Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:12 PM   #226
dampfnudel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugme71 View Post
Agreed. But Apple won't care. They'll get those people who couldn't upgrade to the iPhone 5 but can upgrade in 3 more months to the iPhone 5S - and so forth. Rather than the once a year cycle were if the iphone 5 was released 6 months ago and you know the iphone 5S is coming out in 6 months, you'll wait. So Apple gets a sale 6 months sooner.
What you say makes a lot of sense. I also have this feeling that the iPhone 5 is a transitional form and we might get a redesigned iPhone 6 or 7 if Apple decides to call the 7th gen iPhone that, imagine 7th gen, iOS 7 , A7 - lucky 777. Maybe they can ship them on FedEx B777 freighters.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:17 PM   #227
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

This is the correct move, because Samsung will release the S4 in early 2013.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:27 PM   #228
a0me
macrumors 6502a

I've been putting off buying an iPhone 5 to replace my iPhone 4, waiting for Google Maps to be back. Now I guess I'll wait until the iPhone 5S is released this spring, hoping that Apple has ironed out the hardware and software problems with the iPhone 5...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:43 PM   #229
maccompatible
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS82712 View Post
stopped reading at 'Digitimes reports'
I bet you really didn't.
maccompatible is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:02 PM   #230
michaeljohn
Banned

I am willing to bet this is how its going to go down. The 5s is going to be a bigger iPhone, perhaps a 5 inch 720p display, and come out in the summer. Then the iphone 6 will come out in fall as usual with the same 4 inch screen. Anyone who thinks Apple will never release a larger iPhone are probably the ones who said they will never release a smaller iPad. Only a matter of time...
michaeljohn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:16 PM   #231
John Adams
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRE View Post
I think they have no choise as Samsung, Google and Amazon (and the rest) is bringing new phones and tables into the arena on a weekly basis. The one-year cycle is not working anymnore today
Not only that, but this "one phone fits all" mentality has got to stop. Does a car-maker make just one car? Samsung is kicking Apple's butt right now and they, Apple, know it. They have to change their strategy. Different people want different phones. Apple makes many different computers, different iPods and now different iPads so lets see a few different iPhones.

So many people would buy an iPhone if it were just BIGGER. 4.8" phones sell like freaking crazy. Come on Apple!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljohn View Post
Anyone who thinks Apple will never release a larger iPhone are probably the ones who said they will never release a smaller iPad. Only a matter of time...
But they are waiting way too long.
John Adams is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:20 PM   #232
michaeljohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Adams View Post
Samsung is kicking Apple's butt right now and they, Apple, know it.
I wouldnt go that far. They sell more total units, but they have what? 20 phones? Apple has one and it outsells any individual Samsung phone and by a mile.
michaeljohn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:33 PM   #233
soldierblue
macrumors 6502

Too soon man, too soon.
soldierblue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:55 PM   #234
John Adams
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljohn View Post
I wouldnt go that far. They sell more total units, but they have what? 20 phones? Apple has one and it outsells any individual Samsung phone and by a mile.
How many total phones does Samsung sell?

How many total phones does Apple sell?

That's all that matters.
John Adams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:00 PM   #235
tjl3
macrumors 6502a

My opinion, but in my mind a mid-summer iPhone release makes the most sense. It captures a large market of consumers who will be going to school in the fall with a newly released phone.

I was surprised (not really w/ the news around Ivy Bridge delays) that Apple got away from their winter Mac release and fall spec bump. This release makes a lot of sense b/c like the above, they can sell off their product at the end of their life to consumers going to school and refresh a month or so later.

With the current schedule, it was like a punch in the face having so many products get released simultaneously. As a consumer invested in the Apple ecosystem, it's easy to be drawn to all of the iOS devices. But the consumer, in my opinion, is less likely to purchase multiple devices on the same life cycle.
tjl3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:41 PM   #236
Rad99004
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
What could they realistically introduce with the next iPhone? There's no way they could 2X the CPU right now, or make many major enhancements. I'm doubting this rumor.
A "Wider" screen

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post
This is the correct move, because Samsung will release the S4 in early 2013.
Apple is in scramble mode and needs to be. I predict some lowering of prices and 2X yearly refreshes.
Rad99004 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:09 AM   #237
HarryWild
macrumors regular

Hope Apple brings back the glass back in the 5S. I hate the painted aluminium back in the 5. That one of the reasons for me hesitating on purchasing the 5. But with a glass back in the 5S; it would look like the 4 but with better looks all around.

Hope Apple gets smart and does the change!

I would like to have the next generation processor in it too - the A7! But I do not think they will do it until the 6 in 2014!
HarryWild is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:21 AM   #238
Ieo
macrumors regular

Lol, I have to admit, part of me thought "GOOD! Now everybody else will feel the pain us iPad 3 owners are feeling!"
Ieo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:59 AM   #239
irDigital0l

A7 chip
NFC
10MP iSight camera
Better Siri
Better Maps
Updated UI
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:38 AM   #240
lazard
macrumors 6502a

not surprised considering Samsung is rumored to be revealing the S4 at CES.
lazard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:51 AM   #241
MuppetGate
macrumors regular

Quote:

That's all that matters.
What matters, at the end of the day, is which strategy brings in the most profit. Seventy per cent of the profits in the smartphone market go to Apple. Now, they could sell twice as many phones by halving the price, but I'm not sure that would be the smartest move.

Last edited by MuppetGate; Nov 20, 2012 at 01:59 AM.
MuppetGate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:11 AM   #242
H2SO4
macrumors 65816

Quote:

That's all that matters.
No it doesn't. It doesn't fit their current business model and that's that. They are presently a premium hardware/software manufacturer/vendor.

Rolls Royce would sell more cars if they were cheaper but they won't reduce the price. Where they are in the market and the money they make is in the area they want to be, just like Apple, (for now).
H2SO4 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:06 AM   #243
photographypro
macrumors regular

Of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
ok. So if I use an upgrade from a phone on my account, can i transfer the my current number to the discounted phone?
You've always been able to do that.
photographypro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:26 AM   #244
Tar Sniffer
macrumors 6502

So can we expect iOS 7 to be unveiled alongside 10.9 in early 2013?

Last edited by Tar Sniffer; Nov 20, 2012 at 05:03 AM.
Tar Sniffer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:06 AM   #245
japanime
macrumors 65816

I like the sound of this rumor. I try to get three years out of my gadgets, and intend to continue using my iPhone 4 until the release of the next model (be it a 5s or a 6). Would love to be able to upgrade in July.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:26 AM   #246
Jibbajabba
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrkactjob View Post
....the slow dawn of realisation that I will be buying and updating Apple products for the rest of my life....
I either need your job or credit card limit :/

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWild View Post
Hope Apple gets smart and does the change!
Smart ? You sound like no one likes the back of the IP5
Jibbajabba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:27 AM   #247
JGRE
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftaok View Post
Assuming that you're in the US and you are on one of the standard carriers on a typical plan ... it makes no sense to not be under a contract.* You're still paying the same monthly rate whether or not you're under contract.

At the very least, upgrade to a new 4S for $0, get the upgrade fee waived and you'll have a spare iPhone to keep.

* - doesn't apply if you're on some weird plan or are looking to jump from your current provider.
No, I am living in the Netherlands om going to change to a sim-only contract (original contract expires this week) which is less than have the cost with a bigger bundel.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:30 AM   #248
mantan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
No it doesn't. It doesn't fit their current business model and that's that. They are presently a premium hardware/software manufacturer/vendor.

Rolls Royce would sell more cars if they were cheaper but they won't reduce the price. Where they are in the market and the money they make is in the area they want to be, just like Apple, (for now).
The bigger issue for Apple is sustainable sales.

The iPhone market has become saturated...especially since they moved to all carriers, implemented a free on contract/$99 device and have even extended their reach to discount carrriers.

It's not a Rolls Royce. It's essentially a mainstream highly sedan that the overwhelming majority (of US customers) have to finance (subsidize) to afford.

They have to make sure they release a compelling product...or heck at least one they can bring to market in a reasonable time for the 4S folks rolling off contract next month.

Personally I think there is a bit of a smartphone/tablet bubble looming. Current smartphones are light, fast, have fast enough broadband connections for streaming HD video, have excellent HD video cameras built in.....what's the next hook to really pull a critical mass of customers? Or will incremental spec bumps and software changes be enough.
mantan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:31 AM   #249
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

The FUD is strong in this rumour
everything-i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:32 AM   #250
JGRE
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
Do you realize you are subjecting yourself to the possibility of being ostracized by Apple ?
I'll take that risk. I will buy a new iPhone if there are sufficient improvements to it that make it worthwhile to spend that kind of money. Comparing the last 3 iPhones, they are pretty similar to me.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion