Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
http://www.ifans.com/blog/62619/
http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-...g-little--no-Haswell--Project-Denver-at-ISSCC

Samsung to Debut 8-Core ARM Chip Early Next Year

Forget about dual-core or quad-core processors in mobile devices, as the EE Times reports that Samsung will be unveiling an 8-core ARM chip next February at the International Solid-State Circuits Conference in San Francisco. At the conference, which will also include new technologies from Intel and Nvidia, it is expected that Samsung will preview the new system-on-a-chip with two quad-core clusters.

The first cluster is clocked at 1.8 GHz and is intended for high performance apps, while the other runs at 1.2 GHz and is designed for energy efficiency. It’ll be interesting to see if an eight-core mobile processor ever makes it into a future iPhone model, especially since Samsung is the company’s manufacturing partner for chips of this nature.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
As somebody else on here quite rightly put it, companies need to stop worrying about the hardware specs and work on software more.

The galaxy S3 is so smooth they could release another 2-3 major iterations of Android on that hardware at least and add a ton more features.

All about the profit..

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Yay! More = better, right?

Android isn't even properly utilizing 4 cores. Devs aren't gonna code for 8.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Maybe before. Now it's about who gets the exclusives, the first updates, and who has the higher quality apps :p

Are you talking about games? Every single app I used on my iPhone is available and work exactly the same on my Note II. Except for maps. Maps works a lot better.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I find that the apps I use only Nexus 4 are as good as the ones I used on my iPhone.

Tapatalk
Photobucket
Sonos controler
1Password Pro (Now I have worked out how to use it:eek:)
Kindle
Flipboard
Amazon

The tapatalk app is really better (IMHO) than on iOS as it has widgets that one can use for different accounts.

Last edited:

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Are you talking about games? Every single app I used on my iPhone is available and work exactly the same on my Note II. Except for maps. Maps works a lot better.

Oh, that's not the case for me. You wanna talk about tablet apps while we're at it? ;)

The Face

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
At least Samsung are innovating new styles of technologies whether or not it's overkill or not, can't say the same for another company.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Oh, that's not the case for me. You wanna talk about tablet apps while we're at it? ;)

I can't. My experience is mainly from watching tablet videos.

----------

At least Samsung are innovating new styles of technologies whether or not it's overkill or not, can't say the same for another company.

Exactly, Samsungs success is due to innovations towards the future.

The other company's success was due to innovations from the past.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I can't. My experience is mainly from watching tablet videos.

----------

Exactly, Samsungs success is due to innovations towards the future.

The other company's success was due to innovations from the past.

Samsung's success is due to heavy, pervasive marketing. Apple's is due to reputation and marketing. Average consumers don't buy phones thinking "this manufacturer is more innovative."

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
A couple of years ago duel core and quad core were looked upon as unnecessary, same can be said for 8 cores now, at first it will be called unnecessary, but then it will be known for what it really is, innovation. Then it will be the norm.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
A couple of years ago duel core and quad core were looked upon as unnecessary, same can be said for 8 cores now, at first it will be called unnecessary, but then it will be known for what it really is, innovation. Then it will be the norm.

Quad core is still unnecessary. So probably not.

kiltedthrower

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
Samsung's success is due to heavy, pervasive marketing. Apple's is due to reputation and marketing. Average consumers don't buy phones thinking "this manufacturer is more innovative."

Sure they do. It's just worded as "Oh! Look what that phone can do!" I call it semantics. When the iPhone came out, a lot of people were inticed by what the iPhone or the apps could do. It was innovative.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I think you guys only know how to make fallacious arguments.

Dual-core A15 is the way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.