Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TomCayman

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2009
As I need them internationally (GSM), ordered two (had to reserve one at a time, system only allows one contract phone at a time) for pick up in Tampa today (there was stock in all Tampa stores when reserving 10:15pm last night).

As described here, in order to make the reservations, set up (as an international visitor) for new AT&T accounts (dummy Social Security, US billing address for credit card etc).

When I got to the store, they noted that they could sell them full price, but they'd be locked.

I asked them to double check..the guy checked with his colleague. Procedure was to a) have them return them to inventory (so they were not tied to AT&T), then b) sell them from inventory to me as device unlocked, contract free.

They were perfectly happy to sell them to me, took only a few minutes to do the "return to inventory and reissue" procedure.

Thought I'd share the learnings for others who may be flying in from overseas, simply reserve (if they have inventory at the store you want) at 10pm the night before you fly in, then drive to the store and pick up with the method I noted.

Of course now I have to wait until I get home, get my phone company to cut down my SIM to nano-SIM size, then follow the procedure of a) stick nano-SIM in iPhone, b) switch on, c) plug in to laptop, d) load iTunes (to activate).... so have a few days before I can use the shiny new toy :)

troyhouse

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2010
that may have been true for you, but you need to give context to your answer (as in both location and date).

initially, you could buy a device only Verizon iPhone 5 from any Apple Store, then some time after that some locations started restricting device only purchases to AT&T models (3 of my nearby Apple Stores are like this).

11/16, apple store chgo nw suburbs. never been att/verizon customer, using 3gs on tmo, and planning to use ip5 on tmo too.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Just cause you don't have a iphone 5 or can't afford / spend that much does not mean there is no benefits. How ever you want to justify your self but my wife and I are both enjoying the shizz out of our iphone 5 on straight talk. I could care less about 25mbps and 7mbps is more than plenty for my needs but lag and delay of the a5 processor compared to a6 is HUGE. Weight savings, battery life and other perks are icing on the cake.

I can most definitely afford an iPhone 5, or whatever other phone I want. My family's plan is structured such that I could upgrade every 10 months as well. However, I cannot get an iPhone 5 right now because I need Google Maps and Wifi tethering, and I'd like other Jailbroken features that I have now on 5.0.1. I want LTE, but it is bothering me that I want to upgrade just because AT&T's HSPA+ network is broken in many areas. If AT&T was running a good DC-HSPA+ network, it would be just as fast as LTE (although the 4S is limited to 14.4mbps....).

The bottom line is that the iPhone 5 has many negatives (larger size, lightning, new form factor), and the only upside is LTE. However, I am thinking that I can probably live without it for now and if I want to upgrade, I'd probably get the GSIII, even though there would be some costs to switching back to Android, and the device is much larger and clunkier than the iPhone.

faiz23

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
I agree I love my iPhone 5 on T-mobile and am very happy with my 3G with 4g being released next year. Everything you said was correct except its not a quadcore. It's a duelcore with tricore graphics. But it still is much faster the the galaxy S III.

You are correct not sure what I was thinking. It is a higher clock rate but still dual core cpu and tri core graphics which is higher clock rate as well I believe. The die has been shrunk so that means less heat and power usage along with 1gb of ram on iphone 5 versus 512mb of ram on the 4s

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
If you don't mind me asking what state and store?

South Florida the galleria mall in Fort Lauderdale

----------

I can most definitely afford an iPhone 5, or whatever other phone I want. My family's plan is structured such that I could upgrade every 10 months as well. However, I cannot get an iPhone 5 right now because I need Google Maps and Wifi tethering, and I'd like other Jailbroken features that I have now on 5.0.1. I want LTE, but it is bothering me that I want to upgrade just because AT&T's HSPA+ network is broken in many areas. If AT&T was running a good DC-HSPA+ network, it would be just as fast as LTE (although the 4S is limited to 14.4mbps....).

The bottom line is that the iPhone 5 has many negatives (larger size, lightning, new form factor), and the only upside is LTE. However, I am thinking that I can probably live without it for now and if I want to upgrade, I'd probably get the GSIII, even though there would be some costs to switching back to Android, and the device is much larger and clunkier than the iPhone.

Everything you just listed as negatives are actually positives. I have the galaxy SIII as well and my iPhone 5 is a much better phone in every way. It has everything I need it for, all those extra features that Samsung claims on the sIII are just gimmicks. For example PIP I only used once. NFC never used and never will used since it is still very insecure and has been hacked into already on multiple occasions. Not to mention it was so laggy I had to root it and put on CM10 to make it run good. You shouldn't have to hack a phone to make it run like its supposed to out of the box.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Everything you just listed as negatives are actually positives. I have the galaxy SIII as well and my iPhone 5 is a much better phone in every way. It has everything I need it for, all those extra features that Samsung claims on the sIII are just gimmicks. For example PIP I only used once. NFC never used and never will used since it is still very insecure and has been hacked into already on multiple occasions. Not to mention it was so laggy I had to root it and put on CM10 to make it run good. You shouldn't have to hack a phone to make it run like its supposed to out of the box.

I wasn't listing gimicky features, I was listing thing that are wrong with the iPhone 5. Lightning is the most obvious, the GSIII trumps even the old iPhones with the industry-standard Micro-USB. The form factor on the iPhone 5 is partly bad just because it's a change from the 4S, and the size is a negative going from the 4S to the 5, but obviously a big positive compared to the GSIII, which is big, although it does use it's size very effectively in terms of packing a giant screen in.

And of course there's the standard upsides and downsides to iOS vs. Android.

Another big thing for me will be to see what Lifeproof comes out with for the GSIII. I almost want to wait for the GSIV, but that could be close to a year by the time it comes out, gets to AT&T, and gets a Lifeproof case.

The GSIII is also about $260 with 80GB of storage, vs. $400 with 64GB for the iPhone 5.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I wasn't listing gimicky features, I was listing thing that are wrong with the iPhone 5. Lightning is the most obvious, the GSIII trumps even the old iPhones with the industry-standard Micro-USB. The form factor on the iPhone 5 is partly bad just because it's a change from the 4S, and the size is a negative going from the 4S to the 5, but obviously a big positive compared to the GSIII, which is big, although it does use it's size very effectively in terms of packing a giant screen in.

And of course there's the standard upsides and downsides to iOS vs. Android.

Another big thing for me will be to see what Lifeproof comes out with for the GSIII. I almost want to wait for the GSIV, but that could be close to a year by the time it comes out, gets to AT&T, and gets a Lifeproof case.

The GSIII is also about $260 with 80GB of storage, vs. $400 with 64GB for the iPhone 5.

Well this weekend when in went to hook up my iPhone at t-mobile they were giving the SIII for free with a contract but I think that was just for sat and Sunday. I am not saying the SIII is a bad phone it's that what you found as negatives are actually positives to others. I love the new lightning cable since it is much easier to insert then the microUSB was. Both the SIII and Samsung have their benefits and different phones work for different people for example Android is mainly for 2 types of people, first the lower end models are for people who can't afford or don't want to spend the money on a high end phone like the iPhone or the SIII then the second type of person are the ones that buy the high end androids like the SIII and the Mote that love to customize their phones and mess with Roms. I used to be the second guy but I have grown tired of moding and messing with my phone so I have gone with the iPhone since it works better with my Mac and appletv. Like I said each has their own nich which means neither Samsung nor Apple will impede on the others customer base, this is why we see Samsung and apples sales going up with everyone's else's like htc and bb going down.

max5peru

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Peru
My sister went to an apple store in ATL (Lenox) and asked for a full price AT&T iPhone 5. They agree to sell it in the beginning but when they were going to make the check out they asked her for an AT&T number to tie the phone with. When she said that the phone is a gift for an AT&T user (that was a lie because its for me and to be used with a Peruvian carrier) they told her that the person who owns the AT&T line should come to the store to make the purchase.
What do you recommend to do? I want the iPhone (someone is coming from ATL to my country in ten days)
I was thinking to ask her to buy a prepaid sim at AT&T under her name and return to the store and try again. But I also have read in another threads that you don't need to be an AT&T customer
Any recommendation? I am in the point to resign and keep my iPhone 4S :S

Thanks!

max5peru

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Peru
Was your card billed when you made The purchase over The Apple store and Its reservation system?
As I need them internationally (GSM), ordered two (had to reserve one at a time, system only allows one contract phone at a time) for pick up in Tampa today (there was stock in all Tampa stores when reserving 10:15pm last night).

As described here, in order to make the reservations, set up (as an international visitor) for new AT&T accounts (dummy Social Security, US billing address for credit card etc).

When I got to the store, they noted that they could sell them full price, but they'd be locked.

I asked them to double check..the guy checked with his colleague. Procedure was to a) have them return them to inventory (so they were not tied to AT&T), then b) sell them from inventory to me as device unlocked, contract free.

They were perfectly happy to sell them to me, took only a few minutes to do the "return to inventory and reissue" procedure.

Thought I'd share the learnings for others who may be flying in from overseas, simply reserve (if they have inventory at the store you want) at 10pm the night before you fly in, then drive to the store and pick up with the method I noted.

Of course now I have to wait until I get home, get my phone company to cut down my SIM to nano-SIM size, then follow the procedure of a) stick nano-SIM in iPhone, b) switch on, c) plug in to laptop, d) load iTunes (to activate).... so have a few days before I can use the shiny new toy :)

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I hate to try or wait from Apple Store.I just want to buy an factory unlocked Iphone 5 from Apple Store.Thats it but I am sick of waiting this.

Then go and buy one, all AT&T models at the apple store are actually unlocked. Ask for device only

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Well this weekend when in went to hook up my iPhone at t-mobile they were giving the SIII for free with a contract but I think that was just for sat and Sunday. I am not saying the SIII is a bad phone it's that what you found as negatives are actually positives to others. I love the new lightning cable since it is much easier to insert then the microUSB was. Both the SIII and Samsung have their benefits and different phones work for different people for example Android is mainly for 2 types of people, first the lower end models are for people who can't afford or don't want to spend the money on a high end phone like the iPhone or the SIII then the second type of person are the ones that buy the high end androids like the SIII and the Mote that love to customize their phones and mess with Roms. I used to be the second guy but I have grown tired of moding and messing with my phone so I have gone with the iPhone since it works better with my Mac and appletv. Like I said each has their own nich which means neither Samsung nor Apple will impede on the others customer base, this is why we see Samsung and apples sales going up with everyone's else's like htc and bb going down.

Lightning is a proprietary cable, and that is a negative plain and simple. You could make a good argument for the 30-pin connector, if you already have a ton of chargers or accessories that it works with, but no one owned any Lightning cables before Apple forced it on everyone with the iPhone 5, so there was no argument for it. Nor is it a new standard that many manufacturers will or even can use, like DisplayPort, which is relatively new and gaining some traction. Nor does it have any technical advantages like HDMI had when it came out (i.e. sound and video together on a single cable).

It's true that hacking and modding gets annoying for most after a while, and that's one thing that would bother me with a GSIII. At this point though, I could probably do everything I really need to do with rooted stock, and just be behind the ball on upgrades. OTOH, while the iPhone is a lot easier, you just take the OS and Jailbreak it, I am running software that's almost a year old at this point because of the lack of a Jailbreak for iOS 6, and Apple's continued refusal to give root-level access, and ongoing war with people who just want to use their devices for whatever the heck they want to use them for. Probably the biggest thing that annoyed me on Android was re-installing stuff every time that I flashed a new ROM.

Oh, and Android is for a lot more people than your two stereotypes. Yes, it owns the low end since Apple doesn't want to compete in that market. However, many people like the customization, even without ROMs, want something that's not from Apple, or they want more hardware options. There still is no true VeriPhone, every one so far has been crippled compared to other phones on Verizon or the AT&T iPhone, so Android is a good pick there.

TomCayman

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2009
Was your card billed when you made The purchase over The Apple store and Its reservation system?

Yes, but when they went through the process in the store of a) returning it to inventory, and b) reissuing the same iPhones to me as "Device only", that cancelled the original sale through the online store.

A few hours later, I received an email noting I would get a credit for the cancelled online sale.

max5peru

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Peru
How about the ones you get at Best But full price?

Then go and buy one, all AT&T models at the apple store are actually unlocked. Ask for device only

----------

I have made the purchase yesterday. The phone is ready to pick up, hope my sister could go to the store and pick up the phone without problems.
I paid full price ($799+taxes) online.

Has anybody tried to go to best buy and buy a device only iphone 5 there?

yhan

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2011
Hi! From which store in NJ did you go? And what model do they have in stock for selling in full price? Is it AT&T or Verizon?

I went into an apple store this evening in NJ to try and get one and he was more than happy to sell me one at full retail price. Unfortunately they only had 16g models and I need a 32gb.

So it looks like supply is starting to catch up as the same store told me the complete opposite about 3 weeks ago.

Last edited:

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012

----------

I have made the purchase yesterday. The phone is ready to pick up, hope my sister could go to the store and pick up the phone without problems.

Not sure, I purchased mine from apple so it might be different from best buy

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC

----------

My understanding with Best Buy it will be device locked to AT&T. You can purchase a factory unlock on EBay for $10 to unlock it though.

----------

So who tried the "verizon site method" and is not american (using fake ssn and an international credit card) and succeeded ?

For the others do you know if Apple stores in NYC still sell the iphone without contract ?
The Apple Store 5th Ave was doing a line every morning with tickets to a few hundred phones they had in stock.

Jusfer

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
USA Intermountain West
Ok, so here's a really basic question, if I buy a Verizon unlocked phone, but I use that on the ATT network month to month (no contract) via Walmart's Straight Talk program?

I'm looking to purchase a phone and avoid the nasty contract and still get good service. Its far cheaper if you have the cash upfront to do that.

Maybe I am blind or something, but the last time I checked with Straight Talk, I was told their service is GSM only, so the Verizon phone should not work. Tell me that I am wrong.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Maybe I am blind or something, but the last time I checked with Straight Talk, I was told their service is GSM only, so the Verizon phone should not work. Tell me that I am wrong.

If you're talking about the verizon iphone 5 then yes you are wrong:)
The verizon i5 comes unlocked for any GSM carrier in the world.
So straight talk and any other gsm sim will work fine with it.

Jusfer

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
USA Intermountain West
If you're talking about the verizon iphone 5 then yes you are wrong:)
The verizon i5 comes unlocked for any GSM carrier in the world.
So straight talk and any other gsm sim will work fine with it.

Very interesting! I stand corrected.

So, please tell me why anyone (= I) would want to buy an unlocked AT&T at full price if they can use the Verizon i5 for AT&T/GSM AND Verizon?

max5peru

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Peru
Got the phone at best buy

My sister could get the AT&T phone today. I paid 799 plus taxes.
I also request the unlock to AT&T for free so I'll wait for a response from them while my phone is delivered to Peru. Ill keep you posted!

yhan

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2011
Question

Yesterday I called one of the Apple stores in NJ and they said they do have stocks of iPhone 5 which they sell for full price without contract. The customer service representative said that they have both AT&T and Verizon model available, but the devices are locked from the carrier. I read from the thread that all Verizon models are UNLOCKED, is this true?

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
My sister could get the AT&T phone today. I paid 799 plus taxes.
I also request the unlock to AT&T for free so I'll wait for a response from them while my phone is delivered to Peru. Ill keep you posted!
AT&T is very slow to process their unlock request. They will email you back requesting your AT&T phone number, even though you bought the phone full price without contract so you don't have an AT&T number. So you'll end up going back and forth communicating the fact that you bought the phone off contract full price. It might be faster to buy the unlock off EBay.

----------

Yesterday I called one of the Apple stores in NJ and they said they do have stocks of iPhone 5 which they sell for full price without contract. The customer service representative said that they have both AT&T and Verizon model available, but the devices are locked from the carrier. I read from the thread that all Verizon models are UNLOCKED, is this true?
If you buy an AT&T iPhone 5 from the Apple Store "device only" no contract the phone will come out of the box unlocked.

All Verizon iPhone 5's GSM SIM slots are unlocked. No matter who you buy from.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.