Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kis

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
I was just watching some Youtube videos when I noticed an extremely bright, tiny spot on the screen. At first I thought it was a stuck pixel that had suddenly appeared. Turned off the machine and immediately saw that the spot was still here. Gotta be dirt, I thought - not so. It's a tiny weeny chip / crack in the glass. I have no idea how that could get in there. I never cleaned the screen, so it can't have happened because I rubbed in sand or something. I carry the rMBP with me every day, so I guess it must have happened in the bag. Just don't know how? Even if there were some tiny sand particles in my bag, they couldn't possibly grind on the screen considering the screen's closed and in a fixed position relative to the keyboard.

I'm actually scared to ask - but: how much does Apple charge to replace the freaking screen? 1400-1500$?

Greshone

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2011
hi, I have at least 4 spots on my screen. In my opinion it's made by sand or something which stuck between screen and keyboard.

I don't know what to do!! it sucks!!

Nov 28, 2010
located
Get Apple care right now and bring into apple store in few days

Since the MacBook Pro with Retina Display has been released less than six months ago it is already covered by Apple Care, like every other Apple product within the first year of purchase.
The Apple Care Protection Plan is only there to extend Apple Care for year two and year three and will not get you additional options for the first year except telephone support for more the entire first year instead of the standard 90 days.

Strange though, that the display gets scratched that easily, maybe it is a defect and you can get a free repair.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
In what way will that help if they determine it is physical damage? AppleCare doesn't cover accidental damage.

They could argue the damage resulted from normal predictable use, and it's happened far faster than regular wear and tear would account for. If the computer was not misused, then apple should cover it.

I would avoid mentioning "sand" or anything like that. I would just bring it in, point to the blemish in the glass, say the computer has been hardly used and been kept in a clean safe bag which was also bought at the apple store (this can be a little white lie), and that the blemish seems to line up with a particular key on the keyboard when the screen is closed. suggest that this is a manufacturing defect, or something like that.

kis

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
I guess I've been out of the game for awhile...how the heck is your laptop worth $4200?? :eek:

That's how much they cost here :-(

----------

They could argue the damage resulted from normal predictable use, and it's happened far faster than regular wear and tear would account for. If the computer was not misused, then apple should cover it.

I would avoid mentioning "sand" or anything like that. I would just bring it in, point to the blemish in the glass, say the computer has been hardly used and been kept in a clean safe bag which was also bought at the apple store (this can be a little white lie), and that the blemish seems to line up with a particular key on the keyboard when the screen is closed. suggest that this is a manufacturing defect, or something like that.

Considering that I honestly don't know how this could have possibly happened and that I actually always transported it in a fitting sleeve, that's not even a lie. I'll definitely bring it to an Apple Store for an analysis. I really don't think this is supposed to happen.

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
I guess I've been out of the game for awhile...how the heck is your laptop worth $4200?? :eek:

He most likely has a top configured 15" rMBP. My 13" rMBP was approx. $4000... which is still cheaper than in neighbouring countries since VAT around here is just 8% ( of course, the notebook still costs more than in the US due to import taxes and so on and so forth ).

PS: Maxed out 15" rMBP is priced at 4199 CHF ( roughly $4450 ).

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
I'm actually scared to ask - but: how much does Apple charge to replace the freaking screen? 1400-1500$?

Although I never had to change a screen, I guess it would cost you $500-600 ( definitely under $1000 - IHMO at least, but don't take my word on it )... in my experience, Apple employees are really helpful around here and just change stuff without even checking the problem ( a friend of mine had some problems with the Home button of his iPhone, and although his warranty has expired 2-3 months before, they just gave him a brand new phone... they didn't even bother asking about warranty or anything, they just said: "oh yeah, we are aware of such issues" and that was it ).

... I'm not sure about the French region though ( guessing you're from one of the French kantons based on your typos ). Just take it to a store and see how it goes. Worst case scenario: they'll ask you to pay for the repair. :D

EDIT: If the guys at the Apple store in Genève are not too helpful, maybe try giving the one in Zürich a shot too ( if you can of course ) before pulling your wallet out. It's really your call...

Last edited:

kis

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Now would be a good time to see if you have an LG screen.

I do - IR is relatively minimal in this one, but it's there.

I'll take it to an Apple Store, but can't do so for another 10 days (the closest AS is 60 miles from here), will post an upate once I've had a chance to show it to an Apple employee. I don't want to blame Apple here but considering the amount of care I've been giving to this computer, I just can't see how I could have possibly caused this. I've worked in IT for 14 years and have never seen anything like it :-(

Last edited:

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
I do - IR is relatively minimal in this one, but it's there

Same thing happened on my LG screen. Like others, I treat my laptop with a lot of care so I can only guess that it's because some dirt got caught between the keyboard and the screen and then the scratch occurred during travel. Luckily, I was already quite annoyed with the image persistence problem with the LG screen so I brought it in to complain about that and didn't mention the chipped screen. My unit passed their image persistence test but I just kept complaining and eventually convinced the manager (the initial genius wouldn't do it) to replace my screen.

Now I have to carry that microfiber cloth around with me everywhere and make sure the screen and keyboard are very clean before I shut my computer down and put it in the bag. Quite annoying, but I don't want another chip since the Samsung screen they gave me has no defects so I couldn't get this one replaced.

northernbaldy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2010
the north, UK
Nightmare!
I have to say, from my very first laptop, a thinkpad that I still have! I've used a protector between the screen and keyboard

It pains me at work when I see people cramming paperwork between their screen and keyboard! Madness

Sgtarky

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
Benton, Arkansas
one of our board members had the same problem he took it to applestore and they replaced it for free. I dont remember his name, maybe he will chime in.

kis

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Easy... it's payback time for the license fee apple paid for the Swiss Railroad Clock.

Believe me, the Swiss Federal Railway company isn't just ripping off Apple, they also rip off their own customers. Made millions in profits this year and just raised the prices by 12.5%.

----------

one of our board members had the same problem he took it to applestore and they replaced it for free. I dont remember his name, maybe he will chime in.

Thanks - I'll definitely give it a try. At least I've calmed down a bit - was about ready to throw up when I noticed the issue.

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
That's how much they cost here :-(

Holy cow (or at least mooing and cow bells on the Airport gate trams)!

No wonder my buddies from Zurich always buy a laptop and leave the box behind when they come over.

I thought you guys were relatively low tax. That VAT is a biotch.

kis

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Holy cow (or at least mooing and cow bells on the Airport gate trams)!

No wonder my buddies from Zurich always buy a laptop and leave the box behind when they come over.

Isn't 8% about what you guys pay as well in the States? It's 19% in Germany - now THAT sucks :) Normally it's 7.6% here but they temporarily raised it to 8% for seven years to bail out our ailing invalidity insurance system.

It's not the VAT that makes Apple products so expensive here - it's Apple. They just charge us more for the same product.

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland

Certain taxes are low, especially on corporation level, but not all ( look at groceries ).
... anyway, products get taxed long before they get to Switzerland ( international import taxes, etc. ).
On the other hand, salaries are a significantly higher than in many other countries.
... overall, there's not much ( nothing significant at least ) to complain about.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
He most likely has a top configured 15" rMBP. My 13" rMBP was approx. $4000... which is still cheaper than in neighbouring countries since VAT around here is just 8% ( of course, the notebook still costs more than in the US due to import taxes and so on and so forth ).

PS: Maxed out 15" rMBP is priced at 4199 CHF ( roughly $4450 ).

you spent $4000 on the 13" rmbp? ouch. even based on your location you still got ripped off.

Benjamin,

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
Brighton, UK
Sure you didn't have it there before, after purchase? How long ago did you buy it? Could you still argue it's been there from the start.

So you use your rMBP to... watch YouTube?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.