Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:08 AM   #26
Dc2006ster
macrumors member

Playing mkv files

I also have a 1st gen Apple TV (enhanced with ATVflash) and could not play mkv files. I tried Handbrake, Visual Hub, Subler etc and had mixed success. I tried using my laptop connected to the TV and that worked, I also connected my ipad to the tv and used AVplayerHD to play the mkv files. This also worked. Both these methods work but are a bit of a nuisance to set up and use.

Then , last week I got a new DLNA compliant TV (Sony EX645 series ) which plays mkv files. Now I can either load the mkv files onto a USB key ( or external USB hard drive ), connect the key to the TV and the files play and look great. Or I can use EyeConnect to turn my Mac into a media server and stream mkv files directly from the Mac to the TV where again they play beautifully. The TV can also, play music and show photos using these methods.

I had been waiting for Firecore to break the Apple TV 3 but now that is not necessary. I do not need an AppleTV. The interface on the Sony is not up to Apple standards but it works. so check your TV manual, you may be able to use this method.

I think some blueray players can also play mkv files from a USB key.

Edit: I now use an external hard drive instead of a USB key. A local dealer had a good price on a 128 gig SSD and this works very well. I connect the SSD to my Mac, load it with mkvs, then connect the SSD to the TV. For the streaming option I find the PS3mediaserver works better than Eyeconnect.

Last edited by Dc2006ster; Nov 19, 2012 at 09:25 AM.
Dc2006ster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:24 AM   #27
JMEANS
macrumors regular

Thank you Dc but ironically the point of owning my ATV2 is for the convenience and its organization. I like to collect the files not copy and paste Zip drives over and over because for me I might as well just insert the DVD. Thank you for the tip, my Sony tv is a few years old anyway.
ironically I have ripped half my Bluray collection so far with MAKEMKV, Handbreak, SUBLER and have had great success with the formula in regards to ATV playback. It's just the downloaded MKV files that have already been formulated to a size of 3-6gigs that quality wise are amazing that I cannot mirror in a m4v container.
JMEANS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:47 PM   #28
OmegaRed1723
macrumors 6502

At what point are you getting a red stop sign using Subler? Are you able to open a .mkv in the program and see the video and audio tracks?
OmegaRed1723 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:23 AM   #29
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEANS View Post
It's just the downloaded MKV files that have already been formulated to a size of 3-6gigs that quality wise are amazing that I cannot mirror in a m4v container.
"Scene" MKV's generally all have H.264 video - even ones made from VC-1 discs. In addition, they tend to have either AC-3 or DTS audio (but not the original BD HD, if any or the dumbed-down AAC) and 3GPP (textual) subs. Some also have additional embedded font files (which shouldn't make them incompatible with Subler) and info files from the release group (Subler-compliant too).

Could you cut out a, say, the first 100 Mbyte section of the incompatible MKV's and, after testing whether it doesn't work, upload it to Dropbox (or anywhere) for us to test? I've posted some tutorials on cutting MKV's here at MR; I can post a link to them.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 04:04 AM   #30
liquidtwitch
macrumors newbie

I use streamtome to transcode content from my media server via my ipad or iphone to the apple tv in the bedroom, works amazingly well - even handles 1080 stuff fine. I've been looking for a media serving solution for years and this is the best one I've had so far.

http://projectswithlove.com/streamtome/
liquidtwitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 04:08 AM   #31
zen
macrumors 65816

I also recommend Subler. It remuxes to m4v with no encoding/transcoding. Takes seconds to covert. The m4v files stream perfectly to my new Apple TV (via iTunes).

Subler is free and super easy to use.
zen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:14 AM   #32
JMEANS
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaRed1723 View Post
At what point are you getting a red stop sign using Subler? Are you able to open a .mkv in the program and see the video and audio tracks?
Yes I can load one and see the h.264 VIDEO Track and Ac3 surround AUDIO track. I check each dont add any metedata and send it to the QUE window hit start and then the RED STOP instantly comes up ?!
Old Nov 1, 2012, 04:18 PM   #33
OmegaRed1723
macrumors 6502

Hmm, that's strange. You would encounter the stop sign if your video was mpeg2 instead of h.264, but you said that you see the video file with h.264 format. When you add the file to the queue, do you have 64 bit chunk box checked? Try that, as it's required for output files greater than 4GB. if that doesn't work, I'd triple check that the codec on your file is truly h.264.
OmegaRed1723 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:17 AM   #34
JMEANS
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaRed1723 View Post
Hmm, that's strange. You would encounter the stop sign if your video was mpeg2 instead of h.264, but you said that you see the video file with h.264 format. When you add the file to the queue, do you have 64 bit chunk box checked? Try that, as it's required for output files greater than 4GB. if that doesn't work, I'd triple check that the codec on your file is truly h.264.
Thanks Omega! I know the files are bigger than 4g so that could be it?! I will try today thanks!
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:40 PM   #35
wildparadox
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEANS View Post
Thanks Omega! I know the files are bigger than 4g so that could be it?! I will try today thanks!
I don't know if you're still having this problem, but I found this forum while working on the same problem and now have a solution.

If you are running Mountain Lion, your issue may have to do with an error in the A52 audio component. On Subler's repository they posted a link to a solution here. It's a patched version of the A52Codec.component.

I was having the red stop-sign issue on a 16GB file and after replacing this component file and restarting Subler, everything ran perfectly.
wildparadox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:19 PM   #36
bushido
macrumors 601

i used to think the Apple TV was useless to me as i only have avi and mkv and i honestly couldnt be bothered with converting everything which would have taken forever

but then i came across "muxing" and the iFlicks app and 5 hours later i owned an apple tv. only takes like 5 minutes to turn a 12 GB mkv into an itunes supported format with perfect metatags

also managed to get netflix working from germany thx to an us buddy allowing me to use his paypal ^^

now my wd digital live box basically just sits here collecting dust
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:07 PM   #37
chiefpavvy
macrumors 6502a

Yes iFlicks or iVI are great.
chiefpavvy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:57 AM   #38
Mr.Bullitt
macrumors regular

Has anyone created a Conf file for Playstation media server that will work with Apple TV 3????
Mr.Bullitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:54 AM   #39
DustinT
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
i used to think the Apple TV was useless to me as i only have avi and mkv and i honestly couldnt be bothered with converting everything which would have taken forever

but then i came across "muxing" and the iFlicks app and 5 hours later i owned an apple tv. only takes like 5 minutes to turn a 12 GB mkv into an itunes supported format with perfect metatags

also managed to get netflix working from germany thx to an us buddy allowing me to use his paypal ^^

now my wd digital live box basically just sits here collecting dust
Yup, iFlicks is amazing. I've got it setup with some Apple scripts and it's doing wonderful things automatically.

My townhouse could pass for a well stocked Apple store.
DustinT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:15 AM   #40
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpavvy View Post
Yes iFlicks or iVI are great.
Still, anyone into MKV remuxing should give a try to Subler and (strictly) the beta version of MP4Tools instead. They're 3-5 times faster than both iFlicks and iVI (I've tested the latest versions), particularly if you try to remux MKV's with preserving more than a few subtitle tracks. The latter will slow down iVI to a crawl. Besides, Subler is free and MP4Tools is $5 only and both can be used in batch mode.

I've very thoroughly tested all these apps and written several reviews of them. I can copy them here so that I can back up the figures I mentioned in the post.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:47 AM   #41
JGRE
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
Still, anyone into MKV remuxing should give a try to Subler and (strictly) the beta version of MP4Tools instead. They're 3-5 times faster than both iFlicks and iVI (I've tested the latest versions), particularly if you try to remux MKV's with preserving more than a few subtitle tracks. The latter will slow down iVI to a crawl. Besides, Subler is free and MP4Tools is $5 only and both can be used in batch mode.
I have been using iVI which gives a perfect quality but is extreemly slow (12 GB MKV takes op to 12 hours using 2 pass conversion). I have taken a look at MP4tools, but it seems less userfriendly to me as it doesn't add any extra info to the movie and no picture, neither does it automatically place it within iTunes.
I couldn't find any ATV3 specific setiing as with iVI.

Any thoughts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:25 AM   #42
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRE View Post
I have been using iVI which gives a perfect quality but is extreemly slow (12 GB MKV takes op to 12 hours using 2 pass conversion). I have taken a look at MP4tools, but it seems less userfriendly to me as it doesn't add any extra info to the movie and no picture, neither does it automatically place it within iTunes.
I couldn't find any ATV3 specific setiing as with iVI.

Any thoughts
MP4tools has a steep learning curve but it's an EXCELLENT and very powerful conversion tool with a lot of extra features not present in other converters / remuxers. And, as has been stated by me, the beta is at least three times faster than iVi / iFlicks.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:33 AM   #43
sim667
macrumors 6502a

I jailbroke to play MKV's using plex, but it was buggy, so now I just airplay them from plex on my ipad.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:31 PM   #44
HacKage
macrumors regular

Another recommendation for iFlicks, perfect for what I need it to do. Converts the video to m4v quickly, adds an AC3 channel if need be and then adds it to my iTunes library on my NAS ready for the ATV to pick it up. Great app and well worth the money
HacKage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 09:12 AM   #45
Apostata
macrumors newbie

I have to say the iFlicks would be my choice...if it weren't for the fact that it doesn't read subtitles. They say it does/can, but I have yet to have it work.
Apostata is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 11:38 AM   #46
dnjmarlboro
macrumors member

Just install the Plex Server and the new Plexconnect and have fun with MKVs and ATV3 :-)
dnjmarlboro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 01:22 AM   #47
spacepower7
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostata View Post
I have to say the iFlicks would be my choice...if it weren't for the fact that it doesn't read subtitles. They say it does/can, but I have yet to have it work.
Actually iFlicks does subtitles well, you just have to read the instructions on how to name them and where they should be located directory wise.

I use almost all the apps dealing with MKV files and each work better in different situations.
spacepower7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater