Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Does those system processes relate to the dropped wifi when turning on from sleep?

Normally not - they refer to bugs in Apple's security framework (sandboxing of applications) and Spotlight search processes; they have led to wake-from-sleep issues in my case, where the computer wakes up to a black screen (thus requiring a hard boot).

ObeseSquirrel

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2011
I've been having a problem where my computer has been randomly losing the ability to read and write to disk. Keychain access fails (asking me to reenter my passwords, which I won't do), files won't save, and apps won't open.

Booting into safe mode and resetting PRAM fixes this, but it's happened three times already since 10.8.2.

EDIT: Disk Utility finds nothing.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I never had/noticed the pixelated icon bug but since 10.8.3 I have developed a few new ones.

On '11 Mac Mini, upon boot up screen goes solid white with cursor.
-I can still access shared files on the mini you just can not see anything but a solid white screen and cursor.

On '12 MacBook Air 13", upon wake from sleep the dock is drawn in black, Safari is drawn in black except where there are words. the "Apple" in the menu bar disappears but you can still click on it to show the menu.
All drop-down menus in Safari are blacked out.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I never had/noticed the pixelated icon bug but since 10.8.3 I have developed a few new ones.

On '11 Mac Mini, upon boot up screen goes solid white with cursor.
-I can still access shared files on the mini you just can not see anything but a solid white screen and cursor.

On '12 MacBook Air 13", upon wake from sleep the dock is drawn in black, Safari is drawn in black except where there are words. the "Apple" in the menu bar disappears but you can still click on it to show the menu.
All drop-down menus in Safari are blacked out.
Both of those are GPU driver bugs, that I'm almost certain of. The second one sounds much worse than the first one. My advice to you is to collect logs from around the time you first noticed these events, zip them up, and submit 2 bug reports to Apple with the information you've collected.

Wait, It's normal?
Yes. One of the things putting ANY Mac to sleep does is shut down any active network connections - both wired and wireless. This means that any network operations in progress when the Mac goes to sleep will be interrupted. A well-designed program will react to the signal the Mac sends to all running programs when sleep is triggered (probably called HWSLEEP) and suspend any active downloads in progress.

Last edited:

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Both of those are GPU driver bugs, that I'm almost certain of. The second one sounds much worse than the first one. My advice to you is to collect logs from around the time you first noticed these events, zip them up, and submit 2 bug reports to Apple with the information you've collected.

In the process of submitting them again, I tried 3 times yesterday and when I went to submit the info, the logs and the screenshots there were errors on Apple's end and asked to resubmit. Which made it more frustrating.

I am going to try to format the Mac Mini tomorrow and reinstall 10.8.3 to see if this fixes the problem or not...after hopefully successfully submitting the bugs to Apple in the morning.

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Hopefully it will fix these bugs (some of which I sent to Bug Reporter):

-Memory Leaks in certain Nvidia GPU's

-Green button zooming in the finder "Icons" view not correctly resizing

-Slow shutdown caused by "appleeventsd" hanging for 20 seconds before being terminated.

-battery life (has gradually improved since 10.8.0)

-User Interface performance. Especially with Mission Control and desktop switching. (Lion improved over its iterations, hopefully Mountain Lion does the same)

-Not permanently saving custom folders in the "Desktop & Screensaver" section in System Preferences

-QuicklookSatellite process eating %150+ CPU time when trying to generate thumbnails for certain media files. Related to sandboxing. Workaround is here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1463364/

-Re-enable the ability to use a laptop with the internal display de-activated when connected to a monitor. Currently one needs to place a magnet in a certain spot to trick the computer into thinking the lid is closed.
This command "sudo nvram boot-args="iog=0x0" no longer works in 10.8.2 .

Edit

-Launch Services constantly creating duplicate entries in "Open With" when working with multiple Mac OS partitions

-Spotlight privacy settings affecting other install partitions. This bug began in 10.7 for me.

I'm definitely relieved knowing that I'm not the only one having Memory leak issues with my Nvidia 320M on MBP 2010. This issue really gets annoying when I have GPU acceleration enabled in Chrome (to allow supersmooth scrolling like Safari). It ends up using several Gigs of memory for no reason and next thing you know is the OS starts paging out. Then things become really slow!

Hopefully all of you are reporting to http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Thanks.

AndersBrohus

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2012
Denmark!
10.8.3 has given me an unstable Mac, so i hope they update it soon! :p But i don't see any pixelated icons on my Retina MacBook, so im not sure if it just me that don't think 10.8.3 is good in it's current state, but hey it is a beta...

But 10.8.1 and 10.8.2 beta's have given me a stable and nearly lag/lagg free Mac, so i was hoping for the same here... :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.