Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I live in Los Angeles.

Don't have any big issues with Apple Maps. I love Apple Maps actually.

Get better directions than Navigon. Navigon will sometimes send to somewhere a mile away.

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
I'm with you on that. I'm in Rancho Cucamonga (East of Los Angeles). Never had any issues with the new Maps. I have had google try to have me take streets that didn't exists yet, as well as many problems with the 71 freeway.

Kukulcan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
I thought Google had amazing maps that couldn't be topped?

That is what is seriously wrong with people nowadays. Google (and Apple) offer you the service of displaying terrain heights and poeple complain about it being not perfect.

What you see is the unavoidable drawback of that feature. Apple is hard at work to fix such stuff with Flyover, which obviously can not offer full earth coverage soon, Google offers you street view should you need to investigate that spot in more detail.

But people complain about their sense of aesthetics being hurt by examples like this. That growing mindset of ungratefulness makes me angry.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
So far Apple Maps has been more accurate than any of the other GPS apps on my phone. The traffic leaves much to be desired, though.

throys

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2011
London
I would say in 3-5 years apple maps will be used quite as much as google. It will take time, Apple marketed theier new maps wrongly and shot themselves in the foot, but seriously for a map this new it beats google maps on some bits already

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
That is what is seriously wrong with people nowadays. Google (and Apple) offer you the service of displaying terrain heights and poeple complain about it being not perfect.

What you see is the unavoidable drawback of that feature. Apple is hard at work to fix such stuff with Flyover, which obviously can not offer full earth coverage soon, Google offers you street view should you need to investigate that spot in more detail.

But people complain about their sense of aesthetics being hurt by examples like this. That growing mindset of ungratefulness makes me angry.

Agreed.

I had an argument with my father about the Maps. He was complaining that it was showing him other countries and states when he put in "4th and Main" as the search. When I asked him "what city and states" his response was "what do you mean? It should know."

WTF? How should it know what you were thinking? If you are too lazy to give it an accurate location, then it get what you get.

Heb 7:4

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2011
I thought Google had amazing maps that couldn't be topped?

Apple maps aren't bad because of comedy wiggly roads in 3D. They aren't bad because they don't have street view (as useful as that is). They aren't even bad because they have crap satellite imagery, much of it covered in clouds or suddenly becoming black and white.

No, Apple maps are bad because in much of the world you simply cannot trust them to get you where you want to go. They are seriously lacking in POI detail, and the detail that is there is often wrong. Towns with incorrect names, or placed miles away from where they should be. Hospitals bizarrely located in empty fields.

Google maps isn't perfect, but it is trustworthy in a way apple maps spectacularly isn't. That's the difference. That's what is important. And scouring google for minor issues to present them as some excuse for the massive flaws in apple maps won't make apple's screw up any better

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Agreed.

I had an argument with my father about the Maps. He was complaining that it was showing him other countries and states when he put in "4th and Main" as the search. When I asked him "what city and states" his response was "what do you mean? It should know."

WTF? How should it know what you were thinking? If you are too lazy to give it an accurate location, then it get what you get.

Actually it should know when you say "4th and Main". Normally it would just default to the closest location.

I just use Siri and mention two cross streets. Siri gave me the right location.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
Oh, you mean like this...?

Google too puts points of interest in the completely wrong place like in this example near my home town.

While I don't think Apple maps are perfect, they have never given me wrong directions in several months of usage, while I have had the experience of Google's maps directing me to the middle of nowhere more than once.

Yes.. Except it is not with just stores. Bodies of water were in the wrong place. Missing major streets, miss labeled major roads, high ways..
It is (was?) a really big issue for some key locations and landmarks.

But I'm with you. I have been using apple maps since the beta and have only had one bad direction which google also got wrong.
I love the Siri integration and I think it has the fastest rerouting I have ever seen.
Satelite view is nonexistent here, but I never used it that much any ways.
For me street view and Satelite view were worth while tradeoffs for Siri integration.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
I've submitted about 100 error corrections now and none of them have been fixed.

Same here, I've submitted about 50 or so corrections and none of them have been fixed. It means I'm no longer inclined to bother submitting corrections and therefore the Maps will suffer as a result if people engage with them less.

----------

The problem is, Google has a very nice search algorithm going on in their maps system which guesses (usually extremely accurately) what you mean if you anything less than totally explicit about where you want to find. Apple doesn't appear to have anywhere near this level of sophistication which makes it frustrating that you have to fully specify your search where Google made it easy.

Google at least had the sense to show you the closest match based on your location, even if you just typed in a street name.

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Same here, I've submitted about 50 or so corrections and none of them have been fixed. It means I'm no longer inclined to bother submitting corrections and therefore the Maps will suffer as a result if people engage with them less.

I'm sure they could setup a system that auto-corrects all error submissions.

Obviously getting employees to manually verify every error is not practical.

----------

As a fellow European, I believe Apple will probably work first on US errors first.

Well least the London Eye looks good!

I think they're all sent straight to the trash bin, the error report system to just there to give the illusion that we can help, but they would never actually trust us. ;)

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Wirelessly posted

My experience with Apple maps has been very positive. I'm not saying others have issues, but this has been a real upgrade for me.

I live in a large city and have a phone mount in my vehicle. Being able to use Siri and get turn by turn blows our previous options away. I've yet to have a single bad experience in terms of directions to a POI or address.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Well, where I am in Scotland entire villages are misplaced, POI's include businesses that haven't traded since going bankrupt or moving years ago, and many POI's are off but at least a block. Moreover, only one of the dozen or so errors I have submitted has been corrected.

It sounds to me like Apple is focusing on the US first. if so, then Apple risks alienating a lot of international customers. If Apple has all of this money that cannot be taken into the US for fear of taxes, then why not spend some of that money on improving the customer experience for non-US iOS users?

sneaky butcher

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
people from america: We get the message maps is not too bad for you. The rest of the world is a joke.

That is all, carry on

Kukulcan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
people from america: We get the message maps is not too bad for you. The rest of the world is a joke.
Actually germany is pretty good (not only TBT which I find flawless).

I already started to believe in the mantra "Apple Maps have no POIs" then today I looked for some for the first time. I checked the main street in the "downtown" of our small suburb with Google Maps and got a meager 8 POIs.

Then I had a look at Apple Maps and it came up with 18 POIs for the same street.

bristleworm

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
Germany

That is all, carry on

I live in Germany and Maps has been nothing but great for me. I haven't had a single problem with it and I started using it when the first beta was out and never looked back.

bigjobby

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2010
London, UK
I've reported a few things since it's implementation and nothing has updated as yet and I've virtually given up with trying to do my bit to improve accuracy and improve the product. The sooner they update Maps with user feedback, the better as others may give up too.

jaziCo

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2009
SoCal (Orange County)
Listen as far as the actual basic functioanlity (Finding places), it's right around AVG and only getting better... but the App as a whole.. its AWESOME.. I actually love it... I drove from Detroit to Chicago... and I couldent believe all the little things it does.. ex.. how its still fully functions as a navigator while the phone is locked.. or how the banner shows up when in another app.. and a bunch of other neat stuff here and there.. << In this regard it is astronimaically better than what the Stock Google.app was.. and fully understand why Apple made the switch.. they had too.. becuase of Googles lack of love on the iPhone.. iOS maps was way behind..

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Actually germany is pretty good (not only TBT which I find flawless).

I already started to believe in the mantra "Apple Maps have no POIs" then today I looked for some for the first time. I checked the main street in the "downtown" of our small suburb with Google Maps and got a meager 8 POIs.

Then I had a look at Apple Maps and it came up with 18 POIs for the same street.

Google Maps doesn't display all POI on the map. That's not the problem. The problem is that Apple Maps can't find anything that isn't a POI. And therefore business data is more than likely completely missing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.