Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Ok but can you combine text messages with whats app, i.e. you have friends with old phones, and so you can send messages combined with whatsapp?

My argument evolves around ease of sending a message to both sets of users without switching from app to app and typing the same message?:confused:

Can you send text messages via the cell network and/or through WhatsApp's network - no. You need the App.

There are pluses and minus to iMessage. For me - and a lot of users - the benefits of WhatsApp outweigh the benefits of iMessage. Your use case is obviously different. But that doesn't negate the fact that open standards is a better solution because it's cross-platform.

Do you really want to argue that iMessage is the BEST solution?

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
Google first update your youtube app and make it a universal app with support for iPhone 5 widescreen and ipad retina screens also fix the airplay and add background audio. After that you can think about your google devices.

Just use Jasmine :) (i know it doesn't give you all, but it's better than YouTube app)
is has background audio

Last edited:

steve119

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2012
Scotland, land of the haggis
Can you send text messages via the cell network and/or through WhatsApp's network - no. You need the App.

There are pluses and minus to iMessage. For me - and a lot of users - the benefits of WhatsApp outweigh the benefits of iMessage. Your use case is obviously different. But that doesn't negate the fact that open standards is a better solution because it's cross-platform.

Do you really want to argue that iMessage is the BEST solution?

As I've said Apple wont standardise iMessage, they would rather have folk buy their own products to use it.

Its not so much a case of arguing its the best solution, and yes I totally get its a great idea for getting your messages/media across with, but it doesn't seem to be as seemless as iMessage...and the fact that I get imessage free with the iphone as to assume that after I've paid for whatsapp, then I have to hope the majority of my friends have whatsapp on their phones, whereas imessage takes care of that problem for me.

For example, I think my Mum and Dad would struggle more with whatsapp than iMessage.

Its maybe the best solution for you...but not for me.:eek:

Last edited:

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
This makes no sense, if you are going to develop your own standard, for differentiation from the completion, then fine but if its going to be an open standard for anyone to use then why not use the one already there and develop some enhancements to it that can be added to that standard. Seems like some kind of self promotion rather than anything else.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Fair enough.

Everyone I know (my use case) has WhatsApp and/or can easily get it and are happy when they know about it.

Apple prides itself on simplicity and taking "concerns" out of the hands of its users. The whole "it just works" idea (which is, of course, hyperbole).

And that's well and good if you or the person you're texting has a plan that doesn't nickel and dime you for texts (and/or you both have Apple devices).

The argument (the original argument) is about open standards. Apple doesn't have them with iMessage. That's why a cross platform solution such as WhatsApp has been incredibly popular.

I simply don't want to concern myself with what phone the person on the other end has. And I shouldn't have to. For me - WhatsApp "just works."

I'll also add - that iMessage will not send a message to a non-Apple device if it's in an area without 3G or LTE. Correct? IE - if you're ONLY on wifi.

There are times I might be overseas and want to send a message or receive messages and have access to wifi but don't want to have my radio on. If I'm on a non-iPhone device - I'll never get the text.

Now all that being said - there's always email. Which since, honestly, everyone I know has it on their phone, I can always email - and trumps everything else ;)

steve119

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2012
Fair enough.

Everyone I know (my use case) has WhatsApp and/or can easily get it and are happy when they know about it.

Apple prides itself on simplicity and taking "concerns" out of the hands of its users. The whole "it just works" idea (which is, of course, hyperbole).

And that's well and good if you or the person you're texting has a plan that doesn't nickel and dime you for texts (and/or you both have Apple devices).

The argument (the original argument) is about open standards. Apple doesn't have them with iMessage. That's why a cross platform solution such as WhatsApp has been incredibly popular.

I simply don't want to concern myself with what phone the person on the other end has. And I shouldn't have to. For me - WhatsApp "just works."

I'll also add - that iMessage will not send a message to a non-Apple device if it's in an area without 3G or LTE. Correct? IE - if you're ONLY on wifi.

There are times I might be overseas and want to send a message or receive messages and have access to wifi but don't want to have my radio on. If I'm on a non-iPhone device - I'll never get the text.

Now all that being said - there's always email. Which since, honestly, everyone I know has it on their phone, I can always email - and trumps everything else ;)

The last bit finally we can both agree on!!:D

BayouTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
New Orleans
Another "breakthrough" for Google. Jeez, do they have anyone actually employed on the design side? They should change their name to Gocopy.

I used to like both Google and Samsung, but they have sure devolved into the worst pariah's in the industry.

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
And 6 months later, there will be announcements of MicrosoftTV, AmazonTV, and GangnamStyleTV (the Samsung version). :D

The Microsoft TV has been out for years and is the most successful of all.

You might have heard of it, it's called the Xbox 360, too bad MS doesn't realize what it already has what both Apple and Google want.

steve119

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2012
Another "breakthrough" for Google. Jeez, do they have anyone actually employed on the design side? They should change their name to Gocopy.

I used to like both Google and Samsung, but they have sure devolved into the worst pariah's in the industry.

Meh, I would personally go easy on samsung, I think there are right and wrongs on both sides to be fair.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
I personally use AirPlay multiple times daily for music to my Apple TV and airport express as well as video to my appletv. It is one of my favorite features of iOS, and it easily trounces anything available for android to date. The way I look at it is that my phone is intended to be mobile and to be ready to be used in cases where a phone call, text message, etc. come through. Having the phone tethered to a TV or speaker while I'm walking around the apartment limits that mobility. And it doesn't really bother me that it's limited to iOS; they have a good thing working for them, no need to open it up. A tethered HDMI option with adapter is available for anyone who prefers a standardized method (not knocking it; just saying it's a valid option for people as long as that wireless connection isn't as important to them).

calev

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2010
Apple starts to gain a foot hold, Google releases free alternative to loosen foot hold. This is becoming a pattern.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

And exactly what have they copied?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I personally use AirPlay multiple times daily for music to my Apple TV and airport express as well as video to my appletv. It is one of my favorite features of iOS, and it easily trounces anything available for android to date. The way I look at it is that my phone is intended to be mobile and to be ready to be used in cases where a phone call, text message, etc. come through. Having the phone tethered to a TV or speaker while I'm walking around the apartment limits that mobility. And it doesn't really bother me that it's limited to iOS; they have a good thing working for them, no need to open it up. A tethered HDMI option with adapter is available for anyone who prefers a standardized method (not knocking it; just saying it's a valid option for people as long as that wireless connection isn't as important to them).

I love my Apple TVs (I have two) and my iPad and iPhone.

However I'd be happier if AppleTV (and iDevices) played back/streamed more codecs.

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
Yeah Right

It doesn't matter what cool features are "possible"...if the devices are in consumers homes nobody will bother to write code to utilize those cool new possibilities.

Also, current programmers can barely take advantage of the one-way streaming of Airplay much less anything more complicated. Has anyone noticed that the iPad apps for NBC, CW, ABC, etc all "support Airplay" but the implementation doesn't work right in any of them! Either it won't stream full-screen or it'll start but then go to audio-only after an ad displays, or it'll get stuck in a loop of endless ads. Come'on people let's get it together!

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
A good open standard is needed. When I upgrade my TV in the coming years, I will want a unit capable interacting with any platform. For example, I want all of my friends. not only the "special-ones" with Apple devices, to share something on my TV, if they want. It will NOT be Apple TV, because, knowing Apple, it will be super restricted and compatible only with Apple latest devices.

I'm fully into Apple ecosystem, I have MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone 4S (waiting for my iPhone5 now) and Apple TV (3rd gen). But honestly I'm getting sick of these restrictions, walls and ever increasing nickel-and-diming. The worst part - even within Apple own ecosystem there are ridiculous restrictions and a bit older devices are intentionally being crippled. For example - I was unpleasantly surprised, that my friend with iPhone 4 could not play video to my Apple TV 3. Only audio, because video streaming "is not supported on this device". PATHETIC! I don't believe for a second, that iPhone 4 is not technically capable of sending a youtube video to Apple TV. This is simply an artificial restriction of older device. Mind you, a device you can still buy brand new from Apple today. I'm getting more and more pissed about Apple. The greed is gradually becoming THE defining characteristics of Apple. I was a happly "Apple tax" payer, because I knew my quality made device "will just work", will work for a long time and be supported for a long time. This is no longer true. Today, when I buy a new Apple product, I already see how in the near future it will be quickly made second-tier and then soon after dropped. For example, 1st gen iPad mini. Just wait and see, soon it will be very outdated and limited.

Sorry for the rant. As a long time loyal Apple user I just can't hold this in me anymore. :(

PATHETIC! Because iPhone 4 is very slow indeed, it is not technically "incapable" but it's close to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.