Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tears2040

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
You wrote the review? Nicely done and very useful.
My only concern is the lack of dedicated GPU. I do need to handle small FCP edits and sure don't want to regret a Mini purchase over the invisible iMac.

----------

I hear you Tears. When you say you couldn't edit HD video, do you mean it was sluggish, or it was impossible? I would think the former. Were you using FCP or iMovie or Premier or ??

FCp and Motion

Yes you can use it, and it is doable. Problem is though when using filters within FCP and video playback it's just not smooth...... Also using Motion you have to turn off so many graphic options it just was not worth it.

CPu is a beast but I do a lot of Hd video editing and Photography work. When using filters you need a graphics card. The Graphics card in my 2011 iMac is 3x faster than the HD4000 and the Graphics card in the base 2011 imac is nothing spectacular.....

Personally imo I consider the Mac Mini unusable for any advanced HD video and Motion graphics work. I bought it and had to return it.

WrrN

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
FCp and Motion
Personally imo I consider the Mac Mini unusable for any advanced HD video and Motion graphics work. I bought it and had to return it.

Hmm, now I'm in a quandary. I have to get something soon, but if I'm honest about my FCP usage, I've only handled 2 video clients in the last year. Most of my work is still graphics. I think I can live with HD4000. It'll likely be as fast as my current 256MB ATI Radeon X1600 in my '06 MBP.

tears2040

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
Hmm, now I'm in a quandary. I have to get something soon, but if I'm honest about my FCP usage, I've only handled 2 video clients in the last year. Most of my work is still graphics. I think I can live with HD4000. It'll likely be as fast as my current 256MB ATI Radeon X1600 in my '06 MBP.

Apple has 14 day return period. Yes the Hd4000 will be as fast or faster than your 2006 but that's really not the point.

Personally I need a dedicated graphics card due to the work I do, for you it might be fine. Not everyone is the same. In the event though that you NEED it, just remember your F%@ked.

WrrN

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
Apple has 14 day return period. Yes the Hd4000 will be as fast or faster than your 2006 but that's really not the point.

Personally I need a dedicated graphics card due to the work I do, for you it might be fine. Not everyone is the same. In the event though that you NEED it, just remember your F%@ked.

Between my comments last night and now, I have come to the conclusion that a dedicated GPU is a must. I could "get by" with integrated GPU, but why put myself through that. Especially as I'd likely keep my purchase for a good 5 years. Thanks.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
I've never owned a Mac Mini and don't know much about them.

I do have a question though. Is the Mac Mini compatible with ANY monitor or just Apples?

Any info would be appreciated!

WrrN

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
I do have a question though. Is the Mac Mini compatible with ANY monitor or just Apples?

My understanding is that you can use any monitor that has the appropriate connector, which is most modern monitors.

tears2040

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
My understanding is that you can use any monitor that has the appropriate connector, which is most modern monitors.

Yeah, hdmi connection works with pretty much any monitor. Problem is though most monitors are not really Apple quality. You will easily spend $500+ on any decent monitor and more for a good one.

Those $200-$300 monitors will work fine, but compared to an iMac screen there is a big difference in quality.

madrag

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
I've never owned a Mac Mini and don't know much about them.

Any info would be appreciated!

Any monitor, you then have to use the correct connection/adapter.

The Mac Mini comes with the HDMI to DVI adapter, and most monitors are DVI.

Or you could use a HDMI monitor (and connect to the native HDMI port that the mini has).

Or you could get another adapter for a VGA monitor.

Also you can get adapters that connect to the thunderbolt port (which is compatible with the mini displayPort connection). In this case would be a mini displayPort to DVI (or VGA or HDMI) adapter.

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
Yeah, hdmi connection works with pretty much any monitor. Problem is though most monitors are not really Apple quality. You will easily spend $500+ on any decent monitor and more for a good one.

Those $200-$300 monitors will work fine, but compared to an iMac screen there is a big difference in quality.

A monitor with a similiar, somehow even higher quality level than the Thunderbolt Display would be Dell's U2711 at a cost of approx. 550 Euros.
Doesn't look as nice as Apples screen, but at least it's non-glossy.

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
ASUS VS239H-P 23-Inch Full-HD LED IPS Monitor - $174.99

All the reviews that I read said it has a flimsy stand, but no dead pixels. Price is good.

madrag

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Today I decided in favour of the Mac Mini, i7 2.6GHz, ordered 16GB of RAM from Crucial yesterday (68 EUR with tax, I got 10% discount yesterday!).

Just placed my order and am waiting for my Mini to arrive (ETA 13th of Dec.).

What weighted more was user upgradeability.

As for the performance, as I can see compared to the iMac, it isn't much lesser, so I'm happy ;)

SSD is next.

If you decide for the iMac, good for you!, for me the wait is (almost) over :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.