Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

View Poll Results: Have you been censored by MacRumors?
Yes, they have deleted one of my posts. 97 61.39%
No, I have never had a post deleted. 43 27.22%
I don't know. 18 11.39%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:08 PM   #76
Orange Crane
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo View Post
Are you waiving your right to moderation privacy? If so, then we can discuss the reason for that timeout in this thread, as well as the rest of your moderation history. Otherwise, please use the Contact form if you have a concern regarding specific moderation.
Is anybody addressing you? Go troll someone else.
Orange Crane is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:24 PM   #77
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crane View Post
I got timeouted for just posting in the thread about heavy handed moderation. Thought that was pretty funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crane View Post
Is anybody addressing you? Go troll someone else.
Its a valid request. You complained about your timeout and by waiving your right to moderation privacy it can be discussed here. Due to privacy rules we do not publicly discuss member's moderation history unless they waive that right

If you're unhappy with the moderation and do not wish to discuss the details here, then please use the contact us form and an administrator will answer any questions you may have.
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:38 PM   #78
pivo6
macrumors 68000
 
pivo6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Its a valid request. You complained about your timeout and by waiving your right to moderation privacy it can be discussed here. Due to privacy rules we do not publicly discuss member's moderation history unless they waive that right

If you're unhappy with the moderation and do not wish to discuss the details here, then please use the contact us form and an administrator will answer any questions you may have.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't read anywhere where Orange Crane complained about his/her timeout, or wanted to discuss the reasons.
__________________
This place will never be what it once was
pivo6 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:40 PM   #79
Orange Crane
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pivo6 View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't read anywhere where Orange Crane complained about his/her timeout, or wanted to discuss the reasons.
Yes. More having a chuckle at the situation. "Some" don't get it, but I don't mind.
Orange Crane is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:51 PM   #80
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crane View Post
I got timeouted for just posting in the thread about heavy handed moderation. Thought that was pretty funny.
No, you didn't get a time-out for "just posting in the thread". If your post resulted in moderator action, it was because it violated a forum rule. However, when dejo presented you with an opportunity to get all the facts revealed, you make an accusation of trolling? It sounds like you know full well that you violated forum rules, and just don't want the facts to be known, because you're hiding from the truth.
GGJstudios is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:58 PM   #81
pivo6
macrumors 68000
 
pivo6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
No, you didn't get a time-out for "just posting in the thread". If your post resulted in moderator action, it was because it violated a forum rule. However, when dejo presented you with an opportunity to get all the facts revealed, you make an accusation of trolling? It sounds like you know full well that you violated forum rules, and just don't want the facts to be known, because you're hiding from the truth.
I'm not certain why you are making such a comment. The only ones presumably who know why Orange Crane was given a timeout is Orange Crane and the moderator(s).

As stated earlier, he/she wasn't complaining or wanting a discussion about the timeout.
__________________
This place will never be what it once was
pivo6 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:00 PM   #82
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pivo6 View Post
I'm not certain why you are making such a comment. The only ones presumably who know why Orange Crane was given a timeout is Orange Crane and the moderator(s).

As stated earlier, he/she wasn't complaining or wanting a discussion about the timeout.
A claim was made that they received a time-out simply for posting in a thread. That is false. dejo offered to reveal the facts that disprove the false claim, but the offer was rejected, since the one making the false claim doesn't appear to want the truth to be told. It has nothing to do with complaining, but rather a correction needed for a false and misleading post.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:05 PM   #83
pivo6
macrumors 68000
 
pivo6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
A claim was made that they received a time-out simply for posting in a thread. That is false. dejo offered to reveal the facts that disprove the false claim, but the offer was rejected, since the one making the false claim doesn't appear to want the truth to be told. It has nothing to do with complaining, but rather a correction needed for a false and misleading post.
Nope, No claim was made. What was posted was just a throwaway line, not a false and misleading post.
__________________
This place will never be what it once was
pivo6 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:05 PM   #84
balamw
Moderator
 
balamw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pivo6 View Post
As stated earlier, he/she wasn't complaining or wanting a discussion about the timeout.
Then what is the point of the post if we can't respond to it, per the forum rules on moderation privacy?

This is why the Moderation FAQ says:

Quote:
You can waive your right to moderation privacy when posting in the Site and Forum Feedback forum if you say explicitly that you give us permission to discuss the reasons behind your moderation. This includes your previous forum record, since that's a factor.
As it stands now it's his word against... <crickets> We can't say anything, and this is why the first rule of moderation is that we don't allow talk about specific acts moderation. Orange Crane made it specific by mentioning what his punishment was and in what thread.

B
__________________
MBA (13" 1.7 GHz 128GB), UMBP (15" SD 2.8 GHz), UMB (13" 2.4 GHz), iMac (17" Yonah), 32GB iPad 3 WiFi+LTE, 64 GB iPad WiFi, 32 GB iPhone 5, Airport Extreme
balamw is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:07 PM   #85
pivo6
macrumors 68000
 
pivo6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
Then what is the point of the post if we can't respond to it, per the forum rules on moderation privacy?

This is why the Moderation FAQ says:



As it stands now it's his word against... <crickets> We can't say anything, and this is why the first rule of moderation is that we don't allow talk about specific acts moderation. Orange Crane made it specific by mentioning what his punishment was and in what thread.

B
Maybe it's just me, but I read it as a throwaway line, not a direct complaint.
__________________
This place will never be what it once was
pivo6 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:09 PM   #86
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pivo6 View Post
Nope, No claim was made. What was posted was just a throwaway line, not a false and misleading post.
So that's the new term for a lie? A "throwawy line"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crane View Post
I got timeouted for just posting in the thread about heavy handed moderation.
That is a claim. It is false and misleading. False, in that people don't get time-outs just for posting in threads. Misleading, as it suggests that moderators arbitrarily put members in time-out with no reason.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:09 PM   #87
balamw
Moderator
 
balamw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pivo6 View Post
Nope, No claim was made. What was posted was just a throwaway line, not a false and misleading post.
If it's a throwaway line, we should be able to delete it as we do with LOL +1 Cool Story Bro, etc.... Which are all also against the rules. No?

There is clearly a specific claim being made here. "Punishment X was delivered due to cause Y" is a specific claim. If moderation privacy were waived, perhaps we could respond with "on top of Y, you also did Z and A,B,C which were all pointed out to you", but as it is we can't.

B
__________________
MBA (13" 1.7 GHz 128GB), UMBP (15" SD 2.8 GHz), UMB (13" 2.4 GHz), iMac (17" Yonah), 32GB iPad 3 WiFi+LTE, 64 GB iPad WiFi, 32 GB iPhone 5, Airport Extreme
balamw is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:10 PM   #88
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Great Lakes State
Quote:
Originally Posted by pivo6 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I read it as a throwaway line, not a direct complaint.
I read it as a direct complaint, which is why dejo kindly asked him if he wanted to waive his moderation privacy and discuss it openly.
__________________
...the tiger striping is so beautiful it makes me want to cry.
SandboxGeneral is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:26 PM   #89
Carlanga
macrumors 601
 
Carlanga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PR
I have had ~3 deleted posts for ridiculous things (at least from my perspective), but I can understand why they did it and I like that they explain why it happened on PM.
__________________
☻ "A dream you dream alone is only a dream...
... A dream you dream together is reality." ☻
Carlanga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:35 PM   #90
dejo
Moderator
 
dejo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Centennial State
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crane View Post
Is anybody addressing you? Go troll someone else.
The moderators work as a team. So, when you address one moderator in a thread you are, normally, addressing the entire team. I asked it you were interested in discussing your flippant remark further but, instead, you chose to attack me. I'll take that as a No.
dejo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:42 PM   #91
pivo6
macrumors 68000
 
pivo6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo View Post
The moderators work as a team. So, when you address one moderator in a thread you are, normally, addressing the entire team. I asked it you were interested in discussing your flippant remark further but, instead, you chose to attack me. I'll take that as a No.
I too read it as a flippant remark, but I will concede that since I'm not a moderator, I can ignore it, while you cannot.
__________________
This place will never be what it once was
pivo6 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:19 PM   #92
MacNut
macrumors P6
 
MacNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo View Post
The moderators work as a team. So, when you address one moderator in a thread you are, normally, addressing the entire team. I asked it you were interested in discussing your flippant remark further but, instead, you chose to attack me. I'll take that as a No.
He was making a statement that you seemed to want to take to the next level. I don't see where he wanted an explanation. I guess sarcasm is hard to determine on the internet.
MacNut is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:50 PM   #93
dejo
Moderator
 
dejo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Centennial State
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
He was making a statement that you seemed to want to take to the next level. I don't see where he wanted an explanation.
He probably didn't want an explanation, but since he made a misleading statement that he was timed-out "just for posting" and, since other members read this thread, the mods felt we should ask him in order to let us set the record straight and educate other users. Unfortunately, without him waiving his right to moderation privacy, we are unable to provide any details.
dejo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:23 AM   #94
annk
Administrator
 
annk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by pivo6 View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't read anywhere where Orange Crane complained about his/her timeout, or wanted to discuss the reasons.
This is the situation:

A member commented on specific moderation in a public thread, which is a rules violation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crane
I got timeouted for just posting in the thread about heavy handed moderation. Thought that was pretty funny.
As per the forum rules, which all members accept as part of the registration process, comments on, discussions of, or questions about specific moderation must be sent via the Contact Us form. If a member breaks this rule, we do one of two things: we either delete the comment and send whatever reaction is appropriate based on the member's moderation history, or we ask if the member is waiving his/her right to moderation privacy, in which case we can discuss the moderation here, in detail.

That's what you're missing, pivo6.
annk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:20 PM   #95
Surely
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. McMac View Post
Agreed Eric I'm surprised I'm not in "timeout" after you know what
I'm not surprised. Fairness and moderation don't go together around here. You were equally responsible for the off-topic nature of our "discussion" in the Purchases thread, and you got nothing. Another member called me a troll, and nothing.



I no longer find this forum enjoyable, especially when it comes to the lack of consistency and transparency when it comes to moderation. I've been around for over five years, participate a lot, help when I can, and when I send a Contact Form to ask why things weren't handled fairly, it is ignored. That was my first TO... it's not like I was a repeat offender.

Don't worry mods, you won't hear a peep out of me anymore. Way to chase off another long time member. I'm done here.
Surely is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:41 PM   #96
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020
 
Mr. McMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surely View Post
I'm not surprised. Fairness and moderation don't go together around here. You were equally responsible for the off-topic nature of our "discussion" in the Purchases thread, and you got nothing.
I happen to agree with you. Both of us deserved timeout. I learned a lesson here., never bring up politics. I'm very passionate in my beliefs, and I'm sure you are as well. No hard feelings, ok?
__________________
Mid 2011 Mac Mini, 2.3 GHz, 8GB of RAM, 500 GB HD, 2 TB external HD, 46" Samsung Display, 4th gen iPod Shuffle
Custom built Windows 7 PC, Asus ChromeBox, 2nd gen Nexus 7, (2) Roku 3's
Mr. McMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:45 PM   #97
annk
Administrator
 
annk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surely View Post
...
...and when I send a Contact Form to ask why things weren't handled fairly, it is ignored.
I'd be very interested to know which contact you've sent that hasn't gotten a response. Contacts are not ignored. I can look it up for you if you like tomorrow, check the timestamps for any contacts you've sent with the timestamps for the corresponding responses.
annk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:46 PM   #98
quasinormal
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo View Post
Are you waiving your right to moderation privacy? If so, then we can discuss the reason for that timeout in this thread, as well as the rest of your moderation history. Otherwise, please use the Contact form if you have a concern regarding specific moderation.
This thread is quite amusing.

I hereby and forever waive my right to moderation privacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surely
I'm done here.
Surely, you can't be serious.
quasinormal is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:25 PM   #99
ericrwalker
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albany, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surely View Post
I'm done here.
I wish, but don't believe.
ericrwalker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:33 PM   #100
Queen of Spades
macrumors 68020
 
Queen of Spades's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Iron Throne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surely View Post
I'm not surprised. Fairness and moderation don't go together around here. You were equally responsible for the off-topic nature of our "discussion" in the Purchases thread, and you got nothing. Another member called me a troll, and nothing.

I no longer find this forum enjoyable, especially when it comes to the lack of consistency and transparency when it comes to moderation. I've been around for over five years, participate a lot, help when I can, and when I send a Contact Form to ask why things weren't handled fairly, it is ignored. That was my first TO... it's not like I was a repeat offender.

Don't worry mods, you won't hear a peep out of me anymore. Way to chase off another long time member. I'm done here.
I've found the moderation to be uneven quite often, as well. And heavy handed when not necessary. I'd never gotten a TO before, and got a 1-week for a pretty innocuous comment. After some discussion via the contact form, it got reduced to 2 days, but that sort of thing is incredibly annoying, and I shouldn't have to point out the obvious unfairness in something like that.

There's also the huge problem of defining what "trolling" is, since it seems to mean different things for different members. There are a few posters in PRSI who make a living by posting provoking, ignorant drivel over and over again, and nothing happens to them.

And if you truly to sign off forever, Surely, you'll be missed. Not sure how much more of the post deleting, TO sprees and the like I'm willing to put up with myself.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. McMac View Post
I happen to agree with you. Both of us deserved timeout. I learned a lesson here., never bring up politics. I'm very passionate in my beliefs, and I'm sure you are as well. No hard feelings, ok?
Except for the part where you brought up politics in another picture thread just 15 minutes ago, talking about "illegals" taking our jobs in the "Things you want but don't have" thread. So I'm not sure that lesson was learned too well, and again, although the post got deleted, the lack of a TO yesterday and and today is a little baffling by comparison.
__________________
It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack. Not rationality.

Last edited by Queen of Spades; Nov 20, 2012 at 08:01 PM.
Queen of Spades is offline   5 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
App reviews censored ? sillywabbit iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Oct 30, 2013 11:38 PM
Apple Maps: Censored Areas meskida iOS 6 15 Aug 20, 2012 02:00 AM
Censored autocorrect sites? moonman239 Wasteland 9 Jul 1, 2012 01:43 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC