Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:56 PM   #1
beeinformed
macrumors 6502

Buying A Non Contract iPhone 5 From Best Buy

Hi,

I went to Best Buy's website to buy an AT&T iPhone 5 and it gives you four options, one of which is "replace my device, no contract" and below that option it saids "unactivated price" at $699.99. You pay at the "checkout" with a credit card and pick up the phone at your nearest Best Buy location.

I wish to pay for the phone this way, since it is not yet available officially to buy an unlocked version from Apple. I would like to add that I am with another carrier (T-Mobile) and the AT&T version seems to be the best choice (from what I've read).

Is this "method" of buying this phone, a good way of getting an unlocked, non-contract iPhone? Thanks!
beeinformed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:10 PM   #2
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

I bought my AT&T iPhone from Best Buy full price. Locked with AT&T sim already installed out of the box. I unlocked it on eBay for a few bucks.
duneriderltr450 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:16 PM   #3
beeinformed
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneriderltr450 View Post
I bought my AT&T iPhone from Best Buy full price. Locked with AT&T sim already installed out of the box. I unlocked it on eBay for a few bucks.
Did you have to activate the phone in the store and did they ask if you have an account with At&T? I wish to activate the phone, when I leave the store as I have a T-Mobile nano sim card ready to insert in the phone.
beeinformed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:26 PM   #4
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

Yeah but I just said I would just like to buy it without a contract. I didn't get the unlock message in iTunes when I first synced it, but I did not test it with a different sim to see if it was truly unlocked. So I don't know... The unlock was so cheap on eBay I just went with that option.
duneriderltr450 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:36 PM   #5
beeinformed
macrumors 6502

I hope they would let me buy the phone without having an account with AT&T and activate it on my own.
beeinformed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:44 PM   #6
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

That's exactly what I did. I didn't have an account with AT&T and I even mentioned to the sales guy that I plan to use it with t-mobile or straight talk.
duneriderltr450 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:00 AM   #7
max5peru
macrumors member

I just talk with a BB sales representative by chat and they told me that you can buy the device only but the phone will come locked to a carrier.
Since the iphone could be unlocked on ebay or thru ATT, I guess this is a best safe to buy it.
What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeinformed View Post
I hope they would let me buy the phone without having an account with AT&T and activate it on my own.
max5peru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:05 AM   #8
andgosun
macrumors newbie

Smile Unlocking

If a phone is locked to a carrier, the best is to have the store unlock it. You might check with a reputable listing on ebay, they may help you, and buy a Tmobile sim on ebay. Or buy both on ebay. Shop around for the best deal

Last edited by andgosun; Nov 19, 2012 at 10:12 AM.
andgosun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:38 AM   #9
max5peru
macrumors member

ATT offers the service:
http://forums.att.com/t5/Apple-Commu...t/td-p/3308331

The problem is that the BB site is down!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgosun View Post
If a phone is locked to a carrier, the best is to have the store unlock it. You might check with a reputable listing on ebay, they may help you, and buy a Tmobile sim on ebay. Or buy both on ebay. Shop around for the best deal
max5peru is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:54 AM   #10
pugnut
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

I have multiple full tilt phone, from AT&T and they are unlocked already. I restored via itunes and the message came up- along with my phones my wife has one also was unlocked.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...an-easy-reset/
pugnut is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:39 PM   #11
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

whats the point of buying the phone outright if it's locked to a carrier
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:13 PM   #12
Prime85
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeinformed View Post
Hi,

I went to Best Buy's website to buy an AT&T iPhone 5 and it gives you four options, one of which is "replace my device, no contract" and below that option it saids "unactivated price" at $699.99. You pay at the "checkout" with a credit card and pick up the phone at your nearest Best Buy location.

I wish to pay for the phone this way, since it is not yet available officially to buy an unlocked version from Apple. I would like to add that I am with another carrier (T-Mobile) and the AT&T version seems to be the best choice (from what I've read).

Is this "method" of buying this phone, a good way of getting an unlocked, non-contract iPhone? Thanks!
Buy it from the apple store. Walked in Friday Asked for 2 AT&T device only iPhones and bam. Already unlocked. Just throw a t-mobile sim in and it works. Now I am stuck using t-mobile on 3G but the workers at tmobile said they are working on getting the hspa+ network up and running by January and then LTE by the summer. AT&T iPhones are unlocked out of the box from the apple store. No need to even restore in itunes like some people have said
Prime85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:02 AM   #13
SenseiPhone
macrumors regular

Off-contract doesnt mean unlocked.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:59 PM   #14
Jusfer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
whats the point of buying the phone outright if it's locked to a carrier
About $300!

That, or more, is what you save when you buy an iPhone outright (locked is okay if you are happy with that carrier, no?).

Do the math!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:51 AM   #15
mactumors
macrumors regular

You're better off not buying it at Best Buy for 699.99. It's 649.99 from Apple for a no-contract iPhone. Best Buy might match it.
mactumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:09 AM   #16
mandark100
macrumors member

Can anybody please tell me how to buy unactivated iphone 5 on bestbuy. Because whenever I hit on 'Add to Package' they add carrier locked iPhone 5 and I don't want to buy on-contract iphone.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:17 AM   #17
max5peru
macrumors member

Apple store didn't want to sell me the iphone without a contract or an existing phone line to activate the phone. I bought the aTT version and I'm actually waiting for a response from thee unlocking service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactumors View Post
You're better off not buying it at Best Buy for 699.99. It's 649.99 from Apple for a no-contract iPhone. Best Buy might match it.

----------

I choose the AT&T at full price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandark100 View Post
Can anybody please tell me how to buy unactivated iphone 5 on bestbuy. Because whenever I hit on 'Add to Package' they add carrier locked iPhone 5 and I don't want to buy on-contract iphone.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:29 AM   #18
max5peru
macrumors member

Could you please tell us who in eBay made the unlock? Just want to be sure that I'm giving my money to a trustable person. Thanks!
Quote:
Yeah but I just said I would just like to buy it without a contract. I didn't get the unlock message in iTunes when I first synced it, but I did not test it with a different sim to see if it was truly unlocked. So I don't know... The unlock was so cheap on eBay I just went with that option.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:48 AM   #19
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by max5peru View Post
Could you please tell us who in eBay made the unlock? Just want to be sure that I'm giving my money to a trustable person. Thanks!
unlock_fusion

Took about 24 hours for the unlock to go through for me.
duneriderltr450 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:42 PM   #20
max5peru
macrumors member

Red face

I have done that. I'll get the phone next week so I hope it works!!!!
Wish me luck! Thanks for the info!
Happy Thanksgiving!

Max

Quote:
unlock_fusion

Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:07 PM   #21
max5peru
macrumors member

Exclamation Do I need to activate the iPhone before?

I got the unlocked confirmation but I dont have the phone yet (stills in the US)
My sister is not familiar with technology as us so I guess I'll need to wait but I was reading the email I got from unlock fusion and got this:

What if your phone shows up as NOT ACTIVATED?

You need to use an AT&T active sim card to activate or get the last owner billing zip code & last 4 of social. Please make sure you DONT confuse UNLOCKING with Activating it. They are two different things.

Since I bought the phone full price but skip the activation process in store and I dont have an ATT SIM (just have one unactive from an iphone 3 and one active from T Mobile)... do I need to activate it with ATT before complete the unlock process? Could anybody help me pls?

Thanks!

Quote:
unlock_fusion

Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:16 PM   #22
marsmissions
macrumors 6502

If you can't wait best buy is a perfectly fine option. They charge $50 more than apple does.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:38 PM   #23
max5peru
macrumors member

I have done that, but I'm worried because I didnt activate the phone with ATT. I have already unlocked via ebay but I dont know if the phone will work when I put the Non ATT SIM here in PERU.

Thats why I am asking if I need to activate it with ATT first and how??

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsmissions View Post
If you can't wait best buy is a perfectly fine option. They charge $50 more than apple does.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:23 AM   #24
max5peru
macrumors member

Exclamation Help

Ok, this is what have i done
1. Bought the iphone at unactivated price on best buy (799plus taxes)
2. request the unlock to att but they denied my order because the phone is not linked to any account
3. request the unlock to unlock fussion on ebay. got their email with the unlock successful message.
4. as the iphone stills in the US, im afraid to wont be able to activate the iphone in my country with my local carrier.
There is an activation screen who says that apple and att need to validate the phone I provide when I buy the iphone, since I didnt provide a phone number, will I get that screen? If So, what should I do (check attachment)

I'm thinking to ask my sister en GA to return the phone... since I'm not sure I'll make it work here.. what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	question.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	379002  
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:28 AM   #25
Vudoo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsmissions View Post
That's why I would have Best Buy price match so you don't have to pay the extra $50.
Vudoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone