Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RVdave

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
I'm not going to spend time answering questions when you didn't read where the author of the Forbes article himself admitted he was in error. I already explained where he did that, but you didn't read it.

For the record I have already confirmed it uses server-side processing. The voice recognition stops the very instant internet connectivity is lost--right in mid-sentence. Very easy to test: unplugged the wifi router's internet connection in the middle of speaking.

A cursory check of the apps's size shows it to be only 12.7 MB. After using for a few days there is another 14 MB in data (likely a cache of previous searches). There is no way--no possible way--this kind of voice recognition can be done in that amount of code. You need upwards of a gigabyte.

Finally, it's wise to not blindly accept an "article" just because it comes from Forbes. Only a little common sense is needed to come to the realization that the author is full of crap.

Michael

Save your keystrokes! In addition to not knowing what you're talking about, it's obvious you can't participate in a civil conversation without resorting to personal attacks. Goodbye

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Save your keystrokes! In addition to not knowing what you're talking about, it's obvious you can't participate in a civil conversation without resorting to personal attacks. Goodbye

I'll take that as your way of ducking away with your tail between your legs instead of just a simple, "guess I was wrong, thanks for clarifying." You must do great in real life debates. :confused:

By the way, where exactly was a personal attack? Yea, that's right, there wasn't one except when you sunk to that level. Pathetic.

Michael

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Very true. Most of the posts about it on this site seem to suggest so.

Not sorry (always stupid when people put "sorry")

And my experience, as is the case with the vast majority of users is that your statement is not true. Siri is quick. Siri is accurate. Siri works for me. Period. You can claim I'm incorrect, but I'm not.

MrMoore

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
Arlington Heights,IL
The Google Search is nice. The response on both my iPhone and iPad is great. The voice seem more natural, but it can't do all that Siri does.

What I find the most amusing is that I cannot get this Google Search on my Samsung Galaxy 2 7.0 which has ICS. :rolleyes:

Firework

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
Does google goggle work for you? For me (iPhone 5) it often lags so bad it's hard to take any pictures. Especially if there is not that much light around. Sometimes it runs quite smoothly though...

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
Does google goggle work for you? For me (iPhone 5) it often lags so bad it's hard to take any pictures. Especially if there is not that much light around. Sometimes it runs quite smoothly though...

Same with me. I think its because its still in beta.

Also it really sucks lol. I took a picture of a few things and I got the weirdest results lol. But very cool concept

Bezetos

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
far away from an Apple store
Ok, I'll bite.

"Who is brad pitt's wife"
G = showed me Angelina Jolie
S = offered to do a web search

(...)

"Who are will smith's sons" and "who is jaden smith's father"
G = gave me the answers
S = offered to search

(...)

"What is bill gates bacon number"
G = gave me the answer
S = web search
See? Google is better in these cases.

"Who is the story by of skyfall"
I assume you mean, who wrote the story of skyfall or who wrote the screenplay

G = didn't know what I was talking about
S= gave me the answer

"what is the education of ian fleming
G = I tried 5 times and it couldn't get the "Ian" part and kept searching for Fleming
S = web search

"Where is that museum with egyptian stuff nearby" (change egyptian stuff to whatever "stuff" your closes museum has)
G= gave me useless web searches
S = kept giving me a list of museums close by

This is entirely circumstantial. I got nice results when I used Google Search.

This just proves my point. For simple web searches, G is obviously superior in most cases. But for many other informational searches, Siri often offers better results.
Again, this is arguable, Siri rarely offers better results.

What I'm trying to say is that one cannot state that Siri often offers better results, because this can be easily disproved given the right examples.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
See? Google is better in these cases.

This is entirely circumstantial. I got nice results when I used Google Search.

Again, this is arguable, Siri rarely offers better results.

What I'm trying to say is that one cannot state that Siri often offers better results, because this can be easily disproved given the right examples.

You are entitled to your opinion of course, but in my use Siri is often better when it comes to queries that are not simply Google searches for information. By "often", i dont mean most of the time or 80% of the time. I would say roughly half of the time one is better than the other. The idea that Siri "rarely" offers better results is just nonsense. For the record, I didn't think up these questions ahead of time to try and stack the deck in Siri's favor. In fact, some of the searches you quoted my comments on were suggested by another poster who was arguing in favor of Google Voice search.

I think Google Voice search is great. I use it quite often. In fact, if i want to do a web search for information, i will use it every time.

simran12

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
Siri lets you use your voice to send messages, schedule meetings, place phone calls, and more.That shows we are living in innovative world where nothing is impossible in technology industry.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
Finally tried this out and I'm blown away with how quick and accurate it is. I'm constantly frustrated with Siri and her inability to understand what I'm saying (no accent either) or her limited results to my requests. The speed that Google comes back with quality results is amazing. If Siri can ever get to this point (given her ability to access iOS functions) then iOS may be back in business.

One HUGE advantage - the voice. Siri is still irritating enough that I'm loathed to use the function unless I REALLY need to. Google Now's voice is actually quite pleasant to listen to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.