Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
The block the ads but you still have the black silence. You know full well they still exist.

I don't think I should be plagued with ads when I pay for hulu+.

I don't get any black silence, they just get skipped for me. What site gives you blank silences?

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I don't generally watch video online, with the occasional exception for some particular news clip. I purchase and download assorted films and TV shows. I'd be annoyed if those had commercials in them. So far, they don't.

When I hit some news site and happen to want to watch a video clip, I don't mind a 10-second or so commercial in front of the content.

What I do mind when I hit a site I don't use often or have never used before is having to adjust the NoScript settings, fish through them to figure out which ones will actually load the damn content and which are just trackers, etc. There are a few sites I've never straightened out in that respect and then I just move on. Life is short, most general news turns up elsewhere within minutes or a few hours anyway.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Depends on what I'm watching. A 30 second ad to watch a 20 second news clip - forget it. A 10 or 15 second ad would be more tolerable, but my willingness to wait is proportional to my interest in the clip in question.

However, a 30 second ad or two in the middle of a hour TV show. No problem.

Preach!
I simply go without the video clip if they are going to expect me to watch a 30 second ad.

If a TV program showed me a 15 minute commercial I would turn it off and walk away as well :D

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Those still exist? I've been using AdBlock Plus for about two years now.

Same here, I haven't seen any kind of advertisement in years since I installed AdBlock.

I'm hoping theres some kind of similar solution for my Android phone with Opera web browser and the youtube app itself.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
There is a trend to stick 30 second commercials in front of online videos and some cannot be skipped. Although I accept this for television, for some reason it's especially irritating on the net.

I'm the opposite....For some reason I hate ads when I'm watching TV on my iPad, even though I know that if I were watching on TV I'd get them anyway.

Lame duck

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
I don't mind them on youtube for the 15-20 minute type videos, I've found I skip about 2/3 of them but the producers are getting better at producing adverts that are compelling to watch 'for a bit longer' than the 5 second mandatory view until you can skip. I don't see these adverts on iPad player though.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Same here, I haven't seen any kind of advertisement in years since I installed AdBlock.

I'm hoping theres some kind of similar solution for my Android phone with Opera web browser and the youtube app itself.

Root and install AdAway.

Which is kinda stealing, but hey...

tumblr_m81nrwSvwN1r3zat8.gif

Hulu will give you black silence, if you have adblock.

Thanks. I don't even have Hulu in my country so I have no problems. YouTube and 4OD play fine just straight skipping the video ads.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah, stealing your time back, for something you have already paid for. :mad:

You wouldn't be a tele-marketer, would you. If so, I would like to discuss sharing my telephone bill with you. ;)

Something you already paid for? The vast majority of the websites on the internet are free, aren't they? And they'd all be affected if one used AdBlock to browse the internet.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Something you already paid for? The vast majority of the websites on the internet are free, aren't they? And they'd all be affected if one used AdBlock to browse the internet.

Oh no! However will Google and the massive media and makreting companies continue to function with me running AdBlock? They will surely all go bankrupt within the month :(

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
So when you record something on your DVR and watch it later, you don't fast forward through the commercials?

That's different, as when commercials are paid for on TV, they take things like that into account anyway when they pay the TV station a set amount of money. On the internet it's different, as it's directly pay per view or pay per click, so by blocking adverts you're directly taking a small amount of revenue from that website.

----------

Oh no! However will Google and the massive media and makreting companies continue to function with me running AdBlock? They will surely all go bankrupt within the month :(

Yeah, well, that's just saying that it's OK because it's a big, faceless corporation. Besides, it's not just them, it is also many smaller websites on the internet that will be you'd be taking revenue from.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Yeah, well, that's just saying that it's OK because it's a big, faceless corporation.

It's okay period. When I'm watching TV on my actual TV I walk out of the room during the ad breaks, doesn't mean I'm "stealing."

Besides, it's not just them, it is also many smaller websites on the internet that will be you'd be taking revenue from.

Because small websites have such massive running costs and I totally would have clicked the ads anyway :(

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
It's okay period. When I'm watching TV on my actual TV I walk out of the room during the ad breaks, doesn't mean I'm "stealing."

As I said above: That's different, as when commercials are paid for on TV, they take things like that into account anyway when they pay the TV station a set amount of money. On the internet it's different, as it's directly pay per view or pay per click, so by blocking adverts you're directly taking a small amount of revenue from that website.

Because small websites have such massive running costs and I totally would have clicked the ads anyway :([/QUOTE]

Because small websites don't want to make profit, do they?

And you could apply the same view to pirating movies: Oh, it doesn't matter if I pirate movies, because it's not like Hollywood needs my extra $9.99 ;)

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Not usually, as nothing is truly free, but I usually tune them out.

What bothers me is ads on stuff I pay for - like Hulu Plus. If I'm paying for content, I don't want to see any ads.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
As I said above: That's different, as when commercials are paid for on TV, they take things like that into account anyway when they pay the TV station a set amount of money. On the internet it's different, as it's directly pay per view or pay per click, so by blocking adverts you're directly taking a small amount of revenue from that website.

So you think internet advertisers are unaware that AdBlock exists? Really?

Because small websites don't want to make profit, do they?

You really don't seem to know what you're talking about. I used to run a small self-hosted blog and it was very small, but I got about £120 a year just from Google ads, only £20 of which went to running costs. In terms of overall revenue it was barely a drop in the ocean even for my tiny blog, let alone massive companies or even small businesses.

And you could apply the same view to pirating movies: Oh, it doesn't matter if I pirate movies, because it's not like Hollywood needs my extra $9.99 ;)

Correct, plus I don't want to support the people who create things like SOPA and ACTA, so I do not give the MPAA, RIAA, or BPI any of my money at all.

atthecross

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
not as much as i resent commercials on blu-rays that i have BOUGHT or as much as those stinkin' pop commercials that take up the bottom portion of my TV on the cable that I"M PAYING FOR!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
So you think internet advertisers are unaware that AdBlock exists? Really?

Of course they know it exists - But the point is is that everything on the internet is trackable, so they don't have to make predictions and guesses like TV advertising. If someone goes to a website and views/clicks on an advert, the webmaster will get a direct cut of that view/click. So if you block that advert then that webmaster will miss out on a bit of revenue from that view/click. On TV, however, an ad company says to a TV station "OK, well, we predict that when the commercials come on 70% of your viewers will mute their TV set, so only 30% of them will actually be able to HEAR our ads, and the rest will only be able to see them. And we predict that 40% of them will walk away to do something else when the commercials come on. So based on how many people we think will stick around to see the ads, we'll offer you XXX dollars." So if you walk away from the TV set when the ads come on, it's hardly hitting the TV station, as the $$ the station gets is based on predictions.

You really don't seem to know what you're talking about. I used to run a small self-hosted blog and it was very small, but I got about £120 a year just from Google ads, only £20 of which went to running costs. In terms of overall revenue it was barely a drop in the ocean even for my tiny blog, let alone massive companies or even small businesses.

I think you're missing the point. Websites do not make AS MUCH profit as they COULD make due to people blocking ads. If you were a webmaster, would you not be pissed off if you were losing 5% revenue every month (for example) due to people blocking you ads but consuming your content anyway?

Correct, plus I don't want to support the people who create things like SOPA and ACTA, so I do not give the MPAA, RIAA, or BPI any of my money at all.

Right, so you blatantly pirate movies, TV shows, music etc that took time and $$ to make? And that's fine coz they're just big corporations?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Right, so you blatantly pirate movies, TV shows, music etc that took time and $$ to make? And that's fine coz they're just big corporations?

I always pay for those that I enjoy or care enough for.

That said, I work at geeksquad and even elderly people who barely know how to use their computers are pretty damn astute at downloading from youtube.

The sands are shifting in teh 21st century. High prices simply aren't going to fly anymore now that everyone has content available in a few clicks. I truly don't care if the entertainment dinosaurs of the 20th century fall, we're heading for massive disruption in the media industry as we speak already.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Of course they know it exists - But the point is is that everything on the internet is trackable, so they don't have to make predictions and guesses like TV advertising. If someone goes to a website and views/clicks on an advert, the webmaster will get a direct cut of that view/click. So if you block that advert then that webmaster will miss out on a bit of revenue from that view/click. On TV, however, an ad company says to a TV station "OK, well, we predict that when the commercials come on 70% of your viewers will mute their TV set, so only 30% of them will actually be able to HEAR our ads, and the rest will only be able to see them. And we predict that 40% of them will walk away to do something else when the commercials come on. So based on how many people we think will stick around to see the ads, we'll offer you XXX dollars." So if you walk away from the TV set when the ads come on, it's hardly hitting the TV station, as the $$ the station gets is based on predictions.

And you don't think they take into account that a percentage of users will block the ads when they consider how much to pay per view or click?

I think you're missing the point. Websites do not make AS MUCH profit as they COULD make due to people blocking ads. If you were a webmaster, would you not be pissed off if you were losing 5% revenue every month (for example) due to people blocking you ads but consuming your content anyway?

I don't give a crap. I still made a decent amount of money for the effort I put into the website.

If you're expecting me to feel sympathy for the entertainment industry execs because they have to stick to last year's Bentley (which isn't even the case because, as I'm sure you're aware, entertainment industry profits are only going up every year) you can cry me a river.

Stephen Fry is on my side and he a) makes a living from this industry himself and b) is always right:

P.S. Most music I listen to is from independent artists or small labels and I pay for all of that.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I always pay for those that I enjoy or care enough for.

Exactly, but the same can't be said for many people. There's this guy I know who claims to hate EA and other large gaming corporations because they supposedly 'ruin' previously good games... However he still pirates, plays and enjoys all of the games they 'ruined'. Because let face it: Big corporations make good products. Me thinks that it's just his excuse to pirate because he doesn't want to pay for the premium content that is priced at a premium price (ie: Not $9.99).

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Exactly, but the same can't be said for many people. There's this guy I know who claims to hate EA and other large gaming corporations because they supposedly 'ruin' previously good games... However he still pirates, plays and enjoys all of the games they 'ruined'. Because let face it: Big corporations make good products. Me thinks that it's just his excuse to pirate because he doesn't want to pay for the premium content that is priced at a premium price (ie: Not $9.99).

I agree with everything but the underlined. Every massive company has massive failures. Look at the Microsoft Kins, MobileMe, Google's apple TV Q thing.

Most of the best innovation happens from small companies that then get bought up by larger ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.