Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage28.png
Apple has released a minor update to OS X Mountain Lion, fixing "an issue with Keychain that can affect 2012 Mac systems." The update weighs in at 26.65MB and can be downloaded through Apple's support site or the Mac App Store.
About OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Supplemental Update 2.0

This update addresses an issue with Keychain that can affect 2012 Mac systems.

This update is recommended for all Mac systems introduced in 2012.
Apple previously released OS X v10.8.2 Supplemental Update 1.0 at the beginning of October.

Article Link: Apple Releases OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Supplemental Update 2.0

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
An update during their week off? Do I detect a faint hope of an imminent iTunes?

No. No, I don't.

jaqueh

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2012
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple has released a minor update to OS X Mountain Lion, fixing "an issue with Keychain that can affect 2012 Mac systems." The update weighs in at 26.65MB and can be downloaded through Apple's support site or the Mac App Store.
Apple previously released OS X v10.8.2 Supplemental Update 1.0 at the beginning of October.

I want them to fix all of the rMBP's graphical glitches!

markob

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2008
I want them to fix all of the rMBP's graphical glitches!
They did that last week. At least that's what they were addressing. On my rMBP I only noticed slowdown once before that, luckily, now I play GW2 without a problem. Most probably the problem is with other games.

I'm happy about this update also, this keychain issue has been driving me nuts.

brueck

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
714 kB for me.

I'm not sure if I'm imagining it or not, but my 15" rMBP seems to be experiencing fewer errors and better battery life after this update.

Last edited:

moxxey

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Just installed, rebooted.

On my 15" rMBP, I see battery at 69%. Good stuff. Click on it and it says 1:49 remaining. What? At 69% :eek:

Apple are really on top of this rMBP battery management issue!

trustme

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
And when is 10.8.3 coming? 10.8.2, with its endless mdworker, sandboxing and wake-from-sleep issues is probably the worst ever 10.x.x release from Apple.

you say that about every new update. you're such a negative nancy.

bobthedino

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
And we're still waiting for 10.8.2 for the 2012 Mac mini - it was released, but Apple has since pulled it.

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
This update is for late 2012 models only, e.g. the new Mini, the 13" rMBP and the - as of yet - unreleased new iMac, who already received the "faulty" 10.8.2 update. Apple pulled the 10.8.2 update last Friday because of these issue essentially leaving everybody who purchased a new system on the weekend in the cold because those systems are only running 10.8.1. You might not think this is serious, but everybody who restored from a 10.8.2 Time Machine backup is getting screwed because you can't use iPhoto, Aperture, iMovie and iMessage anymore.

Apple has yet to release a 10.8.2 update for all those people on new machines running 10.8.1. Common Apple we really need our productivity Apps running again! :mad::mad::mad:

AppleBoyFreak

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
Kentucky
As this fixed the inconvenience that is 2012 Macs hibernating after a certain amount of time in sleep mode? Kinda pi**es me off that it goes into hibernate. Might as well just shut it down. -_-

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
This update is for late 2012 models only
Then do explain why I got the update for my MBA 2012 and managed to install it successfully... The article is correct: it is for all 2012 models (take a good look at what Apple's own description says about models from 2012!). Since this is a supplemental update it requires that you have 10.8.2 installed (not sure if you need to have supplemental 1.0 as well).

As this fixed the inconvenience that is 2012 Macs hibernating after a certain amount of time in sleep mode? Kinda pi**es me off that it goes into hibernate. Might as well just shut it down. -_-
It does that since Lion. You can disable it by setting it to 0 via the commandline. You need to use the following command: sudo pmset -a standbydelay 0. If you do like this feature but only want it to enter standby mode after a certain amount of time you can tell it that too. It takes the amount of time in seconds. Using a value of 86400 would mean it will enter standby mode after 24 hours of sleep.

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
Then do explain why I got the update for my MBA 2012 and managed to install it successfully... It seems the article is correct: it is for all 2012 models. Since this is a supplemental update it requires that you have 10.8.2 installed (not sure if you need to have supplemental 1.0 as well).

Took a look at it again: What I was trying to point out was that people who got their machines after Friday are still out of luck.

Last edited:

southerndude39

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
This update is for late 2012 models only, e.g. the new Mini, the 13" rMBP and the - as of yet - unreleased new iMac, who already received the "faulty" 10.8.2 update. Apple pulled the 10.8.2 update last Friday because of these issue essentially leaving everybody who purchased a new system on the weekend in the cold because those systems are only running 10.8.1. You might not think this is serious, but everybody who restored from a 10.8.2 Time Machine backup is getting screwed because you can't use iPhoto, Aperture, iMovie and iMessage anymore.

Apple has yet to release a 10.8.2 update for all those people on new machines running 10.8.1. Common Apple we really need our productivity Apps running again! :mad::mad::mad:

I think it's actually for the other machines besides what you mentioned as it does not work on the late 2012 mac Mini's.

----------

Took a look at it again: What I was trying to point out was that people who got their machines after Friday are still out of luck.

Correct as it won't update my late 2012 mac mini to 10.8.2 so I'm still stuck on 10.8.1.

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
I think it's actually for the other machines besides what you mentioned as it does not work on the late 2012 mac Mini's.

No people who got their 2012 models before last friday and attempted the software update received a "faulty" version of 10.8.2. For those people Apple issued this update. It supposedly fixes a security issue with the keychain. You and me and everybody else who just happened to purchase their new 2012 machines on the weekend are still out of luck, which feels kinda unacceptable considering that a lot of Apple's productivity apps are still not working for us and this is already the third work day after they pulled the update...

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Odd and mildly irritating that Apple lists this as an update compatible with all machines running 10.8.2, when it appears to only be for 2012 machines. I'm guessing that's why I'm not seeing it on my work computer (a low end Mid-2011 Mac mini) and why I'll likely see it on my Mid 2012 non-retina 15" MacBook Pro.

Though amusing that Apple appears to have so many software glitches with Mountain Lion on these new machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.