Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:01 PM   #1
mikethewxguy
macrumors member

Router recommendationds: Airport Extreme or ?

Greetings all

I will be in need of a new router within the next 6 months (moving from Germany to Korea). I have always wanted an Airport Extreme, as it is probably the only piece of apple equipment that I haven't already or currently own

I also read the ocassional bad review on them...but not sure if it is the infamous apple bashing or just that it isn't a really good router. Could I please have your thoughts on the performance of the airport extreme?

As far as other routers go...I have almost ordered the D-Link DIR-655. I owned it a few years ago and it was a really nice router. There seems to be newer D-Link models out there now, but everyone seems to still recommend the DIR-655.

Please note: If it makes any difference, I will be coupling whatever router I buy with a StrongVPN enabled router (Linksys E4200) that will give all my devices a US IP address - which comes in handy when you are overseas and want to watch Netflix . My understanding is that I will just connect the VPN router to my regular router....then connect the devices that I want an US IP address on the VPN router, while connecting regular devices to the regular router. Hope I have that rigth anyway...

Anyway, thanks so much for your thoughst and recommendations!

Mike
mikethewxguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:46 PM   #2
jayhawk11
macrumors 6502a

Are there other options out there with a lot more features? Sure. But I have yet to use another router that is as reliable as an AirPort Extreme. Super easy to set up, super easy to manage and you can literally set it and forget it for the rest of the time you own it.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:51 PM   #3
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

As long as you don't need QoS or any advanced features, its one of the best. Its actually THE most reliable piece of Apple gear I have ever owned (5 years and counting now).
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:02 AM   #4
lexvo
macrumors 6502a

I agree with the previous posters. The Airport Extreme is more expensive when you compare it on features. But is is very reliable and also easy to set up. Also things like wireless wake on lan work right out of the box.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:54 AM   #5
mikethewxguy
macrumors member

Thanks for the replies everyone! I will see what I can do...but you have all just nudged me back towards the Airport Extreme
mikethewxguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:38 AM   #6
Weaselboy

Here is a very thorough review of the latest AE. Echoing what others said, not the cheapest, but the AE works well and is very easy to manage with the Airport Utility application. Another plus is you can manage the AE with the iOS Airport Utility app also.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals