Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Yes! man i really sold my iphone 5 because of the headphones jack placement and many other little annoyances like horrendous battery life , and i have tried everything from all the other posters sugested ,maybe my phone was one of the first with a bad battery , i dont know.

And to the horror of the crowd that wants the next iphone as thin as a piece of paper and with the same weight as a sheet of paper oh ! how can i say that , not enough weight in your hand to feel like something well made - annoyance , and for the gods sake Apple , why you could have not kept the same thickness as iphone 4s and added a thicker battery to get you trough a couple of days of Lte, i mean in my opinion iphone 4 feels perfect in your hand meaning weight and thickness of it.

The speed i liked when At&T was providing it , but for speed i already have my ipad Lte, and 4s is not that bad either.

So that's all folks! all my annoyances with the iphone 5 , which resulted in selling it and waiting for the next big iphone from Apple , and no i am not a troll , thats just my opinion and you can have a diferent one too thats the beauty of our great country.:D
Ok..... Seems like you need a bit of help if you know what I mean but sure, ok. Of course you'll be using your 4s for a long time as this is the new place for the hp jack.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
KVTJC.png

between the 4s and the 5 (with a backup 3gs in between the Nexus and the 5 release, ugh even jailbroken)

I think top has its perks, so does bottom.

For gym, top is better. And car possibly too depending on your mount but I just lay my phone down near the cup holders.

For listening to music with the phone in your pocket, bottom is more intuitive. The cable clutter at the bottom looks better too while charging and listening.

Either way, if I didn't like it I wouldn't go back to something else.

The main thing, only thing really, I miss about my 4S is that it was jailbroken.

Without my tweaks, my iPhone isn't "mine."

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Hello! I just want to vent against Apple , placing the headphones jack on the bottom , after having the iphone 5 for one month now like my title said i just got fedup with the headphones always sticking in my palm when i am listening to
whatever and trying to type something at the same time and sold it .
I know i am not the only one feeling this way , and the race to the " im the thinnest phone in the world " claim in detriment of the battery didnt help how i felt about the iphone5 either ,so i sold it and went back to my trusty iphone 4S.

Dont get me wrong , i have everithing Apple in the electronics dept. but this idiot placement in my view of the headphones jack made me sell my iphone 5 , and the size didnt feel so good in my hand either , compared to the iphone 4S .

In my case , i was so sick of that placement of the headphones jack that i will not buy another new iphone till they come back to ( normal in my view ) placement on top of the jack , ill stick with my trusty iphone 4S , the speed was good with the 5 dont get me wrong but the battery life nothing to write home about , in my case i tried everithing possible posted on this site and still didnt get to the battery life of the other posters even with a lot less use over the course of a day.

So i went back to the all day battery life ,the confortable to hold , and normal headphone placement of my iphone 4s .
Thats all folks , i am done with my rant , fell free to add to it if you had the same experience.
really? well good luck..most android phones these days also have headphone jack at the bottom of the device.

I particularly liked the bottom headphone jack placement, now whenever I try to take a picture with my phone, the headphone cord wont be in the way of the lens.

but honestly....this is how I feel about this post
NotSureIfSerious.png

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
OMFG THIS! OP are you being serious?

From your next post it appears you are. OP.... let me do this without getting in trouble.... It'll be tough because my 7 year old can figure this one out but I'll try. Take your 4s.... put it in your hand with your headphones..... now turn it! Now turn it back!! See, you can put the headphone jack on either side.... just like you can with the i5. You see that... do you?

to be fair u cant turn the iPhone 360 upside down unlike the iPad. not sure why apple disabled that.

are they afraid that people are so dumb that they r gonna hold their phone upside down trying to call someone? ^^

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
to be fair u cant turn the iPhone 360 upside down unlike the iPad. not sure why apple disabled that.

are they afraid that people are so dumb that they r gonna hold their phone upside down trying to call someone? ^^

Maybe they just didn't think anyone would actually want to hold their phone upside down. You can play temple run and subway surfers upside down iirc.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
I'll start using an iPhone when they move the headphone jack to the back, next to the camera.

/joke

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009

That's not the least bit true. When I turn my phone 360 degrees, everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING, works exactly the same as not turning it at all.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011

I think you mean 180 upside down.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now

OP clarified he/she meant while using the phone one handed. I still don't see why it's an issue unless OP is resting that specific corner in his/her palm but even then....

I am also sure that is probably why apple did this... sad but most likely true.

jettrue

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
That's not the least bit true. When I turn my phone 360 degrees, everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING, works exactly the same as not turning it at all.

Zing! You beat me to it! LOL

I will say I hold my phone in the same way as the OP, and my pinky hits the plug, but it never bothered me. Didn't think about it till I read it. Then again, I'm not using headphones that often.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Have any of you guys tryed typing something , while listening to the iphone5 , how does the cord on the bottom of your palm feel ,thats what i am talking about , when i was holding in my palm while surfing the web and listening to music the cord was bumping against my pinky finger and that was what was bothering me so much about the cord on the bottom setup.

Also for itsmemuffins , did you try to actualy do that , because i had try that and the screen didnt change the orientation uphside down , or i had a defective iphone 5 , it doesnt do that on my iphone 4s either , i dont know what you talking about , its a hidden setting or something to do that? to turn the screen upside down holding the phone vertical would have solved the problem for me , and i would have never sold it , in fact i was thinking of sugesting to one of the cydia developers to just create such an app ,i would pay for one like that to turn the orientation of the screen of the iphone 5 upside down.

Thank you ! all for your replys but it didnt work for me like that so ill just use my iphone 4s till they change ,if they do the headphone jack again.

They will not....so enjoy the 4S.

Anotoneher

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2011
The headphone jack on the bottom is my one gripe about the 5. Being left handed the cord sits right on my palm and I've sort of had to relearn how to hold the iphone one handed. Is it an annoyance? Yes. But not a reason to dump the phone.

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
i preferred when the jack was on the top. why? only because if I'm listening to music in bed at night and go to prop the phone up on my chest to change a song or look at the screen, now the cord is in the way, so i cant prop it on myself, lol.

i am not going to return the phone just because of that reason though!!

seriously:rolleyes:

stoneland

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
They may have placed it on the bottom for some arrangement/fit reasons. It may not have worked out on top with the iPhone 5's "redesign" and getting thinner.

On the bright side, they may place the jack back on top maybe with the next "redesign" or next, next "redesign". Although it is subjective, it probably looks better (functionality aside) on top so that the bottom looks much more symmetrical. And Apple is well-known for their symmetrical aspects.

The symmetrical thing bothered me at first (and still does :p). I don't think the bottom of the phone "looks good" because it's not balanced. I was kind of surprised that the leaks matched the final product because I didn't think Apple would actually sacrifice speaker/mic layout for the headphone jack. But whatever...it's not like I stare at the bottom of my phone :D

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Get a good bluetooth earphones with good reception and support the latest bluetooth standards.

Can't have wires when I go jogging with my iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.