Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yazz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
Hi guys,

I just upgraded to OSX 10.7 in order to be able to download iTunes 10.7 in order to be able to sync my new iPhone 5. I managed to download iTunes 10.7 from the Apple website and it installed perfectly fine. It will not launch though. I keep getting an error message:

"iTunes cannot be opened because of a problem.

Check with the developer to make sure iTunes works with this version of MAC OS X. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and MAC OS X.

This report will be sent to Apple automatically."

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I've tried restarting. I've tried the PRAM reset thing. I've repaired permissions through Disk Utility. I don't know what on earth else to do.

I'm pretty sure that I'm losing my sanity now, so if any of you have a solution, please help me before it's too late.

Oh and QuickTime won't launch either. Other apps are fine. I have a JAVA update that keeps popping up but won't complete downloading/installing because it says the server is not available. Don't know if that's relevant.

Please help this crazy lady out.

Thanks

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Unless I'm mistaken iTunes for OS X requires QuickTime to function, so, I'd try trashing QuickTime and iTunes and then reinstalling them. Installing QuickTime first and checking to see if it's functional and then installing iTunes.

Yazz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
Unless I'm mistaken iTunes for OS X requires QuickTime to function, so, I'd try trashing QuickTime and iTunes and then reinstalling them. Installing QuickTime first and checking to see if it's functional and then installing iTunes.

Ok, I managed to uninstall both.

Was able to successfully reinstall a different version of QT and it's working now. No such luck with iTunes though, still getting the same error message.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Ok, I managed to uninstall both.

Was able to successfully reinstall a different version of QT and it's working now. No such luck with iTunes though, still getting the same error message.

I'm wondering if you may gotten a bad install of 10.7 Lion and it's the cause of iTunes not working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.