Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Sorry, it always offloads to the cloud, even if you're asking to do a local function. You can't set a reminder on the phone without a data connection.

There is no "local detection", unless you have a reliable source stating otherwise. Everything you say to Siri is sent right to Apple.

Aha, I've been confusing my voice dictation for Siri when off the network!

Good catch.

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Apple does not need 100% market share for iMessage to be effective in reducing text usage. For most people, the distrubution of texts they send to their contacts is not evenly spread out. It is very weighted towards the top few.
Take a look at your text usage. I suspect for you, 90% of your messages are to your mom, so if you get your mom on an iPhone, you will save a bunch on texting. :p

Well. Thanks for the inside info on the ****ed up US cell phone market. Here in Germany most plans start with 1000 SMS included...and I personally have a SMS Flatrate included meaning there would be no point in this savings discussion.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Well. Thanks for the inside info on the ****ed up US cell phone market. Here in Germany most plans start with 1000 SMS included...and I personally have a SMS Flatrate included meaning there would be no point in this savings discussion.

God I wish that AT&T still offered those kind of plans. Instead they were tipped off by Apple to the fact that iMessage was coming, and they did away with all of their message pack plans, and now the only options are unlimited for $30/month/family or .20/message. With iMessage we now use no more than a few hundred messages per month, for which we pay the exorbitant rate of $30.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009

I've said this many times but I really do feel bad for Yanks when it comes to phone plans.

I pay £25 a month for 2000 minutes, 5000 texts, and unlimited data with unlimited tethering and no fair use on a 30 day rolling contract. I can literally use 100GB of data in a month without any problems.

monkeybongo

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
I don't see why Apple doesn't at least license to devices to receive the Airplay streams and keep the transmission to Apple devices only.

I owned the 1st gen ATV and sold it but perhaps when they release the next version, I'll pick it up.

steve119

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2012
Scotland, land of the haggis
I've said this many times but I really do feel bad for Yanks when it comes to phone plans.

I pay £25 a month for 2000 minutes, 5000 texts, and unlimited data with unlimited tethering and no fair use on a 30 day rolling contract. I can literally use 100GB of data in a month without any problems.

100gb on a mobile contract:eek:

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2003
Google aren't copying Apple, they're bettering them. Look at the requirements for Apple's Airplay:

Apple iOS Device + Apple TV (One-to-One)

Google requirements look like being:

Android Device/Google TV/iOS Devices? + any HDMI-enabled display (Many-to-Many).

With Apple's implementation, if I were at a friend's house wanting to stream something to their TV, as well as having my phone, I would need them to have an Apple TV.

Google's iteration just requires a phone and a HDMI screen, much simpler.

I don't know very many people who would allow you to plug an hdmi cable in their tv.

I wouldn't let someone dig through my setup. There is pretty much nothing on your phone that I need to see on a big screen.

There are exceptions, but 99.9% of the time I'll be fine watching it on the phone.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Why does that matter? All of my Apple devices do, and I don't have any plans to buy an Android or other type of device in the near future.

Pretty much. There's no problem at all as far as I am concerned.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Googles taking on Airplay ?

Why ? already been done
Airparrot.... Why does Google need to do their own ? J

There are open standards, or didn't Google know that ?

Plus, why doe it need to be "simultaneous" for Full screen ? Can't Apple do it in one direction ?

Last edited:

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
After Ping, MobileMe, Apple Maps, Apple Newton, "antenna-gate", eMate, recent regular iCloud/iMessage outages, Apple Bandai Pippin, QuickTake etc. etc. people still trust Apple, so what's your point?

The point was obvious. Google has found zero traction in media. It is not a core competency for them. They've done little with Youtube but add annoyances and again Google TV and Nexus Q show they haven't really learned what consumers want with media streaming.

Apple in turn doesn't understand social so I'm skeptical of them delivering any social features that work (Ping). Leopard don't change their spots. Google is NOT the answer for media.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
Looks like the copy machines aren't just running in Redmond these days.

No... they run in Cupertino too.

Apple didn't create this technology or idea....

The Sling Box was probably the first mainstream product to deliver on this technology. Albeit a bit different... like watching your content on your home box in another country.... and Slingbox didn't have handheld devices to pair up with like phones and tablets, but the concept is the same.

Honestly, AirPlay is botched in many ways too. I remember the first time I used it on the iPhone 4. A 60 second video I shot on the phone took 5 minutes to load on the apple tv.... why? Well, it had to go through the router and beam back... the apple tv had to buffer.... it was painful. Music and pictures were good, video awful.... and yet a 10 year old device did that better years ago.

villagehiker

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2010
Texas
Competition is Good, But...

Google would do better to innovate. At one time they innovated. No longer. Too bad. I will stick with Apple.

Renzatic

Suspended
Google would do better to innovate. At one time they innovated. No longer. Too bad. I will stick with Apple.

What exactly is your definition of "innovate"? I ask this because most people here seem to mix up innovation with invention.

Simply put, if Google comes out with a better Airplay than Apple's, it's not a clone. It's an innovation on their original idea. Therefore, Google innovates.

...though it remains to be seen if Google's attempt is better than Apple's, but if it is...

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia

Yeah, I'm always amazed how insane American plans for mobile and internet are.

Here in Latvia we have one of the lowest population densities in the EU, but we are served by three fiercely competing operators (LMT, Tele2 and Bite) that all have excellent countrywide coverage (3G almost everywhere, 4G being tested at largest cities). I subscribe to a plan "freedom" from LMT for €10 a month, that includes unlimited domestic calls, unlimited texts, unlimited MMSs and 50MB of data. For extra €7 you get 2GB data or for €14 you get 10GB data. Tele2 and Bite offer even cheaper plans.

But at home for less than €20 a month you get absolutely unrestricted 10-20 Mbit/s DSL or, where available, 100-200 Mbit/s optical broadband.

I remember about 10 years ago we only had 2 mobile operators and 1 large fixed line monopoly. We had very high prices, one of the highest in Europe. But after the 3rd real competitor (Bite) was allowed to enter the market and the government also ended the monopoly of fixed phone lines/internet, everything changed so much for the better. Not only prices, but service quality, coverage and availability.

So in essence I believe REAL competition is THE ONLY remedy for all the poor service and high price problems, anywhere in the world. And governments have to actively create and guard competition, not just sit by and watch "unregulated market" (or, as most likely, secretly help some specific mega corporation business interests and semi-monopolies).

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
I'll bet the dozens of people with Google TV will love this new Airplay-like capability.

You can now pair the Android YouTube app with an XBox (via the XBox YT app) and "AirPlay" the video. I'd say there's a *lot* more people with that than Google TVs! But then you wouldn't know if you only have iOS...

Don't have a PS3 but I presume the same applies. We'll have to see if the function comes to the iOS app eventually.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
You can now pair the Android YouTube app with an XBox (via the XBox YT app) and "AirPlay" the video. I'd say there's a *lot* more people with that than Google TVs! But then you wouldn't know if you only have iOS...

Don't have a PS3 but I presume the same applies. We'll have to see if the function comes to the iOS app eventually.

You can actually send videos to your console via the mobile YouTube site. At least on the iPad. And yes it does apply to the PS3 as well.

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
You can actually send videos to your console via the mobile YouTube site. At least on the iPad. And yes it does apply to the PS3 as well.

Wow, just checked and had no idea (serves me right for being snarky). Nice that there's a way to do it on the iPad too. I guess that got enabled along with the Android app functionality.

If you have a console it works nicely, the main catch is that it seems you have to be in the XBox/PS3 YouTube app for it to function. Still, it's worth setting up.

ETA - works from mobile Safari on the iPhone too. :) Need to go into settings where it says "Pair with YouTube TV".

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
thats not airplay. thats pointing to a video and remotely telling the console to fetch it. airplay is not a remote control.

I'm quite aware that it's not AirPlay. Though AirPlay always seemed like massive overkill for an app that streams media from the web. Streaming directly to the device you intend to view it on uses a lot less local network bandwidth. AirPlay makes sense for downloaded media.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.