Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Don't do it

Do you really want to go through the hassle of returning and rebuying?

ivbaseball06

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
Yes, it's worth it for me. I've been waiting for the new iMac for over a year. Within the last month my needs have increased because my old one (early 2006) is significantly slower and I'm working on a masters thesis.

I almost bought the refurbished when the new one was announced, mostly because the improvements weren't worth the wait. I decided not to because they would be here in December.

Truth is, even if they do release in December, I might not even get one until February due to availability. If that's the case, I'm perfectly happy with the refurbished model. At least I know they are stable and are good machines.

If the new one is available in December I will go and check it out. If I think it's better than mine and worth the hassle, then I'll do the swap. I'm not just doing it to rent the computer for a month with 100% return intentions. I'm just hedging my bets a bit.

desantim

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
I picked up the 27" 256 ssd i7 3.4 ghz 20 minutes after the Apple event and promptly added 16 gigs of ram and this thing is money. Money well spent. It handles all my work stuff and even a few games I play like dirt 2 at full spec without a hiccup. I'm extremely happy I wasn't dumb enough to wait and get a beta test machine. There will be issues with this new one I am 100% sure.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I picked up the 27" 256 ssd i7 3.4 ghz 20 minutes after the Apple event and promptly added 16 gigs of ram and this thing is money. Money well spent. It handles all my work stuff and even a few games I play like dirt 2 at full spec without a hiccup. I'm extremely happy I wasn't dumb enough to wait and get a beta test machine. There will be issues with this new one I am 100% sure.

I've been beta testing my release-date 2009 iMac now for 3 years (flawlessly, I might add). Quite happy to beta test the new, screaming-fast GPU in a 2012/2013 iMac very soon. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.