Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:54 AM   #51
Dreamer2go
macrumors 6502

I love Airplay.
I use this to stream my music from my macbook pro/iphone/ipad to my speakers (connected to airport express) I hated my Samsung Galaxy SIII coz it couldn't do that....

I guess that means I'm really tied up to Apple's ecosystem =P

Nonetheless, it'll be cool to see what Google does.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:54 AM   #52
shardey
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by landroverz7 View Post
Google first update your youtube app and make it a universal app with support for iPhone 5 widescreen and ipad retina screens also fix the airplay and add background audio. After that you can think about your google devices.
Maybe if Apple went with a standard resolution then it wouldn't be so bad. Be happy Google even programs anything for Apple anymore, considering the bold move of leaving Google Maps contract 1 year early for the incredible Apple "Maps".

Competition is always good.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:54 AM   #53
mentaluproar
macrumors 65816

Great! This should completely crush apple's hold on this aspect of the tech industry, like WebM did with h264!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:58 AM   #54
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post
Another me-too product from Google that's "open", who is driving innovation?
I didn't knew that Airplay supported bidirectional flow of data that is not media
Oletros is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:06 AM   #55
mentaluproar
macrumors 65816

I cant see any point in having my TV send anything to my iPad. Airplay is meant for sending only and there is a reason for that. Televisions and speakers are output-only devices. iTunes can already share with other iTunes users. Airdrop makes throwing files around nearby very easy.

This is just a way for them to claim to be clever. "Look, I made something with no purpose!"
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:12 AM   #56
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentaluproar View Post
I cant see any point in having my TV send anything to my iPad.
That you can't see any point doesn't means that it has no point, only that you don't see a point. And it is not only for TV's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentaluproar View Post
This is just a way for them to claim to be clever. "Look, I made something with no purpose!"
No, this is just a way for you to bash something that has not been made by Apple.
Oletros is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:16 AM   #57
Solomani
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffy View Post
But, for the love of the children, why? There's a frikkin' standard already, why not use it? Or are Google as self-obsessed and retarded as Apple?
They all want to be LIKE Apple, duh. They all want to be like Apple in being in control of both hardware and software. They all want to (subconsciously, and without realizing it) migrate towards a walled-garden control of their users. They all want to be like Apple in being in control of THEIR OWN (proprietary) 'standards' which are not enslaved/dependent/at-the-mercy to another rival company's 'standards'.

Look what happened to Microsoft. Once upon a time, it was the universal freewheeling software licensor to the PC world, and had left its hardware manufacturers alone without competing with them. Today? Microsoft is not shy in designing and selling its own hardware under its own brand and directly competing against its.... hardware partners (that also license Windows/WinMobile software). MS aped the Apple Modus Operandi.... intentionally or not, tho they probably are doing it to stay in the game.
Solomani is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:28 AM   #58
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

For a company that allegedly doesn't innovate, it's amazing how everyone is making something like an iPhone, something like an iPad, something like a Mac Book, something like an iMac, something like a Mac Mini, and now something like Apple TV with Airplay.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:28 AM   #59
MrWillie
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
Does any device apart of Apple's have Airplay?
There are some receiving devices, but why would you want a transmitting device that wasn't Apple ???
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:29 AM   #60
haravikk
macrumors 65816

Apple really ought to open-source AirPlay; they've had their period of exclusivity, but anything that encourages wider adoption, which open-sourcing should do, can only benefit the consumer and give iOS devices more things that they can just go ahead and work with.

I really don't want to see two new competing wireless technologies for something that is supposed to be effortless; I've had my years of headaches with networking, I don't need yet another technology with constant compatibility issues.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:36 AM   #61
The Phazer
macrumors 68020

DNLA is awful, and needs replacing.

But I'm not confident this is it (neither is AirPlay, being proprietary and having absolutely hopeless security).
The Phazer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:40 AM   #62
rei101
macrumors 6502a

I like Tangled.

I believe all healthy girls behave like that.
rei101 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:41 AM   #63
AppleInTheMud
macrumors regular

I have an Apple TV in the livingroom and a Samsung Smart TV in the bedroom.

Love my Apple TV no doubt about that, but would love a TV with the AppleTV build in, like my Samsung Smart TV has (Samsungs Version)

AppleTV.:
Love that little tiny box. Even my mother has one and knows how to use it.

Samsung SmartTV.:
Like it because it has more possibilitys. More apps. In Denmark Netflix is new and has little content. We have Viaplay with danish shows and the Samsung has an app for that... And many more.

But even with all the ekstra features in the Samsung TV (and that it reacts to your hand like xbox kinect and has a full keyboadrd with trackpad) I kind of like the AppleTVs simplicity.

But did I have to choose.... Hard.
AppleInTheMud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:48 AM   #64
steve119
macrumors 6502

Why would apple open up their airplay system to allow other devices to work on it?

That would mean they would lose money by allowing so, they don't make as much profit on Apple TV as they do on other devices so not going to happen.
steve119 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:58 AM   #65
mentaluproar
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by haravikk View Post
Apple really ought to open-source AirPlay; they've had their period of exclusivity, but anything that encourages wider adoption, which open-sourcing should do, can only benefit the consumer and give iOS devices more things that they can just go ahead and work with.

I really don't want to see two new competing wireless technologies for something that is supposed to be effortless; I've had my years of headaches with networking, I don't need yet another technology with constant compatibility issues.
I really like this idea! They can keep things as easy to use as they want on their devices, and if another device, like a windows phone, has a ****** implementation of it, then it doesn't hurt apples image at all. Airplay is fairly mature and wont likely see any major revisions at this point, so they might as well let others in.

It isn't like Apple doesn't understand this concept. They did it with ALAC (far too late though) and with webkit. Hell, webkit really took off too! Airplay has that same potential.