Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
I do a tremendous amount of banking on my iPhone 5 and store very sensitive information in areas of my iPhone 5 that get backed up to iCloud.

I'm not sure if I would want that kind of information in the cloud somewhere.

I have iCloud on but only have it on for find my iPhone.

Last edited:

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
Yet another reason I choose to all of my banking in person.

Being the slight paranoid that I am, all of my data is backed up locally with multiple copies with one of those copies residing in our safe.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I backup NO personal information/documents/images to anyone's 'cloud'.

I backup my bookmarks with 'xmarks', but that's as far as I'm going to trust any of these cloud operations.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
You need a password in order to get into the banking app. How's using it over cellular any more secure than a copy of password-protected app backed up on iCloud?

Well not quite what I'm talking about. Can't disclose any details.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I do a tremendous amount of banking on my iPhone 5 and store very sensitive information in areas of my iPhone 5 that get backed up to iCloud.

Well, what does this mean?

I back up my USAA and Bank of America apps to iCloud, but when I restore they both require me to put in my name and password again. That's not stored in the backup like it might be for some other apps.

So if you're talking about something like that, it's 100% safe since your info isn't in the backup.

But if you're talking about putting private info in notes...yeah, that might not be as safe.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Well, what does this mean?

I back up my USAA and Bank of America apps to iCloud, but when I restore they both require me to put in my name and password again. That's not stored in the backup like it might be for some other apps.

So if you're talking about something like that, it's 100% safe since your info isn't in the backup.

But if you're talking about putting private info in notes...yeah, that might not be as safe.

Yea along the lines of the second my friend

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Yea along the lines of the second my friend

What you could do for safety (if you really want cloud backup for info like this) is to store each half with a different service.

Put account names/numbers into Apple's Notes and have that sync with and backup to iCloud. Then put account passwords into an app that syncs with Google Docs and exclude that app from the iCloud backup.

So if someone broke into either iCloud or Google they'd get either your names or your passwords, but not both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.