Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:29 PM   #1
BrokeTechLover
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Tips & Info for iCloud newbie

Hi all

I'm just now turning on iCloud and giving find my iphone a try too,& I'm a complete newb. I've read numerous articles and I think I have a grip on what iCloud is and is supposed to do. But if there's any advice you guys can give me then that would great

P.S. I'm using an iPhone 4 on ios 6
BrokeTechLover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:47 PM   #2
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030
 
HazyCloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
First off iCloud is not just a folder to keep anything you want in there. Apps like iMovie and all of the iWork apps need to support it and then their data will be stored there.

Second, iCloud is made to keep all of your device's data in-sync across all of your iOS and Mac devices. It can sync your Contacts, Calendar, Mail (w/ an @me.com or @icloud.com email address), Reminders, Safari bookmarks, Notes, App's data (mentioned above), PhotoStream, Find My iOS device and backup your devices.

PhotoStream is made to backup your last 30 days/1000 pictures in the event you accidentally delete one. Apple erases pictures that are over 30 days old, so restore an image as soon as possible if you realized it has been deleted. Pictures are sent to PhotoStream once your device has a Wi-Fi connection.

iCloud backups are probably my favorite part of iCloud. If turned on, your device will backup to Apple's servers when the device is charging and on Wi-Fi. This is helpful in the even your break or lose your device since you will be able to restore to a backup that's usually less than 24 hours old. Backing up to iTunes requires you to plug your device in and of course remember to do it regularly.

Do you have any questions regarding iCloud or things you don't understand? I'll be glad to explain them to you.
__________________
If you have a question about my post, quote me so I am notified and can easily reply to you.
HazyCloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:32 PM   #3
BrokeTechLover
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
First off iCloud is not just a folder to keep anything you want in there. Apps like iMovie and all of the iWork apps need to support it and then their data will be stored there.

Second, iCloud is made to keep all of your device's data in-sync across all of your iOS and Mac devices. It can sync your Contacts, Calendar, Mail (w/ an @me.com or @icloud.com email address), Reminders, Safari bookmarks, Notes, App's data (mentioned above), PhotoStream, Find My iOS device and backup your devices.

PhotoStream is made to backup your last 30 days/1000 pictures in the event you accidentally delete one. Apple erases pictures that are over 30 days old, so restore an image as soon as possible if you realized it has been deleted. Pictures are sent to PhotoStream once your device has a Wi-Fi connection.

iCloud backups are probably my favorite part of iCloud. If turned on, your device will backup to Apple's servers when the device is charging and on Wi-Fi. This is helpful in the even your break or lose your device since you will be able to restore to a backup that's usually less than 24 hours old. Backing up to iTunes requires you to plug your device in and of course remember to do it regularly.

Do you have any questions regarding iCloud or things you don't understand? I'll be glad to explain them to you.

Thanks 4 replying HazyCloud

One question I have Is I was wondering when it shows app backup,does it mean if I were to get a new phone and restore from icloud and install the same apps,would all my game progress be restored as well?

And another thing; if my phone turned up stolen,& I have find my iphone installed,would it track the phone even if the robber turned the phone off? Or on airplane mode? Does FMI require a data connection??
BrokeTechLover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:37 PM   #4
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030
 
HazyCloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeTechLover View Post
Thanks 4 replying HazyCloud

One question I have Is I was wondering when it shows app backup,does it mean if I were to get a new phone and restore from icloud and install the same apps,would all my game progress be restored as well?

And another thing; if my phone turned up stolen,& I have find my iphone installed,would it track the phone even if the robber turned the phone off? Or on airplane mode? Does FMI require a data connection??
Yes, when you restore from a backup, most game saves should be saved.

You don't need the FMI app on the phone itself. Just flip it to 'on' under Settings>iCloud. The app is for someone else to find their devices on your iPhone. And yes, to find it, the iPhone needs a connection. Luckily as long as it's powered on and still has the SIM in it, you'll have a connection.

To find your iPhone, you'll want to log in to iCloud.com and locate it from there.
__________________
If you have a question about my post, quote me so I am notified and can easily reply to you.
HazyCloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:42 PM   #5
BrokeTechLover
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Thnx a lot,,the app backup should be very useful since I'm constantly restoring due to the "Other" catergory growing to massive proportions-__-


Ohh and also,with photo stream,since I can share them,can I select what gets uploaded?? I have a 2 year old cousin that tends to take random pics and I'd hate for those to get uploaded
BrokeTechLover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:43 PM   #6
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030
 
HazyCloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
No, but you can always go into the Photos app and delete the ones you want removed from PhotoStream.
__________________
If you have a question about my post, quote me so I am notified and can easily reply to you.
HazyCloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:46 PM   #7
BrokeTechLover
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Alright sounds awesome,,hopefully once I sign up for iTunes Match the cloud will be my best friend
BrokeTechLover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:51 PM   #8
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030
 
HazyCloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeTechLover View Post
Alright sounds awesome,,hopefully once I sign up for iTunes Match the cloud will be my best friend
If you have any questions about Match, ask away. I've been using it for over a year now.
__________________
If you have a question about my post, quote me so I am notified and can easily reply to you.
HazyCloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:52 PM   #9
BrokeTechLover
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
How has it been using ios 6?? I've heard many mixed reviews ..
BrokeTechLover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:15 AM   #10
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030
 
HazyCloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeTechLover View Post
How has it been using ios 6?? I've heard many mixed reviews ..
No problems from my end. Most of the people complaining are upset about Google Maps being gone. I personally have used Apple's Maps to travel through 2 states and I didn't have a single issue. It took me right where I needed to be.
__________________
If you have a question about my post, quote me so I am notified and can easily reply to you.
HazyCloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PAX East - Tips for a Newbie? musicpenguy Console Games 5 Apr 14, 2014 12:42 PM
iCloud info Dominicanyor iCloud and Apple Services 4 Apr 27, 2013 02:09 AM
help newbie buying first Mac - rMBP 13: IR test and other tips needed lorcar MacBook Pro 18 Mar 5, 2013 03:38 AM
iPhone: newbie question: Used iPhone purchase tips sfphoto Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 2 Dec 29, 2012 07:46 PM
Newbie to iCloud with a Mail question Gryz OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 6 Jul 26, 2012 06:02 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps