hasn't been fully realized.
Assuming it works.
The Bulge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:56 PM   #179
Mactendo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Apple has repeatedly said that the unification of OS is not the answer. So far they appear to be correct.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2131441.html
Thanks for the link ))
Mactendo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:03 PM   #180
shaunp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
Sure. But what's in it for Apple?
Hardware sales. They aren't getting any from me right now and wont' until they sort out their desktop platform
shaunp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:04 PM   #181
sazivad
macrumors 6502

Sounds cool. The only problem is, what will they call OS X 10.9?

[via xkcd]

Last edited by sazivad; Nov 20, 2012 at 03:47 PM.
sazivad is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:16 PM   #182
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazivad View Post
They will start a new. The first release under the new animal will simply be called "Boo"

samcraig is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:00 PM   #183
Colpeas
macrumors 6502

I don't know how about other people, but I was completely OK with two year update cycle for OSX. Apple should stick to it, instead of releasing a "new" OS every other year, which only feels like a semi major, but paid update. I'd say people would be more blow away if they saw some breakthrough between updates. But it's their call. My Mac came with ML preinstalled anyway...

Meanwhile give us iTunes 11 already!

P.S. I don't quite understand the maps. I doubt someone will benefit from that breathtaking turn-by-turn navigation on a Mac. Besides, here in the czech rep, it rarely works *properly*.
Colpeas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:17 PM   #184
pixpixpix
macrumors regular

Quote:
Bobcat

Serval
Caracal
Margay
Wildcat

Last edited by dejo; Nov 19, 2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Fixed quote.
pixpixpix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:35 PM   #185
G4DP
macrumors 65816

This will be one way to finally get professionals to stop buying the higher end machines. No one in their right mind would use this for anything important.

More gimmicks because they nothing of note to add.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:38 PM   #186
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4DP View Post
This will be one way to finally get professionals to stop buying the higher end machines. No one in their right mind would use this for anything important.

More gimmicks because they nothing of note to add.
How ironic. You've found a commonality.
nuckinfutz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:55 PM   #187
Bozley0621
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrickettGrrrl View Post
Yes. Command key + P + Return = Print ---WHOA!!!!!

Sadly she's totally frightened of computers since the first one we got her, a Win desktop. I figured that if she feels she's ordering the machine to do something she wants (hence "Command" key), she'd feel better about it.

Although if she could use Siri on her iMac, and fuss at Siri as she does the iMac now, --and if Siri replied to all the fussing with wit, heh, I'd pay to watch that.
Your mom sounds like a trooper.

My mother-in-law is on our family cell plan, but doesn't have unlimited data like us. At the end of every month when she is approaching her data cap, she calls and texts asking what apps use data.

She's about to inherit my husband's old MacBook Pro. When I initially suggested it to my husband, he only agreed on the promise that I would be her tech support.
Bozley0621 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:13 PM   #188
skellener
macrumors 65816

iBooks?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:23 PM   #189
mozumder
macrumors 6502

more worried that they're going to call the version after that as 10.10.

OX X 11 please.
mozumder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:00 PM   #190
thedragonden
macrumors newbie

Now my desktop Mac will be able to track my house when a tornado blows it away to Oz.

Siri: "You're not in Kansas anymore."

I'm Stoked!
thedragonden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:05 PM   #191
CrickettGrrrl
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozley0621 View Post
Your mom sounds like a trooper.

My mother-in-law is on our family cell plan, but doesn't have unlimited data like us. At the end of every month when she is approaching her data cap, she calls and texts asking what apps use data.

She's about to inherit my husband's old MacBook Pro. When I initially suggested it to my husband, he only agreed on the promise that I would be her tech support.
Good luck, perhaps it will go smoothly.

I do Mac tech support for several friends and family --some are fabulous about it, but the closest family & friends are the absolute worst. In fact, I'm thinking about strangling one of them now because of the past several days' iDrama, lol.

Last edited by CrickettGrrrl; Nov 19, 2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: apostrophe
CrickettGrrrl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:46 PM   #192
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Hate to state it, but Siri and iOS 6 Maps are two of the biggest weak points on Apple's iOS platform. Why port them to OS X when there is so much more to make it as [universally] stable as 10.6 had been? I fear this rushing of OS X combined with half baked iOS "features" will lead to more OS X disasters.

(yes, it sold well, for $19.99 - 10.6 sold for $129, is only offered on new Mac's, and forced people into 10.8 for iCloud integration, so sales numbers do not equal success in overall product quality)

----------

Quote:
"Kitty Litter"
bedifferent is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:50 PM   #193
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
Hate to state it, but Siri and iOS 6 Maps are two of the biggest weak points on Apple's iOS platform. Why port them to OS X when there is so much more to make it as [universally] stable as 10.6 had been? I fear this rushing of OS X combined with half baked iOS "features" will lead to more OS X disasters.

(yes, it sold well, for $19.99 - 10.6 sold for $129, is only offered on new Mac's, and forced people into 10.8 for iCloud integration, so sales numbers do not equal success in overall product quality)[COLOR="#808080"]

Matter of opinion. I find Siri to be fine and has gotten much better in iOS 6. Maps was always going to be a project but few companies could launch a new mapping platform without issue the first time around. There's no such thing as universal stability. There's no way to test voice recognition without having thousands of samples and Maps require a lot of crowd sourcing work as well. Apple had to put'em in the field and then clean thing up and that's what they're doing.

No one was forced into 10.8 that didn't buy a computer with it already installed.
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:41 PM   #194
joshwithachance
macrumors 65816

Doesn't Apple realize we DON'T want iOS features in OSX...?
joshwithachance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:07 AM   #195
MacDav
Banned

Siri, are you in there?

----------

10.9? What's that? I only understand kitty names.
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:02 AM   #196
verniesgarden
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to verniesgarden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed91 View Post
I'm all for a standalone Maps.app on OS X, and if Apple can expand the use of it's maps platform to OS X and steal users from Google while they're at it, it's win-win.
I'm with you, and have it where when i click something on say Facebook event, pops up the location and i can grab my phone and go having the direction already there without having to tell it, seamless integration with iCloud.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:46 AM   #197
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Matter of opinion. I find Siri to be fine and has gotten much better in iOS 6. Maps was always going to be a project but few companies could launch a new mapping platform without issue the first time around. There's no such thing as universal stability. There's no way to test voice recognition without having thousands of samples and Maps require a lot of crowd sourcing work as well. Apple had to put'em in the field and then clean thing up and that's what they're doing.

No one was forced into 10.8 that didn't buy a computer with it already installed.
Agree with everything (comment was more rhetorical/comical ).

I do take issue with the last comment. A lot of people had to move to 10.8 if, and only if, they wanted full iCloud support. I had 10.6.8 running on a second SSD in my Mac Pro and was able to get calendar, bookmarks and contacts syncing (the tricky one of the bunch, took me two days to solve the error in which constant contact duplicates were created every time is checked for changes), aside from Photo-stream, Document Syncing, etc there wasn't an issue. However I did need the other benefits to iCloud syncing with all my systems and devices, and the only way to achieve that is via 10.8. In essence, you are strong armed into upgrading unless you don't need full use of all your mobile devices (which by definition defeats a main purpose).
bedifferent is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:17 AM   #198
therockyroad
macrumors member

All I want for Christmas is iBook OSX
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:03 AM   #199
kockgunner
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by katewes View Post
In a few years time, most people will have forgotten the days, not so long ago, when Apple would take about 10 iterations to eventually make their OS's totally rock solid. Leopard and Snow Leopard each started out really buggy, but by the end of their iterations they were totally rock solid. All that will change. Now, with a new OS each year, and only 5 iterations for Lion (so far), we're leaving the days when Apple would keep going until the OS was totally solid. We're now entering a post-Jobs era where, under Cook, near enough is good enough, then on to the next best thing. It's a consumer orientation focused on making tons of money, rather than pride of craftsmanship in the OS.

Back in the old days - I mean Leopard and Snow Leopard - I could basically sit it out on the 9th or 10th iteration of the OS, waiting for about a year till you early adopters beta tested for bugs, and then I'd join the game when the OS was mostly de-bugged. But now, these new OS's don't seen to get past the 5th iteration.

I'd say, if you study corporate history of the rise and fall of corporations, I'd give Apple about 12 years. In that time, it could go from media star to total has-been.
Lol when is getting the OS solid in 5 iterations instead of 10 a bad thing? Given companies like Nokia are still alive even though they only started making decent products recently after a 10 year hiatus, I'd say Apple is good.
kockgunner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:15 AM   #200
Drunken Master
macrumors 65816

Quote:

[via xkcd]
Lynx is the rumor, but I could see Ocelot too. Reminds me of Revolver Ocelot in Metal Gear Solid.
Drunken Master is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion