Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:09 AM   #1
mac00l
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
Anyone having BB legacy habits???

I was surfing another tread about someone complaining about how the new location of the audio jack interferes with his typing ability. Then I realized how even with the phone in vertical position I still write with both hands.

I have had iPhones for about 3 years. But I realized that my typing habits are a legacy from my times with a BB and a qwerty keyboard.

Anyone having this or any other habits???
__________________
MacBook Pro 13" 2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM ; MacBook Air 13" 1.3Ghz, 4GB RAM ; 16GB iPhone 5 ; 32GB iPad mini ; Apple TV Moto X
mac00l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:42 AM   #2
monkor
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac00l View Post
I was surfing another tread about someone complaining about how the new location of the audio jack interferes with his typing ability. Then I realized how even with the phone in vertical position I still write with both hands.

I have had iPhones for about 3 years. But I realized that my typing habits are a legacy from my times with a BB and a qwerty keyboard.

Anyone having this or any other habits???
You're far from the minority. It takes me about a month to type most thing with one hand, so I always use two. Unfortunately, this cramps the screen too much and I end up being awful in terms of precision. Typing with one hand is too slow, but my hands are too big to use both. I'm a casualty of the QWERTY keyboard dying out in smartphones. Typing, in my opinion, is still a big flaw on touchscreen phones.
monkor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:12 AM   #3
takeshi74
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac00l View Post
Anyone having this or any other habits???
Thankfully, no. And I'm still using a Curve as well.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:03 AM   #4
MattBookBower
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bournemouth, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkor View Post
You're far from the minority. It takes me about a month to type most thing with one hand, so I always use two. Unfortunately, this cramps the screen too much and I end up being awful in terms of precision. Typing with one hand is too slow, but my hands are too big to use both. I'm a casualty of the QWERTY keyboard dying out in smartphones. Typing, in my opinion, is still a big flaw on touchscreen phones.
Don't really see how else we would pen our messages, stylus pens are useless and the voice dictation is stupid imo, I couldn't imagine trying to write a private message by speaking into the phone.

I still use two hands to type when I'm sending a message, but usually turn it on it's side when doing this.
MattBookBower is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:29 PM   #5
Stuntman06
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
I prefer landscape keyboard sliders over the BB keyboards. I find the BB keyboards too narrow and the keys too close together for my liking.

My old Desire Z died in July, so I had to switch to touch screen keyboards. It took me about 4 months to get to the point that I can tolerate it. At one point, I was thinking of ditching it for a keyboard slider phone. I'm accepting touch screen keyboard for now.
__________________
<\
\>tuntman
Stuntman06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:32 PM   #6
BFizzzle
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac00l View Post
I was surfing another tread about someone complaining about how the new location of the audio jack interferes with his typing ability. Then I realized how even with the phone in vertical position I still write with both hands.

I have had iPhones for about 3 years. But I realized that my typing habits are a legacy from my times with a BB and a qwerty keyboard.

Anyone having this or any other habits???
yeah the only time i use one hand..is when driving.
two hands always to type.
long live the sidekick!
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:43 PM   #7
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Wow I find it easier to type one handed and that i mess up more when using 2.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:48 PM   #8
tvith
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
One of the very few things I enjoyed on Android, the swype keyboard. At first I hated it, but once I got the hang of it...it was the best on handed keyboard I've used in my life. I only always had touch screen, going as far back as windows vx6800. I still find myself sliding my fingers on the iphone. As for the iPhone, I do use both hands on the iphone. I find that I'm able to type faster on the iphone than any other phone i've used....which I didn't expect and was a pleasant surprise
tvith is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:19 AM   #9
monkor
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBookBower View Post
Don't really see how else we would pen our messages, stylus pens are useless and the voice dictation is stupid imo, I couldn't imagine trying to write a private message by speaking into the phone.

I still use two hands to type when I'm sending a message, but usually turn it on it's side when doing this.
Agreed about stylus pens, agreed about voice dictation.

I'm thinking more along the lines of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwbO2...layer_embedded

I think that would about do it if that technology could become more feasible. I know that's in the future, but it's what I would prefer.
monkor is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What iOS habits do you have? Zmanbaseball2 iOS 7 22 Feb 24, 2014 01:56 PM
Keep everything under control with Habits Pro on iOS BombApp iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Feb 21, 2013 04:35 PM
Daily Challenge - new app for managing challenges and creating new habits tapsphere iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Sep 17, 2012 08:54 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC